[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poverty = Happiness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
Are people who are consistently poor throughout their lives happier than rich people?

I am starting to seriously think so. Consider:

Poor are ok in shitty conditions: if a rich man moves to a poor neighborhood, he feels horrible, even suicidal, while the poor there are pretty much used to such bad conditions, they are often enough even happy with daily things.

Poor are big spenders: the rich man likes money because of its potential power, because of safety etc..., the poor man likes money because it mostly allows him to have quick fun. So it is fair to say that poor people spend mostly on entertainment, while rich people don't, therefore poor people are naturally more entertained. Poor people won't even get bored with their spendings, because soon enough they won't have money!

Richfags suicide: Rich people kill themselves very often. Holy shit, rich countries have high suicide rates, and a higher suicide rate than a homicide rate, often twice as high!

Religions propose voluntary poverty: Buddhism, Christianity, etc propose poverty, even extreme poverty, as a lifestyle towards happiness/heaven/nirvana. It seems poverty itself makes you happy.

Money, and wealth, requires work: The more money and wealth you have, the less free time you get. Wealth pretty much makes you a manager, a leader, and that is a hard full time job. Wealth spoils you, you won't be able to live without it easily, so you have a big motivation to worry. The kind of mental work expected from you will be equivalent to afternoons of hard math homework. As long as you are a normal human being, money will take a mental toil on you. Even if you start partying hard with it, unlike the poors, you won't run out of money before an overdose or high tolerance for entertainment. You will be either bored, or on rehab, or doing math, that is, if you don't die.

Fake friendships, fake life: Your personal life will be basically shit because of it. Everyone will lie to you, and you will lie to everyone.
>>
>>905243
Fuck no.

t. third world.
>>
it´s no fun lacking proteins to develop your intellect, dying from mild diseases, being a wage slave or cannon fodder, etc.
>>
I often wish I was born into a poorer family that I actually loved.

But then I realize that I'd likely have the same social problems, only I'd lack money too.
>>
>>905243
Yeah that's why crime is more rampant in poor areas and areas with extreme income inequality.

They are so happy they turn to crime :^)
>>
Let's try an experiment OP. Hand over everything you have to me. Do you need my paypal details?
>>
OP makes a fair statement, but all you faggots need to ruin it. It's either that the containment boards are leaking or that the plebbit post on /r/4chan caused a mass migration.
>>
File: a12934.png (205 KB, 600x265) Image search: [Google]
a12934.png
205 KB, 600x265
>>905243
When the poor man becomes Unhappy with his shitty conditions, when the poor man starts to feel regret and Depression, that is when he internally starts to get rich. He feels so bad about it, next time he might as well save his earnings. He might save it once, twice, three times, four, five, and he might be able to spend it on better conditions: a better house, books, investments, skill, social network, his country etc. He might even work hard for it, he is sure he can endure and get used to work and responsibility. If fate allows it, this man will, because of the manifestation of his Constant Unhappiness, become a worthy fellow of society.

Only through such torment, can a man endure the effort towards civilization. A Constant Unhappiness is the basis of society, a country built on it and will perish if it is taken away. There is no such thing as happy growth, growth itself is the abstraction of eternal self-change, a definition of great psychological discomfort. The thing that comes to mind to represent growth is a man taking a cold shower on winter forever.

If philosophy is only possible within civilization, is proportional to it, the core of philosophy is dissatisfaction, an eternal one-dimensional struggle filled with regret, sadness; a never ending torture until death; an infinite self-hate only the relentless platonic saint could endure.
>>
Yes, because months of agony because you have to choose between your family eating or you going to the dentist, sure is a happy experience, right?
>>
File: 1458787023486.gif (91 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1458787023486.gif
91 KB, 320x320
>>905243
If this was true, why do poor shitskins go to rich western Europe/US?
>>
>>905334
Poor are big spenders, if you give them free money they will sure take it
>>
Good theory OP. Why don't you move to Zimbabwe and try it on for size?

In all honesty, I hope you are baiting. There's no way poor are happier than rich. No matter what caste you are in, you're gonna have problems. It's a part of human life. Additionally, psychological research notes a kind of happiness complex where really rich people aren't happier than rich people. After a certain point, you start to stagnate.
>>
The only people who see the appeal of Asceticism live in prosperous societies m8
>>
>>905346
I do visit poor areas, and people there are really happy
>>905358
You are not considering poor as ascetics, I see
>>
>>905264
Being born from a poor family implies you have the genes selected for such environment. If you are born from a family that was poor for 10 generations, your genes will make you resilient like a homeless monkey, you will be able to spray shit in your face while injecting aids. The more consistently poor your family is, the less health problems you will have. Half of romans used to die before age 5, now no one dies before this age, our modern genes will soon become a fragile retarded mess unless we apply the necessary eugenics to solve this.
>>
>>905254
There is a popular song on my country(third world) that goes like this: "I just want to be happy, to walk in the slum I was born in, and to be able to be proud, to have conscience that poor man has his place"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5FO0buG_eo

There are many songs of poor fucks telling how awesome it is to be poor here. At most, they will call on violence, but they are often violent people themselves.
>>
>>905243
If a poor person can be content with being poor, then they can be happy.

If a rich person can be content with his riches, then he can be happy.
>>
>>905378
>I do visit poor areas, and people there are really happy
So move.
>>
>>905547
I don't understand the conclusion "to move". I have the right to choose between happiness and work, I don't have to snort cocaine just because it makes me happy, you super retard.
>>
>>905559
I assumed happiness was the end goal, chill out
>>
>>905574
Oh right, I am sorry.
>>
>>905243
No, this is just capitalism propaganda, poor people have terrible lives, in argentina we have villa 31, people get killed every night, and is wehere the narc distribute their substances, they use the poor as shield.
Rich people have beautifull lifes.
As a low class in a third-world country i'm telling you: Poverty is one of the worse thing that can happen to you
>>
>>905539
Nice, a fucking asshole justifiing system flaws and corruption with a stupid song, this is why we thirdworld cannot develop. Ignore him he is probably involved in politics.
>>
>>905588
>poverty is happiness
>capitalism

holy shit, puto
>>
>>905243

People who see meaning in their life, easily adapt to changes and are in control of themselves are happy. Not a rich/poor thing. You should look up studies on salutogenesis.

The truth in various ascetic doctrines is incredibly poignant, but it's about self-mastery. A wealthy person can be happy if he's not rigidly rooted in his wealth.

Nobody can deny crime and disease ravaging the poor. But the problem with all the gains of wealth and societal progress is that it isolates you.
>>
Happy people got zero reason to stress out about being rich. You need to be cucked by life at first to decide that money can solve your problems.
>>
>>905588
Not all poors think like this. As I said, poor people like to spend money, so they definitely crave it to have fun, but they are pretty settled in their lives. I didn't understand the relation between capitalism and happy poorfags, I am sorry
>>
its because most poor people are unconscious and uneducated about the horrors of life...
>>
>>905588
Argentina murder's rate is 5.5, that is close to US, which is 4.6, even though Argentina's per capita is much, much, poorer. So it seems crime is not related to poverty, at least not in your country. Your suicide rate is around 10(US is 12 by the way), so it seems for every murder, there are 2 suicides in your country, and for every murder in America, there are 3 suicides. Suicide is increased is wealth, as predicted, while homicide is more unrelated to it.

Now, what the fuck has this to do with capitalism, OP is clearly not a capitalist if he believes money makes you unhappy. You are fucking mentally ill
>>
This entire thread is a bad case of [citation needed].
>>
>>907161
Citation doesn't prove a thread, not even evidence proves it, only logic does. Imagine if I said "women are smart", then showed three citations and a smart woman. Would that prove that women are smart to you? No. If all women are smart I should prove it, through logic, as an inherent quality of the human female identity. One is not worthy if he is not rigorous enough to rely on logic, but just evidences and citations. Now tell me, have I committed a logical fallacy on OP? What is wrong with it?
>>
Happiness comes from having a good philosophy of life.
>>
File: 1455393884215.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1455393884215.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>905647
Truth. 10/10 post anon.
>>
>>905243
>shit rich hipsters say
>>
>>905243
t. Out of touch first world retard
>>
>>905378
>I do visit poor areas, and people there are really happy
we are making the best of a bad situation but obviously we would be happier with money and opportunities. Kys dumb hipster fuck
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.