[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did you guys learn from reading metaphysics? Share your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8
File: 1450039920310.jpg (7 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
1450039920310.jpg
7 KB, 228x221
What did you guys learn from reading metaphysics?

Share your most impressive insights.
>>
>>905084
u can't kno nuffin
>>
>>905087
That's epistemology though.
>>
I learned that morality is subjective
>>
>>905084
Whatever you think of is true for you.
>>
File: 1436717240685.jpg (31 KB, 450x597) Image search: [Google]
1436717240685.jpg
31 KB, 450x597
Aristotle solves the mind-body problem in the most bullshit way possible.
>>
File: 1360186082463.jpg (69 KB, 569x681) Image search: [Google]
1360186082463.jpg
69 KB, 569x681
>>905084
I've discovered neoplatonism and since that day my life is wonderful !
>>
File: download (12).jpg (14 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (12).jpg
14 KB, 225x225
I am not my thoughts, I am the space those thoughts take place in (I am, therefore I think)

We exist because of a primordial thirst for life and being

There exists a region of those who are, and those who become. Being and becoming.

The greatest conceivable test and undertaking is "imposing the character of Being on Becoming", in other words, realizing what is antithetical to everything shitty about life in the middle of the chaos of life itself, like trying to keep a candle lit in a blizzard

That most people do not think, but are thought; they are acted upon by external forces and conditions and are not fully volitional agents themselves

The conditioned must necessarily proceed from the unconditioned

Perfection is the full actualization of one's unique Self

We are infinite Self experiencing itself in infinite refraction

There is no morality, only purity and impurity.

But most importantly, whatever This is, I am It and It is me. Everything's going to be all right. It's like being metaphysically confy
>>
That metaphysics is a misnomer that runs the risk of persuading individuals of the "forms" or any "transcendental" bullshit.

That nihilism as a psychological condition is the result of placing value outside of the universe, i.e. in faith, nothingness, the meaningless, notions of "the beyond," and fantasy.

That in order to say Yes to all of life one must be able to say yes to every No towards life as well.

That it is pointless to talk about an object without considering the observer of the object as well. The subject and the object are interdependent and should not be regarded as opposites.

That everything is an interpretation, including this statement, because of the infallible effect of subject and object being interdependent in all scenarios of life.

That the numbers 0 and 1 are both fantasy, because zero cannot be represented in life (it is non-life, outside of it) and in order for there to be one thing there must be a second thing to observe it.

That psychology is really about the subject-object relationship of the individual and the self.

That the universe is both finite and infinite, sensical and nonsensical.

That change alone is unchanging, any notion of permanence is fantasy. All things are like the immeasurable number of droplets which form the whole river. However, reductionists use this observation to overcome their opponents and promote religions of simplicity and peace. This is only MY interpretation, however.

That truth is subject to the impermanence of all things as well. It does not maintain itself without power by its side.

Power is the ultimate will. Taste is a measure of the higher form of power in mankind and it requires a highly refined eye to see how to compare tastes.
>>
>>905315
How do you define power? Truth, by definition, cannot be impermanent.
>>
Are you the same guy that got BTFO in another thread a few hours ago?
>>
>>905368
I've been on 4chan since 2009 and I never lost an argument.
>>
>>905250
>>905315
Am I supposed to not be able to understand any of this?
>>
>>905379
You must pick your opinions well then :^)
>>
>>905380
What don't you get?
>>
>>905387
It all sounds way too vague to have any practical meaning too maybe, but maybe I'm autistic.

>The conditioned must proceed from the unconditioned
>There is no morality, only purity and impurity

Literally what?
>>
>>905400
Don't worry about it
All this stuff is just a way for men with small dicks to feel important and intellectual.
Technically though it all makes sense only because it's literally impossible to prove it wrong, since absolutely 0% of what they say is based in any scientific facts or ideas
>>
>>905250
>>905315
What books did you read ?
However, i think i attracted to you
>>
>>905400
It's extremely practical. You have to know how to apply it.

>the unconditioned

The conditioned (the reality of inter-dependent and differentiated phenomena that we exist in) must necessarily proceed from what is unconditioned (the cause of contingent phenomena cannot be more contingent phenomena because that doesn't answer the question)

>morality

Evil is impurity, the intrusion of a foreign element (ignorance, the hungers of the flesh. etc.), the "good" is what is purely itself, what is totally self-possessed and self-sufficient, resting in the unconditioned experience of the true Self elfthat is responsible for and presupposes all smaller, egoic selves.
>>
That Christ is Lord.
>>
>>905436
That's just a contrived way of saying that people are generally good beings but driven to do evil things by certain circumstances they need to overcome, there's nothing metaphysical about that.

The first one is still literally what? It sounds like an argument for god or the big bang?

I'm inclined to agree with >>905427.
>>
>>905436
But ignorance and the hungers of the flesh aren't foreign elements. If anything, ignorance is more native to a human mind than the alternative, and denying one's fleshy desires is denying something intrinsic to your humanity. Your logic is inconsistent.
>>
>>905445
No, it says that the only thing that truly exists is the pure, eternal Self, which is devoid of all category and limitation.

only when this Self delimits itself by incarnating in imperfect, contingent bodies, and further delimits itself by fixating and solidifying around mental complexes (like the ego-narrative, paraphilias, neuroses, the erroneous feeling that one's self is equivalent to the body, or appearance, or his thoughts, etc) does evil as a reality begin to exist

Its an argument for the transcendent source of real
>>
>>905467
What have you based all this on? Have you done experiments?
>>
>>905448
Foreign from the perspective of this pure Self. There is nothing compelling us to indulge the flesh. It is a dead thing. Matter can only compel with sensation, feeling, emotion, arousal, it cannot intrude on our volition directly.

There's nothing wrong with any of this stuff, but it's like playing with fire if one doesn't have the presence of mind to be the lord of his passions and not the other way around.
>>
File: 1413485232385.jpg (31 KB, 396x382) Image search: [Google]
1413485232385.jpg
31 KB, 396x382
>le dumb stemfag can't stomach philosophy memee
>>
>>905477
Study, meditation, and watching the movements of my own mind m8

Watch your mind the next time you get a huge urge to fap. You'll learn a lot.
>>
>>905488
I'll try to keep an open mind about it.
>>
File: 1445146681234.png (279 KB, 800x430) Image search: [Google]
1445146681234.png
279 KB, 800x430
>>905484
Why are philosofags always so butthurt over STEM?

Can't you imagine that there are people who are interested in both?
>>
>>905467
this isn't philosophy, just the ramblings of a pothead
>>
File: 58243361.jpg (86 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
58243361.jpg
86 KB, 400x400
>>905495
>why are people butthurt about stale bait meme
>>
>>905498
These are insights into reality you can find in the Upanishads, and predate even them. You don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>905502
what you've said is completely without meaning unless you clearly define your terms
>>
>>905508
What do you want defined?
>>
>>905511
>>905467
essentially every noun in this dribble
>>
>>905502
Do you know how old the marijuana plant is, bro?
>>
>>905524
The Self: Beyond-Being. The absolute reality that presupposes and is the Ground of all other realities, entirely beyond category or description.

Contingent: conditioned, finite, impermanent, dependent on what is outside itself for perpetuation

Delimitation: introducing category, quality, attributes to what is essentially attribute-less. To say something is red is to say it is also not-blue, etc. To define something is to limit it.

Ego-narrative: the small, mundane "I" that believes it is a permanent, intrinsic self with a name, a hometown, a blood type, a favorite food, etc.

Evil: what is potential in all subject-object relations, as evil can only be a harm inflicted by one agent on another, and at the level of the pure, unified Self there can be no evil for all is unity

I leveled with you. do me a favor and level with me in return
>>
>>905573
How do you know the self even exists? If you take a person as an example. What is the self if not a combination of brain and the rest of his body? Are you talking about the soul? Where is it located?
>>
>>905587
The self is the only thing that exists, the only thing that has ever existed. That is, all mentation, all cognition, could not exist if it did not also occur in the "irreducible immediacy" of experience. This ineffability of the present moment is the field and ground of everything there is, which is why the Buddha is the awakened one. He is awake to this state that is implied by all other states in the very fact of their existence
>>
>>905641
But you have no evidence of this except your word and the words of others.
>>
>>905702
lol

m8 read what I fucking said.
>>
>>905084
Perhaps this is difficult for you to fathom. But some topics are interesting to people, while others are not.
>>
>>905352
>How do you define power?
I don't find it easily definable in words, but here goes: Power is the energy that results from overcoming something. Will to power, the striving towards power, is what all of life is.

>Truth, by definition, cannot be impermanent.
By definition. I use the term loosely here. You have to grasp the rest of what I was saying first.
>>
>>905717
Not him but it's really hard to understand, you seem to have trouble with the English language
>>
>>905848
I think I'm assuming too much familiarity with the terms and you guys have no idea where I'm coming from.
>>
>>905848
It's all clear to me. The problem people are having understanding anon is that they possess none of the relevant background. You'd basically be saying I don't know how to talk about food if I were a chef going on about malliard reactions and the aesthetics of texture and all you know is that hot pockets come from a microwave.

He really couldn't simplify it much more, most of this shit takes a year or so of intensive reading and study to not feel like a retard, much less not look like one talking about it.
>>
File: jeanpaul.jpg (96 KB, 700x328) Image search: [Google]
jeanpaul.jpg
96 KB, 700x328
>>905380
In a way, yes. But anyone perceptive enough could also pick up some books and reach an understanding.
>>
>>905427
>it's literally impossible to prove it wrong
Can you provide scientific evidence for this claim?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.