[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about Maori /his/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 24
File: new-zealand-maori.jpg (42 KB, 740x504) Image search: [Google]
new-zealand-maori.jpg
42 KB, 740x504
Tell me about Maori /his/
>>
>>905071
They literally ate an entire tribe of pacifists

It was like a /pol/ joke

>hello new friends, would you like to be equals?
RAAAAWWWRRR

OM NOM NOM
>>
>>905071
Hard cunts who were hated by everyone else but were just too damn good to be killed off. They were also one of the few indigenous peoples to really mount a proper resistance to English colonization and they had a remarkable amount of success at it.

They get along with kiwis much better than abos do with 'strayans.
>>
a people who existed as long as the white man but in 50000 years only managed to invent the pineapple
>>
File: Maori tribes.png (43 KB, 695x794) Image search: [Google]
Maori tribes.png
43 KB, 695x794
>>905071
Surprisingly violent tribesmen that have equally surprising diversity despite being descended from a few drifters from neighboring islands.

They perform haka rituals before competitions, battle, weddings, parties, and pretty much any time a group of Maori assemble. The bloke in your picture is showing his tongue to tell whoever he is challenging that he is going to eat them after the battle is over.
To be consumed was the ultimate defeat for a warrior. The wide eyes, shouting, and power poses they assume all add into the power show.
As far as their fighting went, it was brutal and intimate. They had no metal working skills, so wood and jade were popular weapon materials for them. A good jade club could shatter a jaw or fracture other bones. They are large people overall, but the men tend to be much larger than the women.
In the continental U.S., other polynesians and them often get swept up into gangs due to their large size and proud culture
>>
>>905101
This too, they seem to have had a better history with colonists for the past century
>>
>>905101

>They were also one of the few indigenous peoples to really mount a proper resistance to English colonization

How so? They signed the 'hey give us all your land for these glass beads' style treaties like everyone else.
>>
>>905108
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM

haka is fucking brutal, love how NZ adopted that little part of their culture
>>
>>905129
Where is this?
>>
>>905156
No idea, it's a funeral of some NZ soldiers who were killed in Afghanistan
>>
>>905129
those are some really good looking dress uniforms

reminds me of early 20th century american uniforms
>>
Doesn't every NZer with even just one drop of Maori blood claim to be Maori?
>>
File: web.maori_.jpg (48 KB, 700x420) Image search: [Google]
web.maori_.jpg
48 KB, 700x420
> I bring you tattooed heads, now gib rifles and ammo
>>
>>905174
>not wanting a sweet tattooed head on your mantelpiece
>>
>>905071
awesome rugby players!
>>
>>905071
A Scandinavian toy company once pissed them off for using Maori words in a new toyline.
>>
>>905174
Nigel Thornberry?
>>
>>905071
>Hawaiian
>Went on small boat
>Found NZ
>Fucked shit up
>Got turned into alcoholics by the british
>Alcoholics and criminals
>>
>>905186
Didn't they sort of start mass-producing these because they were so valuable to westerners so you could get sweet muskets?

Mass-producing as in "normally this would be the head of an important person with face tattoos that tell about it, but we just cut off some random head and tattooed with nonsense because the westerners can't tell the difference"
>>
File: union jack.png (13 KB, 1280x640) Image search: [Google]
union jack.png
13 KB, 1280x640
>>905137
agreed.
>>
>>905211
Maori actually have a copyright on every word of the Maori language.
No, I don't know who the fuck signed that deal.
>>
Scary cunts desu.
>>
>>905337
You must be retarded
>>
>>905172
I know Americans like to make a point about any drop of Amerindian blood they may or may not have. My family used to clame to be part Cherokee until my mother actually did some genealogy and couldn't find the source. It makes colonizers feel like they have a claim to the land.

That said, you don't need a drop of native blood to pay respect to the culture. Genes and memes are separate.
>>
>>905337
kek
>>
>>905341
Wait all of them?
That's a pretty sick birth right
>>
>>905071
Maoris where awesome, they used to fight all the time, hunted the largest birds on earth and ate hearts of their enemies for higher standings.

Everything about their culture is angry and brutal. They are excellent soldiers and come from the coolest culture.

When we compare our Maori to Abos or American Indians and so on I think we got the best of the lot.
>>
>>905071
They're epic stuntmen apparently. Some of them worked on lotr, among other projects. In the behind the scenes footage you can see them performing a haka ritual in honor of Viggo Mortensen on his last day on set. Pretty cool.
>>
>>905545
>tfw American with actual drop of injun blood but can't ever bring it up without people thinking i'm one of the "1/64th 100% RED NATIVE CHEROKEE PRINCE N SHEEEIT"
>>
>>905584
So they were basically orcs
>>
>>905628
The wars for middle earth ended long ago. We try leave those conflicts in the past. Don't bring them up. We all lost family and friends during that hard time.
>>
>>905624
How much Amerindian are you?
>>
>>905680
Only 1/16th, like I said just a drop, but I don't claim to be anything other than a pasty white guy, I just think it's something neat.
>>
>>905108
Why were there so many more tribes on the North Island
>>
>>905694
South Island is mountany and so on. Even today you can see a huge difference in the 2 islands in terms of population and urbanization.

South Island has like only 1/4 of the population. Just not as good of a place to live overall.
>>
>>905584
Haha no

Our indians would curb stomp the Maori
>>
>>905751

You think American Natives (who are pretty much drug ridden hippies) could put up a fight? Maori where using trenches and forts for centuries. Native Americans could never make it through a mighty pah, let alone bet the Maori War Canoes.

There is a reason why the Maori are famous for their war efforts over the last world wars and more and the Indians claim to fame are "talking code for a bit" during WW2.
>>
>>905772
I think I'll side with the people who could BTFO a post-napoleonic army with primitive cavalry
>>
> Asking for actual information in an Indoeuropean Throat singing forum

Does anyone know their genetic composition and why they look so different to nig- abos?

Also it is theorized that mapuches have maori blood which would explain their tendency to eat the heart of enemies, wear a toki axe and be assholes to every tribe around them
>>
>>905689
That's how most Americans regard it. At least in my experience. It in no way affects how they live but they think it's neat because they feel like they have a little more claim to the land.
>>
File: face085.gif (817 KB, 200x233) Image search: [Google]
face085.gif
817 KB, 200x233
>>905783
>cannibalism is a genetic trait
>>
>>905780
4000 Maoris took on 18000 British Soldiers.

Did Native Americans ever fight a battle so one sided? probably hoped on horse and ran away like cowards.

Did American Indians storm the German trenches of Africa? Or face off the first ever air invasion on the island of Crete?

Nah they just spoke a dead language for like a year then went back to smoking that peace pipe.
>>
>>905567
And yet Lego managed to keep some of the words, like "Kanohi."
>>
>>905783
Maori like all Polynesians are a mix of Papuans and the little Asian rice farmers that got kicked in their boats basically in exchange for Papuans crops like Banana, Sugarcane, Coconut, etc.... Problem is none of those crops do well except northern North Island on North Face hills and walls for micro climate purposes.

So it was all kind of for nothing, elsewhere it was beneficial.
>>
>>905805
Ill correct myself, i was refering as a cultural trait

Maybe if you wrote in a second language youll know my strife
>>
>>905917
Funny that people from one island practically cucked the whole of polynesia
>>
File: Polynesia-Pacific_Culture_Areas.jpg (112 KB, 872x567) Image search: [Google]
Polynesia-Pacific_Culture_Areas.jpg
112 KB, 872x567
>>906011
It was my understanding that the peoples of the Pacific islands had surprisingly little impact on the aboriginals of Australia. They neither colonized the coasts or even traded that much.

I assume this was because Pacific islanders had the good sense to keep away from the shittiest continent to ever exist.
>>
>>905437
>You must be retarded.

Britcuck detected.
>>
File: 1445417568378.jpg (30 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
1445417568378.jpg
30 KB, 500x450
>>906037
They feared the bantz
>>
>>905689
I'm at 1/8th but pretty much a white dude. I do however have a tribal card that I carry.
>>
>>905694
>>905720
This anon said it well, but it also comes from the large tribe in the South being to rugged. The mountains made for a harsh environment already, so competition for land was fierce.
>>
>>905106
Pineapples were developed in mexico by the olmecs
>>
>>905211
arent all the bionicle shits based on maori stuff loosely?
>>
File: 1452110996230.jpg (116 KB, 400x800) Image search: [Google]
1452110996230.jpg
116 KB, 400x800
>>905772
>American Natives (who are pretty much drug ridden hippies) could put up a fight?
>Comanche
>Apache
>Sioux
>Yuma

>>>>>drug ridden hippies
>>
>>906481
Originally they were, but they moved away from it after the first few years. After that they just stuck z's, k's, and x's everywhere and called it a day.

>tfw remembering those first few comfy years of biomechanical Polynesian tropical islander tribes
>>
>>906037
or maybe they saw a huntsman spider and noped the fuck out never to come back
>>
>>906037
The currents didn't lead back to Australia like they did for the islands they colonized.
>>
>>906514
When the going got tough and they lost they quit and turned to hippies mate. Compared to Maoris who fought a ridiculously one sided war and lost but didn't turn into sore losers afterwards. Hence why they continued to and even today make NZ proud. They still have their fighting spirit.

American Indians are literally a joke. 99% of movies, comedies and so on about them are jokes. They aren't on the same level at all.

Drug ridden hippies is a very good description.
>>
White NZ fag here
They were a group of people from in and around the cook islands who migrated to new zealand sometime between 1200 and1300 in a few waves. At first they were content with agriculture but as population s flourished a warrior culture emerged. Much like japanese fuedal systems they had a system that revolved around a cycle of revenge and 'mana' (personal prestige/honour). Their system of combat was not organised in armies but was more warrior oriented. Most of their combat was around the sieges of Pa which are wooden forts that were erected very quickly. They had no metal work and relied on hard woods, whale bones, stone and greenstone (jade) for weapons. They did use obsidian for tools however there isnt much evidence to show that it was ussd in warfare due to how scarce and valuble it was. Their main weapons consisted of fighting staves that look much like spears but are not sharp. They also used mere which are short clubs mad of either bone, stone or jade. Interestingly they werent used in a clubbing motions but rather to jab. It was said that if you hit somebody in the head cleanly enough that if you flicked your wrist you could open their skull. In defense of their forts they also used spears up to 4 meters long. All of their weapons were decorated beautifully with carvings and this continued through maori sevice units in WW1 and WW2 on the stocks of rifles. They had a pantheon of gods like many tribal civilisations along with demons or taniwha (tuh-nee-faa) that were said to lay in wait in many of the waters around the country. It is true that cannibalism was fairly common upon defeating an enemy however whether europeans blew it out of proportion in often argued. After europeans came to the country intertribal warfare raged for 20 or so years with the newly introduced muskets granting power to those that could obtain them. As more europeans arrived, conflicts started with maori which finally ended in the treatyof Waitangi being signed. Cont.
>>
>>906702
Cont.
The treaty has been a matter of contension between whites and maori since its signing in 1840. Arguments over the translation that was given to maori to sign is supposedly misleading according to some. Some claim the word Rangatiratanga translates to sovereignty which the treaty was interpretted to imply the moari would govern them selves separately from the crown. Throughout the 1840s to the 1860s the New Zealand wars further separated maori from settlers and the moari found themselves having less and less land due to being pressured into sales or not comprehending the sales themselves. Those that clung onto their so called paganism were impoverished where as those who converted found comfortable lives among european settlements for the most part. Although up until recently their has been a large amount of prejudice against maori they have served the country in its armed forces for the last 100 or so years. Maori and pacific island battalions and expeditionary forces were among the most feared in the commonwealth forces during the world wars. If anyone is interested i can share some more about specific things you'd lime to know.
>>
>>906586
>not being canibles whose culture revolves around war is a bad thing and it makes you a hippy
>>
>>906749
Their culture is now an enlightened one. They are hugely active in sports, performing arts and their brightest often excel in leadership roles.

Which is exactly why they are so good when it comes to kick ass alongside us whiteys.

But sure, go back to your native american hippies. Im sure they have lots to show for themselves that doesn't include being roasted by all forms of media.
>>
>>906756
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>906747
>you'd lime to know
I thought they liked Pineapples in the Pacific Islands?

But seriously, when gunpowder weaponry arrived did the warrior culture take it in openly, or did tribes just mobilize people en masse with guns to wipe out the warriors?
>>
>>905071
They were big guys
>>
>>907618
For you
>>
>>905129
>.....the fuck are they doing?
>> It's called a "Haka"....it's their war dance. It's supposed to be intimidating.
>Intimidating? Niggers have clubs, and rocks and shit, are you serious?
>> Ayup....
>Isn't that cute.....OPEN FIRE!!!
>>
>>907599
They seem to have welcomed it as it made the culture of gaining mana easier. The first real record of this is a series of raids starting in 1818 against tribes without muskets. The introduction of more guns from australia sent the tribes into a frenzy leaving about 35000-40000 dead and another 30000 or so in slavery or displaced.
>>
>>907599
I know in Hawaii the chiefs took to gunpowder readily. If I remember Kamehameha made some European cannoner a chief.

>fun fact the Hawaiian royal family is related to the english royal family
>>
>>907599
Also when i say warrior for maori that basically means every adult male. Unlike samurai or knights it wasnt a class above peasants where the majority were farmers. It was similar to greece/rome where most of the warfare took place in summer after the kumara (sweet potato) harvest. Also pineapple wasnt an option. When the maori left the pacific island they bought with them many crops that werent suitable in the colder climate and kumara was one of the only to take hold. However in the south island it didnt and they were forced to eat the pith from certain trees not too disimilar from some other pacific peoples and papua new Guineans.
>>
>>907806
Royalty tends to get related to one another very quickly, don't they? The cannoner stayed there as a chief to produce a few cannons for the Hawaiians? Sounds like a great way to get some qt 3.14's

>>907773
That's a pretty grievous result. And did they use the weapons per their style of traditional fighting, or did they develop some kind of tactics with them?
>>
>>907835
Oh man, that horrid looking white paste that takes the entire village days to produce just to give them enough food for the time it takes to cut down some of the larger trees?
>>
>>905624
In fairness Americans are like that about all ancestry

>oh I'm 2/8ths Japanese on my mother's side, 1/6th slav on my father's, I feel so close to my roots
>>
>>907867
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7c4Y/ancestrydna-lederhosen
As an American, I totally see this everywhere I go. We even have people who feel this strange need to identify themselves with their ancestor's either by tracking families back or doing a DNA test.
I always find it odd... aren't we American?
>>
the maoris overused their resources and had a major population crash long before new zealand was discovered by the white man.

they got through it, but it made things most unpleasant for them.
>>
>>907877
Then why didn't they go full Imperialism and start taking other places over for their resources? Island nations seem really good at it
>>
>>907882
They did, kinda
>>905081
>>
>>907882>>907907
It's pretty interesting to read about how they did that too. They either paid for or hijacked a British merchant ship and crammed it full of warriors, then headed off to Rekohu island and genocided and literally ate the Moriori people, who were strict pacifists.
>>
>>907877
Dude you are confusing Maori for Rapa Nui but you didn't even get that correct
>>
>>905106
better than the abos who invented a stick
>>
>>906756
>being a pack of uncle toms pretending to be savages is a good thing

Abos and natives are hilarious.
>>
>>905156
Burnham, by the looks of it.
>>
New Zealander here
AMA
>>
>>905071
I live in New Zealand.
They are shit cunt thieves who leach of the government then blame them for cutting the benefit
>>
maori is pronounced mouldy, there's something
>>
>>905112
The treaty was them recognising the sovereignty of the the English crown in exchange for keeping all of their lands. Hardly a selling land for beads treaty.
>>
File: 56526e821b0000270029e57c.jpg (120 KB, 630x843) Image search: [Google]
56526e821b0000270029e57c.jpg
120 KB, 630x843
>>
>>909570
>>907876
>>
File: deadlands.png (2 MB, 1559x1039) Image search: [Google]
deadlands.png
2 MB, 1559x1039
Somewhat unrelated but has anyone seen the Maorí film Dead Lands? Is it accurate?
>>
>>907837
>And did they use the weapons per their style of traditional fighting, or did they develop some kind of tactics with them?

The latter, for the most part. They had basically zero projectile weapons before the Brits introduced them to firearms and they were quite clever (IIRC they had IQs in the 90s as opposed to the low 80s in most of Oceania and 60s in Aus) so they took to them like ducks to water and adapted their traditional tactics.
>>
>>908046
Tell me where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him
>>
>>907629
It sure is easy to say that when you're behind a keyboard.
>>
>>905071
>Tell me about Maori /his/

Why do they wear the tats?!
>>
Should have been wiped off the face of the earth. Same with abos and natives.
>>
>>907876
>I always find it odd... aren't we American?

FUCK no, nigger, some of us are TEXANS!
>>
File: the fuck is that.jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
the fuck is that.jpg
4 KB, 225x225
I wonder how lethal their weapons were I mean you can kill a man with a baseball bat but for example pic related doesn't look that dangerous
>>
>>910711
You can fracture bones with a clean hit, but bludgeons make shit weapons compared to piercing weapons.
>>
>>905810
Did the Maori's ever cut the eyelids and the soles of the feet off a prisoner and turn them loose in the middle of a desert?
>>
>>905917
wait, so pacific islanders are some part asian, in the sense of like ching chong asian?
>>
>>910754
No. But they didn't wear fancy T-Shirts thinking it would make them immune to bullets.

Maori did some bad-ass things and where far less retarded.
>>
I'm Maori, don't know that much about the culture though since I've lived in Australia most my life.

That said, how did Maori get Sweet Potato (Kumara) from South America? I've never understood that
>>
>>910930
I'm literally in a native american studies class and when we learned about the ghost dance I was fucking kekking internally. The funny part is the class is 97% natives and the prof is full native so everyone took it super seriously
>>
>>910948

Usually when you study past beliefs that make little sense now, no one bursts out laughing and you keep a certain level of educational standard.
>>
>>909702
It's basically Maori Apocalypto. Quite accurate.
>>
>>910955
No shit. I didn't laugh and was outwardly respectful, but the situation was absurd. It's the modern adherence that's dumb.

I literally asked my professor about the origins of the Navajo people (asking if they came from the Dene of northern Canada) and she said "respecting Navajo beliefs and their oral tradition, the navajo believe they are on the 4th world from the 3rd" and wouldn't give me an academic answer. It was absurd. I'm at a fucking college.
>>
>>910711
Good for causing a concussion and breaking bones but it's not a fast killer that's for sure.
>>
>>910976

It's common practice now in Australian schools to not say that Aboriginals turned up in Australia 40,000 years ago, but to say that they were here since the "time of dreaming".
>>
File: degen.jpg (29 KB, 504x639) Image search: [Google]
degen.jpg
29 KB, 504x639
>>910983
>>
>>910726
>>910977
maybe they wanted to keep them alive
>>
>>910694
Polynesians will still exist long after everyone has forgotten about you. They'll also probably be fucking your daughter and you wont have any way to stop it
>>
>>911098
>Polynesians will still exist long after everyone has forgotten about you...

So will cockroaches, what's your point?
>>
COOK THE MAN SOME FUCKIN EGGS, BITCH!
>>
>>910948
I have to admit, while all cultures have some retardation in them... Native Americans have to rank among the most dumb. Honestly there is a reason they are a big joke.
>>
>>910901
Yes, where else did you think they came from?
>>
>>910031
i grew up with islanders, they'd rarely fight one on one, the surest sign of cowardice.
>>
>>910694
>If the dumb ass savages would have spent more time developing technology
With what? It took a thousand years after the components were known for gunpowder to be invented by China, and even longer for metals to be developed. The hell are a few tens of thousands of people supposed to advance from the stone age to the iron in a fraction of a time it took the Eurasians?
>>
>>905137
You only need like 800 people to create a sustainable gene pool.
>>
>>911470
With the technology imported by the white man, that's with what.

Those dumb niggers willingly walked into the proverbial gun fight with clubs, and that's just stupid.
>>
>>911181
>implying
The natives in the Andes and Mexico were pretty fucking cool.
Hopi and other Pueblo indians get an honorable mention
>>
>>911500
your mum willingly walked into my proverbial club
>>
>>911518
Now don't lie, you know you sold that shit for some white man fire water, since you're too dumb to distill it yourself.
>>
>>909702
It's a great movie. The little fort battle scene is exactly how tribes would do battle with one another.
>>
>>907920
>Rekohu island
Jeez, that is something else
>>
>>910694
>It was even easier saying that behind a bayonet equipped rifle, so what's your point?

Yeah you try actually being the guy behind the rifle whose outnumbered by a horde of literal cannibals next time you claim that. Don't underestimate the psychological effect of a war chant against men thousands of miles away from home.

Bullets and bayonets only go so far.
I guarantee you the men who actually were in such situations were a hell of a lot braver than you would be in that situation and felt a hell of lot less smug about their chances than you feel behind your keyboard.

Calling the Maori "cute" is an insult to the British soldiers that fought against them and died.
>>
>>910711
That weapon would be very lethal.
It has a lot of mass to it relative it's size and a small surface area on it's striking surface.

Think of it liking hitting someone in the head with a dull axe.
>>
>>911829
>being the guy behind the rifle

BTDT, sweet cheeks.

I bet you haven't.

Do, please, keep talking shit, though, and continue to try and impress us all with your valiant tales of stoned aged people.

The Ancient Greeks, or Romans, or hell, even the Ancient Egyptians, could have made any dumb ass Island fucks their bitches, just as easy as the Britfags would, a thousand years later.
>>
>>911829
What really bothers me is when the All Blacks do their stupid little chant before a Rugby game.

Its not intimidating at all if you're playing a goddamn game. You might as well be putting your hands in a circle and yelling "GOOOOOOO TEAM!"
>>
>>911963
It'd fire up your own team better than yelling "GOOO TEAM!".
>>
>>911972
"Good" teams don't need to yell like bitches and dance like faggots to get "fired up".
>>
>>911972
I guess. But they make such a spectacle about it, like the other team has to stand there and watch like chumps.

Its why I've always liked that old commercial where the All Blacks do the Haka and they're playing a bunch of scots who just lift up their kilts after. I think it was for whiskey.
>>
>>905129
Anyone else notice the guy in the ghillie suit just standing there?
>>
>>912021
No.
>>
>>912012
Australia did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D3gzlOZdeI
>>
Pretty much invented trench warefare.

Very similar in certain aspects to american indians.

Watch Utu.
>>
>>912177
That's based.
>>
File: Section_of_stockade_ohaeawai.jpg (112 KB, 668x784) Image search: [Google]
Section_of_stockade_ohaeawai.jpg
112 KB, 668x784
>>910694
You realize Maori were experts in martial arts right? They were the ultimate warrior society, if they got in close (not hard to people with muskets) the british were 100% done for.

Not only that, you assume Maori didn't know how to use guns, they did. When the British were still marching into battle like retards, the Maori pioneered trench warfare. Maori hidden by darkness in the night, would often build elaborate trench complexes and forts right next too British encampments then reign hell down on the British.
>>
>>910976
They are the forth World you retard. There are three major climatic zones where there are athabascan speaking groups north of them. They literally are talking about their migration from Siberia to the Alaskan Arctic to the Prairie States of Canada down to California and finally to southwest America.

How the fuck do you think Navajos in the middle of the desert talking about seas in their origin stories?
>>
>>905783
Distant descendants of Taiwanese aborigines who slowly migrated south
>>
>>912459
>ignoring the papuan component that made it all possible for those people to survive

Also
>Taiwanese origin of Austronesian languages
>not Oppenheimer's theory
>>
>>912469
Please enlighten me
>>
>pfft the haka isn't intimidating
That's easy to say on the internet tough guys. How is being screamed in the face not as intimidating as it becomes without actually using physical violence?
>>
>>912483

I can't confirm, but I feel

>>911948
>>910694

and the others I don't feel like finding MAY be shitposting. Just a theory, needs more testing and observation to find out

also maori are fucking hardasses the only people who can tattoo their face and look more metal than trashy
>>
>>912482
>please enlighten me
>not reading Oppenheimer's theory of Austronesian even though I posted it.
>>
>>910983
[citation needed]
>>
>>910694
dank memes by edgy teens
>>
File: Photo on 30-03-16 at 11.34.jpg (144 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 30-03-16 at 11.34.jpg
144 KB, 1080x720
someone called me Maori yesterday. Kia ora koutou
>>
File: 215097_1.jpg (11 KB, 285x214) Image search: [Google]
215097_1.jpg
11 KB, 285x214
>trying to do a philosophy final
>a literal Maori Haka is going on in the next room
>>
Haka is downright comical and cringeworthy, especially in sports.

https://youtu.be/lyjf4mzfcxU
>>
File: turkish embassy.jpg (73 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
turkish embassy.jpg
73 KB, 500x370
>>913413
>butthurt roaches booing
>>
>>912440
TIL
>>
>>913439
It's the New Zealanders butthurt about roaches walking out during their meme dance.
>>
do Maoris see white people doing haka as cultural appropriation? White people make everything look fucking lame like when they try to act like niggers they are even more tarded than niggers, when they go full weeb they make even japs look not autistic etc and honestly white genocide is best day of my life
>>
>>913528
Do white people see Maoris wearing shoes as cultural appropriation?
>>
>>913539
>Maoris wearing shoes
>>
>>913544
?
>>
maoris would just break your neck and preserve your flesh for when they were hungry

tell you about the maori? just read up on the moriori instead
>>
>>908046
what's the story on maori?
>>
>>905071
Savages conquered #15425561

Praise Britannia, the empire that gives me all this tea and booty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w38iu_1Ceas
>>
>>907876
As a non-American I always thought that was very weird

People identifying as Irish even though nobody in their family has been to Ireland in a hundred years, they don't speak Gaelic or have any ties whatsoever to Ireland besides an ancestry that might as well be made up

>I wear green on St. Patties Day though
>>
>>907876
It's basically wewuzing for white people. Similar to black slaves, white Americans have completely forgotten their roots so now they're trying to "rediscover" them and it's so cringeworthy it's basically on par with LARPing.
>>
>>914037
>>914056
"Irish pride" is acceptable where "White pride" is not. Everybody wants to express their heritage in some way, but many people have been in the US for so long that "white American" is both their heritage and their identity; however, anyone expressing pride in being "white" is a doubleplusungood thought criminal and will be publicly pilloried so instead they just latch on to whatever they think they have the most of because that falls under the banner of "diversity" and is therefore unassailable.

There's also the fact that the Irish in particular came over pretty late, relatively speaking, and so many of them are only two generations or so away from a first generation immigrant and on top of that the Irish in the US have always been very clannish and proud of their roots - more to spite the WASP population than for any other reason IMO.
>We wuz starved by the English and sheeeit
>>
>>914476
Because "white" is largely associated with "Anglo" in the US. The slave owners, the ebul Indian genociders, all were Anglos. You won't get as much scorn for being proud of your Irish or Polish heritage as you would if you said you're a proud WASP.
>>
>>905101
this
it's so weird, but Maoris are great
>>
>>913548
It was very common not long back for Maoris to not wear shoes. They would all walk around in bare feet.

Some still do
>>
>>913397
Get a hair cut. Wear a nicer jacket. You will look more respectable.
>>
>>914535
They're actually respectable, more like. It's difficult to respect Dravidians/niggers/abos/etc. just because of how dysfunctional and/or weak they and their societies are but the Maori were clever, formidable opponents who took being BTFO relatively gracefully after mounting one of the best resistances ever by an indigenous people and as such ended up doing pretty well for themselves.They have their share of problems, to be sure, but it's hard to find another group as outmatched as them that did as well as they did in the end.
>>
>>914584
they aren't perfect but unlike other natives who want seperation the Maoris actually wanted integration. Thats why our society has lots of Maori stuff in it compared to say Abbo culture in Australia and so on.

The Maori guy on our currency was a huge leader in this push.

Not perfect, but hey they aren't bad at all I do agree.
>>
File: ewok.jpg (18 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
ewok.jpg
18 KB, 280x210
They stole some british ship and then sailed to some nearby island that was populated by pacifist Moriori and proceeded to systematically eradicate them. Really fucking evil people all in all
>>
>>905337
rekt
>>
>>912483

What do you not understand about the superiority of steel weapons and firearms?

Niggers in Africa had their stupid "war dances", as did the savages in North America, and they were all mowed down by firearms, and ran through with steel blades and bayonets.

Faggy cheerleader dances are only intimidating to beta faggots and cowards, which is exactly who they were designed for...
>>
>>913439
as a turk i find this funny, why u 2nd class plebs call us roaches, we buttfucked all of u til u started to massmurder south america and steal their stuff
>>
>>915418
What do you not understand about the Maori quickly adopting and excelling at firearm based warfare?
>>
>>907876
>he discovered that he wasn't German at all, but rather mostly Irish. Now he's happy in his kilt.
>Irish
>kilt
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
File: 1332469645989.jpg (6 KB, 272x186) Image search: [Google]
1332469645989.jpg
6 KB, 272x186
>>915422
>mightiest ottoman army of all time literally getting BTFO by poles pretending to be birds
>>
I'm pretty sure there's more maoris in Melbourne than abos

Apart from a few fuckwits they're cool
>>
Ngati Mutunga here, who else here owns a chunk of the Chatham Islands because dirty cucks don't know how to fight?
>>
File: 1448590143124.jpg (78 KB, 537x313) Image search: [Google]
1448590143124.jpg
78 KB, 537x313
>>905081
so you're the "fucking savage" type huh?
>>
>>915770
you ever seen a maori on the piss?
almost invariably all smiles and cheer until they get a skinfull, then it's boogly eyes dodge the punches time
>>
>>915778
just learn to box and you won't get the bash
>>
File: 1396808464536.jpg (979 KB, 1276x850) Image search: [Google]
1396808464536.jpg
979 KB, 1276x850
>>915621
>implying 1683 wasnt the best year ever.
>>
>>911386
you're the one picking fights with groups, man
>>
>>907920
They weren't pacifists, they still fought only till first blood. The Lord Rodney's first mate was kidnapped and held hostage for transport plus the captain was given a cargo hold full of flax in exchange. It's like paying a taxi driver that didn't want to drive you so you hijacked it to get to where you want to go.
>>
>>905584
fucking apaches man
>>
>>906747
Rangatiratanga means chieftanship so is a better fit in the Maori mind for sovereignty that Kawanatanga which means governance, Maori believed they were heading into a partnership agreement with the British of mutual protection, rather than a treaty of full cession.
>>
>>907629
That was not the case at all with many of the battles of the land wars, the British got their asses handed to them
>>
>>905772
>trenches and forts for centuries
Kek. No. They didn't invent trench warfare either.
>>
>>918173
Nobody said they invented trenches dumb ass.

Anyway Jake, a bit of reading will tell you they did indeed use forts for centuries.
>>
Does anyone know of any good books about Maori history?
>>
>>915584
To be fair, I think the Irish did adopt the kilt after the Scottish, and not just the planters from Scotland.
>>
File: Maorifightwvm.webm (2 MB, 632x272) Image search: [Google]
Maorifightwvm.webm
2 MB, 632x272
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Māori
>>
File: 1459347385846.webm (2 MB, 798x720) Image search: [Google]
1459347385846.webm
2 MB, 798x720
>>922850

Seldomly have I seen such a cringeworthy fghting scene...

Club ninjutsu..ugh...
>>
>>905071
are there any reason why the maoris doesn't have contact with outside civilisation prior to western arrival? on the west you got south east asians, further north you got japan, whats preventing them to have contact with other civilisation?
>>
>>925575
The ocean? Seriously, look at a map and see how far it is to the nearest large landmass.
>>
>>923176
The stuff she is doing is called Poi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQLUygS0IAQ

It's theorized that modern Poi dancing came from Patu (those clubs) war dances and exercises.
>>
>>925896

Well whatever this is supposed to be in the movie, it is not a viable martial art and looks tryhard cool. A 40kg woman beating a 100+ kilo male in a fight of medium sized paddle clubs makes it all the more ridiculous.
>>
>>925575
The nearest civilization is about 7000 miles away, on the other side of australia
>>
>>927417
Its exactly as ridiculous as any stylised fight scene in any movie ever
>>
Degenerate pagans.
>>
>>927673
They are the most christian demographic in the country along with islanders
>>
Alright because of you faggots i will have to sit through Once Were Warriors.

Hopefully its good.
Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.