[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you suppose possessed the first man that made a boat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: 1450147878999.jpg (777 KB, 4500x2234) Image search: [Google]
1450147878999.jpg
777 KB, 4500x2234
What do you suppose possessed the first man that made a boat and went out to sea? Like wtf waz he thinking. "Yep. Water as far as the eye can see. It's totally a good idea to get on this piece of wood and see how long it goes on for. I totally won't starve to death seperated unimaginably far from my family."
>>
>>901980

I imagine the earlier boats were made so they could go out further to get fish (makes sense, logically). And then as their boatmaking skills improved they were able to go on longer voyages before finally realizing that besides getting to fish boats could be used to explore, trade, and go on raiding expeditions.
>>
People initially navigated along the coasts.

/thread
>>
>>901980
First boats, or at least rafts, were being used before the first sapiens ever even evolved, homo erectus was able to colonize islands.

I imagine a lot of the first quests out to sea were rafts to hug the coast, and then getting dragged out to the open ocean by currents or a storm.
>>
>>902023
not the polynesians though
they didnĀ“t give a fuck
>>
File: Polynesia-Pacific_Culture_Areas.jpg (112 KB, 872x567) Image search: [Google]
Polynesia-Pacific_Culture_Areas.jpg
112 KB, 872x567
Polenysians tho.
>travel literally thousands of miles into unknown waters using nothing but little canoes and string
>>
>>902836
>string
elaborate
>>
>>902836
Polynesians used ornithological migration patterns, stars, and wave patterns to navigate

They'd plant seeds everywhere they went so they could return later for food
>>
File: Mike_Patton.jpg (11 KB, 236x275) Image search: [Google]
Mike_Patton.jpg
11 KB, 236x275
>>901980
>What do you suppose possessed the first man that made a boat and went out to sea?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt856_nRxQk
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.