[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
History: A Beginner's Guide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
Hello everyone I am wondering,

Where to start learning about history?
Like a list of the best books, documentaries, shows, etc for a total n00b (I would consider myself a newfag even though my friends would disagree).
>>
>>901391
I remember when I was in high school.
Allthough it sounds retarded, Wikipedia and Historical documentary movies helped me achieve who I am today..
>>
Nowadays, there are numerous books written in a way that's light and informing for most people while keeping an interesting pace. Very readable books get published every day on either specific periods or cultures in history or the kind of book that tries to find patterns and causes throughout history in general.
Do you already have a period you are more intersted in? Go out and look on the subject, indeed even Wikipedia can be a great start.
Great books on history at large are for example the books by Jared Diamond, for example Guns, germs and steel.
>>
>>901391
http://pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
>>
START WITH THE GREEKS
>>
>>901391
>where to start learning about history

Well you can start anywhere, and the way I took it was to take my starting point that I read about and look at all the effects of it after it happened and all the causes leading up to it. It'll take you far in both directions and add a lot of context to history for you.
>>
File: 1459015891280.jpg (60 KB, 388x532) Image search: [Google]
1459015891280.jpg
60 KB, 388x532
OP here thank you guys! I just feel like a pleb sometimes and want to find a good start point before growing more.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.