[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubermensch or nah?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12
File: Hannibal-Eating.jpg (8 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
Hannibal-Eating.jpg
8 KB, 630x354
Ubermensch or nah?
>>
All versions up for discussion
>>
The NBC version probably is. That version almost seems like everything he does is a choice, that he's got no real mental health issues that compel him to murder and eat people. He does it because he chooses to do it, and that's ubermensch as fuck.
>>
>>898204
I'd say his little 'aesthetics becomes ethics' speech says he is.
>>
>>898601
>tfw no aesthetics threads on /his/ ever
>>
>>898204
Yeah, I've been saying Mikkelsen's Hannibal is pretty much the only proper portrayal of the übermensch in media for a while now.
>>
Either way his personality goes he's probably too seclusive to be the overman. Cup overflowing and all that.
>>
>>898204
He is danish, so no.
>>
File: when_someone_is_delusional.gif (2 MB, 408x225) Image search: [Google]
when_someone_is_delusional.gif
2 MB, 408x225
>>898250
>choosing to murder and eat people
>no real mental health issues
>>
>>900298
If you don't understand what mental illness is, then don't try to discuss it.
>>
>>900291
*Lithuanian
>>
File: 22b.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
22b.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>900304
>mentally healthy
>>
>>900310
I meant Mads Mikkelsen, the actor.
>>
>>900298
>t. slave moralist
>>
File: ayy lmao.jpg (34 KB, 205x249) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.jpg
34 KB, 205x249
>>900327
>t. murderous cannibal
>>
>>900318
Again, you don't seem to actually understand mental illness. Please stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>900319
Obviously OP was talking about the character. Mads is only an actor; Dr. Lecter is a supervillain.
>>
File: 96.gif (5 KB, 67x115) Image search: [Google]
96.gif
5 KB, 67x115
>>900330
>not a mental illness
>>
>>900329
don't taunt a cannibal you know
>>
>>900332
I know. It was a joke.
>>
>>898204
Totally.
>polymath
>incredibly smart
>good people skills
>does whatever the fuck he wants, when he wants
>enjoys life
>gets what he wants
>>
psh, of course............. only once we do away with this foolish notion of "morality" may we truly ascend to überhood............now if you'll excuse me..........I'm off to enjoy my favorite meal with some fava beans..................................
.....and a nice chianti
>>
>>900333
>Look mommy, I posted it again! xD
>>
File: Boys.gif (4 MB, 295x222) Image search: [Google]
Boys.gif
4 MB, 295x222
>>900334
>>900354
>>
>>900358
>only interesting person with my name is an alcoholic canadian tv show character who lives in a trailer park
if you name your kid Julian, you're an asshole
>>
>>900330

I don't understand the implication here. Do you only consider disordered and aberrant psych to be mental illness if the individual with it is in pain and suffering, or because the person apparently still possesses free will? Because as they are defined there are mental illness or personality disorders that don't meet either of those requirements.
>>
>>898204
no, he'd be better off solving his psychological problems and satiating his urges through more effective means
>>
>>900410
The man is completely lucid, delusion-free, and capable of understanding the consequences of his actions. In the show, the only reason he was judged insane was because Dr. Chilton and Alana Bloom lied in court. Just because someone breaks the social contract and commits great acts of cruelty doesn't mean they are mentally ill.
>>
>>900433
>The man is completely lucid, delusion-free, and capable of understanding the consequences of his actions

This is the legal definition of insanity, which is distinct from the psychiatric definitions of personality disorders and mental illness, which has some overlap but is a bit more broad.
>>
File: 345.jpg (30 KB, 520x678) Image search: [Google]
345.jpg
30 KB, 520x678
>Sadism
>Not a mental illness
>>
File: 1352226585391.jpg (76 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1352226585391.jpg
76 KB, 600x450
>>900353
>fava beans
>>
>>900441
Well let's hear the psychiatric definition then, mr. PhD in psychiatry.
>>
>>900442
Only in extreme cases and depending on your definition. Sadism is normal in humans. (and a lot of other species)
>>
>>901373
>Sadism is normal in humans. (and a lot of other species)
[citation needed]
>>
File: Mads.jpg (138 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Mads.jpg
138 KB, 768x1024
>>901190
>Psychopathy (/saJˈkɒpəθi/), also known as—though sometimes differentiated from—sociopathy (/soʊsiˈɒpəθi/), is traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, diminished empathy and remorse, and disinhibited or bold behavior.

>diminished empathy and remorse, and disinhibited or bold behavior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy
>>
Mikkelsen's Hannibal is the most ubermensch character I've seen in a long time. It feels like he's appreciating and understanding everything in his life, and is completely self actualized.
>>
I think you're all besides the point. Mental illnesses are arbitrarily defined by a cabal of psychiatrists, and are pretty much there to reinforce the status quo. Wouldn't it be weirder if the ubermensch weren't considered mentally ill?
>>
File: patrician.jpg (54 KB, 558x744) Image search: [Google]
patrician.jpg
54 KB, 558x744
>>903526
>tfw beyond arbitrary "psychological definitions"
>>
>>901463
To some degree it is. Just try to punch somebody and you could feel small positive reinforcement. If you know children like this shit. The truth here is that humans are violent creatures.
>>
I'm going to say it here. BvS' Batman felt pretty close to an ubermensch at times.
>>
>>898204
Huh, yeah i guess he is. Never thought of it that way but he fits it pretty much perfectly

>>900319
You thought OP was calling Mads Mikkelsen an Ubermensch?
>>
>>900337
It wasn't funny.
>>
>>905908
how so
>>
I've only seen the first season of this show, but if it wasn't for the characterizations and performances of Hannibal and Will, it would pretty much be garbage. But those things do at least make it worth watching
>>
So would Nietzsche actually approve of a cannibal serial killer ?
>>
>>909099
I doubt it. Because Nietzsche was interested in what humanity could become after we stopped being humans.(I.e when humans were "overcome").

I'd imagine that he would see a cannibal serial killer as a person who has gone "back" in evolution, and was simply an animal.
>>
>>898684
If the art threads are any indication it's a good thing we don't have them.
>>
>>909099
No, but Nietzsche also didn't impose many limits on the concept of Ubermensch at all. Basically his concept of the Ubermensch was a duality wherein after accepting the futility and pointlessness of life you either succumbed to hedonism and became the Last Man or you chose to make something out of your life, to continue going, and be the Ubermensch.

Hannibal doesn't seem to particularly represent either extreme. He's a little bit too crazy to have fully embraced the futility of life.
>>
Killing and eating people does not satiate your urges unless you are mentally ill and too deluded to think of a better way of doing things.

>he likes doing it the hard way
Why not do something more effective just as hard and accomplish even more?

This is the ultimate cockblock for most nietzche fanboys is the fact that actual übermensch are some of the most conformist shills in society.
>>
>>909147
> actual übermensch are some of the most conformist shills in society
Any examples of that so called actual übermensch?
>>
>>909154
>Any examples of that so called actual übermensch?

Nietzche himself, considered people like Goethe as being Ubermensch. People who are so genius in their character and efforts that they sometimes seem more than simply human.
>>
>>909147
Were ancient warriors who killed and ate their enemies hearts insane?
>>
>>909166
They lived in times where it wasn't insane. Now we know that heart eating doesn't make you stronger.
>>
File: 1459032574915.jpg (57 KB, 580x627) Image search: [Google]
1459032574915.jpg
57 KB, 580x627
>>900330
>>
>>909188
This isn't /soc/, fuckhead.
>>
why the fuck is this on /his/? go to /tv/
>>
>>911234
It's a discussion first and foremost about the nature of the philosophical concept of the ubermensch you utter fuckhead.
>>
>>911234
are you stupid?
>>
>>900433
t. Someone who hasn't read the books and doesn't understand Hannibal's motivation behind consuming people.

Not even the guy you're arguing with, but Christ, you need to stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>911837
Do you watch capeshit or something? What does the interpretation of Hannibal as depicted in the TV show have to do with the books?

>m-muh cinematic universe
>m-muh canon
>>
>>911869
Hannibal's context remains the same as it was stipulated in the books until the television series alters it.
Not hard, autismo.
>>
>>911837
t. a tasteless pleb who actually accepts Hannibal and Hannibal Rising as canon
>>
File: only-god-forgives-2.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
only-god-forgives-2.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
>>900371
fait me
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.