[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What lessons that history gave us are mostly forgotten?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: invest_ag_600.jpg (221 KB, 700x225) Image search: [Google]
invest_ag_600.jpg
221 KB, 700x225
It's a cliche when I say the regurgitated phrase : "those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it"

We all know that:

>Attacking russia in winter is a bad idea
>It's a must to always keep your army in check
>Absolute power corrupts absolutely
etc...

But what about those lessons / mistakes that history has repeated frequently but that no one remembers / we'll probably commit them again?

I feel like a huge empire killer is to underestimate / overlook the agriculture.

It might look shitty and insignificant, but bad agriculture tends to kill nations.
One of the main factors of the fall of the roman empire was indeed that with an awful agriculture not only did the city life continued to detach from life in the countryside, but it also failed to feed soldiers in times of need.
>>
Don't bother with the middle east

Britain learned it, then Russia learned it, then somehow the uk forgot and made the same mistake again, this time with the us
>>
Never get involved in a land war in Asia

Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line
>>
If someone claims that you are being slowly genocides by outsiders who have come to steal your wealth, you are being lied to and are almost certainly on the brink of a civil war.

You will know when you are being legitimately inavded. If people aren't dying in the streets, that rhetoric is being shouted exclusively for political gain.
>>
When things start going to shit the nation will attempt a 'bread and circus' system to keep people under control and oblivious to whats happening until the last minutes.
>>
>>89774
Never kill a mongol messenger/diplomat.
>>
>>91055

This is interesting. What are some examples I can read up on?
>>
Don't follow the retreating steppe nomads. People kept doing it from biblical times to the final days of the Mongol empire.
>>
>>91055
This sounds interesting, are there any historical examples of similar propaganda and subsequent civil wars?
>>
Trade and engagement with the wider world is important and lets a lot of people have a better quality of life.
>>
>>89774
>>Attacking russia in winter is a bad idea
Give me one example of someone attacking Russia in winter
>>
communism doesnt work
>>
>>91674
I sincerely hope you get banned again
>>
Today's freedom fighters are tomorrow's terrorists.
>>
>>91771

COROLLARY: TODAY'S TERRORISTS ARE TOMORROW'S HEROES.
>>
>>90016
>Never get involved in a land war in Asia

But that's autistic
How do you think the Brits conquered Burma and HK?
How do you think the French conquered Vietnam?
>>
Making friends, allies or any other sort of companion out of your former enemies only works once you have beaten them thoroughly, and they have accepted this. So long as they still consider themselves fighting back, it won't work, and your empire won't last.
>>
>>91295
>>91409
US civil war comes to mind
>>
>>91674
reported
>>
>>91825
>HK
>implying the Opium Wars were land wars
>>
>>91825
>How do you think the Brits conquered Burma
By sitting in their big steel ships and bombing cities from the river until they surrendered.
>>
True strength can only be reached through economic prosperity.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.