[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me everything you know about the religion of the Celts.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 350x263
Tell me everything you know about the religion of the Celts.
>>
druid means tree-knower
>>
The toilet notes of Caesar and some christianized gaelic legends

That's all anyone knows
>>
no christianity = no written word for celtic paganism

we know nothing and anyone who tells you any different(academic or otherwise) puts way too much faith in the scant evidence

even a christian priest writing about what they saw wouldn't know what the fuck is going on

this is also why neopagans are dumb as pig shit
>>
>>896608
Man, I don't know where we would be today if Jesus never invented writing.
>>
>>896617
*tips fedora*
>>
File: 1453053990055.jpg (445 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1453053990055.jpg
445 KB, 1200x900
>>896576
cruel, centered around battle and human sacrifice

would have been more familiar to aztecs than to good civilized romans like us
>>
File: forest-brothers.jpg (54 KB, 441x649) Image search: [Google]
forest-brothers.jpg
54 KB, 441x649
>>896617
>mfw you completely misunderstood what i was saying

Christians reintroduced to the written word to Pagan Britain after the Romans left, dipshit.
>>
>>896626
the romans were pretty cruel pham
>>
>>896576
Paved the way for Christ's teachings
>>
>>896681
not religiously thou, only in the pursuit of power, wealth, and entertainment

I'm sure we can emphasize more with that
>>
File: Gundestrup_Cernunnos.jpg (522 KB, 1181x979) Image search: [Google]
Gundestrup_Cernunnos.jpg
522 KB, 1181x979
>>896576
Cernunnos was pretty chill
>>
File: 1024px-Gundestrupkarret3.jpg (234 KB, 1024x566) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Gundestrupkarret3.jpg
234 KB, 1024x566
>>896727
uhhhh i wanna discuss that cauldron!
A massive silver cauldron with a celtic god with slavik symbols, found in north germainc soil

>look at all those ppl getting sacrifised
>>
>>896576
There are artifacts in the British Museum depicting entire corpi of myths which we can only try and guess the meaning of. Whole stories depicted in art that appear to rival the complexity and significance to their individual cultures as the Iliad and Odyssey to Greek consciousness. Alas shit's all gone now.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.