[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Palmyra
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 11
Palmyra, a classical city and UNESCO World Heritage site, was recently liberated from the hands of ISIL, who destroyed some of its ancient structures (the Syrian government has vowed to rebuild them)
It feels a bit uncomfortable bringing /pol/ to /his/, BUT regardless of your stance this is a victory for history.

Here's a quick rundown
>rich independent trading city in the desert of what is know central-southern Syria
>culture was a mix of Semitic/Aramaic and Greco-Roman: a bridge between East and West
>at its peak in the 3rd century CE, Palmyra had power throughout the Levant, was able to stave off the Persians, before becoming a Roman city
>during the present-day Battle of Palmyra, its castle was used in the fighting

So, a few questions
General discussion of Palmyra - I've scanned the Wiki but I am interested in learning more

Have there been other instances of destroyed/damaged historical structures being rebuilt?

What other times have ancient/classical structures been involved or used in more modern battles?
>>
>>896290
Slightly related but what did the people in modern day iraq and Syria consider themselves before Arabs? Assyrians?
>>
>>896290
>BUT regardless of your stance this is a victory for history.
spotted the progressivist
>>
File: Bassel-bel-3.jpg (451 KB, 990x742) Image search: [Google]
Bassel-bel-3.jpg
451 KB, 990x742
>The temple showed a remarkable synthesis of ancient Near Eastern and Greco-Roman architecture.[1] The temple remains lay inside a large precinct lined by porticos. It had a rectangular shape and was oriented north-south.[1] It was based on a paved court surrounded by a massive 205-metre (673 ft) long wall with a propylaeum. On a podium in the middle of the court was the actual temple building. The cella was entirely surrounded by a prostyle of Corinthian columns, only interrupted on the long side by an entrance gate with large steps leading from the court. The cella was unique in the fact that it had two inner sanctuaries, the north and south adytons, dedicated as the shrines of Bel and other local deities. The northern chamber was known for a bas-relief carving of the seven planets known to the ancients surrounded by the twelve signs of the Zodiac and the carvings of a procession of camels and veiled women.[10] The cella was lit by two pairs of windows cut high in the two long walls.[1][2] In three corners of the building stairwells could be found that led up to rooftop terraces.[1]
>>
>>896290
The Temple of Bel in the OP was unfortunately destroyed last August

Pic related, the Temple of Baalshamin, was too

Bel and Baalshamin were major Mesopotamian/Semitic/Canaanite deities
>>
File: Grande_colonnade_street07(js).jpg (219 KB, 1024x675) Image search: [Google]
Grande_colonnade_street07(js).jpg
219 KB, 1024x675
>>896302
There were different groups, primarily polytheist Semites. Amorites, Amareans, Sumerians, Babylonians, Akkadians, etc.
Syria and Iraq are not only big, but modern creations: the lands have been occupied by many different empires

The descendants of Assyrians are still around, and call themselves such
>>
>>896290
This Roman theatre is still standing and in good shape

Here's dome drone footage from a Russian TV network, good quality and provides a nice overhead view
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLId4JKKj60

It's crazy to think, almost 2 millennia after Romans battled on that same ground, wars are still being fought amongst the same structures...
>>
>>896290
>Have there been other instances of destroyed/damaged historical structures being rebuilt?

You'd be hard pressed to find any ancient ruins standing today that haven't had considerable work done to them, especially any wall or city gates.

It's not ancient or classical but because its modern enough to be photographed the Brandenburg Gate is a good example.
>>
File: aerial-view-taken-_3313985k.jpg (437 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
aerial-view-taken-_3313985k.jpg
437 KB, 858x536
>>896290
On that last point, the castle is actually not classical or ancient - it was built by the Mamluks in the 13 century

Parts were damaged during the course of the war, but it still stands
Makes me think, how sturdy are these stone walls? I feel like modern artillery can do a lot of damage if desired.

Which reminds me, the Crusader castle Krak des Chevaliers has been caught up in battles too
>>
File: 1024px-Tower_tombs,_Palmyra.jpg (164 KB, 1024x627) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Tower_tombs,_Palmyra.jpg
164 KB, 1024x627
>>896367
>You'd be hard pressed to find any ancient ruins standing today that haven't had considerable work done to them, especially any wall or city gates.

Thank you, I'm confident in our capabilities. As seen >>896309 we have 3D rendering of what the destroyed temples look like

However, Palmyra is a matter of completely rebuilding certain structures, not just preserving/reinforcing them as has already been done throughout the ruins
>>
>>896290

Kinda curious that they left up as much they did. You'd think there would be propaganda value in filming the columns coming down like dominoes, even if it wasn't an act of cleansing idolatry. Surly they knew how much jimmy rustling their smashing of history caused.

Was it a matter of time and effort or did they see value in the remaining ruins?
>>
>>896290
>they're gonna rebuild it

no shit, syria is going to need all the help it can get to bring tourism and people back after all this has blown over.
>>
>>896290
You seem to have forgotten the fact that Palmyra rebelled against Rome itself and ruled most of the eastern empire for several years.
>>
>>896461

they should take all the refugees back
>>
>>896652
al nassr lil'assad
>>
>>896470
Yea completely brushed over it, my bad
>>
Drone footage of Krak Des Chevaliers damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE7aGVSpjfo
>>
>>896290
>At the peak of its power
You mean the Palmyrene "empire" that lasted all of 3 years?

>>896330
Iraq was mainly Iranian, or at least the Eastern half of it being more or less part of the actual Persian ethnic homeland which was connected to Pars.
>>
File: toad.png (55 KB, 345x269) Image search: [Google]
toad.png
55 KB, 345x269
>>896779
>>
>>896652
good luck assad
>>
File: Herbert_Schmalz-Zenobia.jpg (217 KB, 850x1024) Image search: [Google]
Herbert_Schmalz-Zenobia.jpg
217 KB, 850x1024
>>896781
Yes, hence peak

The Romans did fuck their shit up in response and reassert control
>>
>>896802
Also I don't recall Zenobia ever "fucking up" the Persians. Shapur the Great was in the East and Aurelian was in the West. In fact didn't the whole reason why the Roman Empire split into the Gallic Empire, Italic Empire, and Palymrene EMpire in the first place because Shapur I's huge defeat on Valerian and wiping out a Roman force of 60,000+ men effectively fracture the Romans?

And if I recall, all her husband did was check Shapur's advance from the Euphrates, it was enough to keep them going but not a decisive defeat on the Persians.
>>
How much blood have those sands swallowed?
>>
>>896512
valuable input
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.