[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Absolutism and power
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Titian.jpg (310 KB, 800x1451) Image search: [Google]
Titian.jpg
310 KB, 800x1451
What is the concepts of visual representation of power in this painting? Its Titian's Charles V.
>>
>>896205
The fine clothes, the dog (idk what kind of dog that is but it probably has a symbolic meaning), and the codpiece. Definitely the codpiece.

Is this your art history homework or something?
>>
>>896216
Yeah i need to make a presentation about it and idk anything about the meanings..
>>
>>896205
idk man i guess that bulge must mean something
>>
>>896250
Yeah it is about sexual prowess which can be related to power in some way. Dog is for fidelity and trust but i need to know about the collar he holds.
>>
>>896256
Maybe the leash represents the control Charles has over his servants? Like, his servants (represented as the dog) are trusty, but if the servants would ever decide they want to abandon him, he can exercise force to keep them at his side? I dunno man, that's the way i would interpret it.
>>
I'm not sure about your original question OP, but it does make me think that that guy is either really small or that dog is massive.

Actually given some thought, the man's stance and the fact that the (large?) dog is looking up to him in adoration/respect displays that this man is a leader and powerful.
>>
Look at the way he holds the collar. Also dog's body language.
>>
>>896205
Giant shoulders for one. The horn, as >>896250 says. The style of sleeves he's wearing are a militaristic style that imitates the torn sleeves of soldiers. The sword, obvs. Dog is probably for hunting but idk much about hunting dogs.

He looks like he's listening to someone 'off-camera', like he's got better shit to do than stand around and get painted all day.
>>
Op here. Thank you guys for your comments.
>>
>>896205
Also look at his gestures. His right hand is grasping his sword, indicating his readiness to use force to protect his subjects or deter the enemy. At the same time his right hand suggestively points toward his codpiece, telling his viewer that his virility is unquestionable proof of his willingness to use force, his ability to produce a male heir (essential to hereditary monarchy) and his right to rule over other men. On his left side is a huge dog, which if it were to stand up on its legs, might be bigger than Charles himself. It's muscle tone shows that it is likely ferocious and powerful if angered. Yet the dog for all its strength puts its head against Charles in submission and lovingly looks at his master for guidance, as a subject would at his King. To hammer the point of Charles control, he has his left hand firmly grasped around the dogs collar, showing that he's in charge and he could guide this powerful dog in any direction he wishes. It's a testament to his own masculine strength and leadership as well as his ability to command respect in his subject perhaps through his wise decisions and intelligence. This is probably why Charles looks off to the distance with a glint in his eye. He's a visionary, looking to the future,
>>
>>896315
Also to the last sentence the dog willingly submits because Charles is also legitimate and commands vast territories
>>
>>896315
>His right hand is grasping his sword
nope, sword is on the left hip.
>>
>>896408
ayyy, my argument falls apart then. what is that he's holding though and what does that mean?

But I've noticed that the direction his finger is pointing is ambiguous. He isn't exactly pointing at his codpiece, though you can easily interpret his gesture as directing your gaze there. He could also be pointing at his dog, which suggests his willingness to use force and an ability to command armies of loyal subjects. The masculinity of the codpiece verifies this thread, as does the glittering hilt of the sword which flanks the dog.
>>
>>896437
> what is that he's holding though

Guessing a dagger covered in tassels?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.