[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ERE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: visigoths.jpg (89 KB, 833x625) Image search: [Google]
visigoths.jpg
89 KB, 833x625
Why did the Western Roman Empire collapse but not the Eastern Roman Empire?
>>
>>896077
East was more stable, wealthier and easier to defend.

I personally have the opinion that because it didn't have Rome and was less well known, it was sort of less of a target for migrating tribes, to an extent. This took some of the heat off it.

You could also argue that the East ruled former empires while the west mostly ruled former tribes people, though centuries of Romanisation had its effect, they quickly balkanised during strife.
>>
File: 1436022783387.jpg (26 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1436022783387.jpg
26 KB, 500x375
t. ERE
>>
>>896077
The Silk Road made it more wealthy and more Stable
>>
because the west was shit! SHIT!
>>
>>896077
Less land in Europe and pretty good walls at the capitol.

The west fell literally because (of civil war) there were too many people moving across the border without enough troops to control the situation. The ERE were a bunch of kikes that bribed the Goths to move west.

The emperor said basically to just take some land and live there and not to attack. Barbarians saw that they could do whatever they want because Romans had no strength left to resist.
>>
>>896091
If that meme was about the ERE and not OP, then well done. That was ERE's policy. Just pay the fuckers not to attack.
>>
>>896090
>and was less well known

What do you mean by this? It was frequently a target, and I don't think at the time it was any less "well known". It's less well known NOW.
>>
>>896077
It was due to the greek culture being so homogenous an already established empire since way back.
>>
File: t Eastern Roman Empire.png (216 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
t Eastern Roman Empire.png
216 KB, 500x375
>>896204
It has already been a meme for a while. I saved this picture ages ago.
>>
>>896077
Lots of reasons. It was primarily due to a cycle of civil wars, loss of taxes, the aristocracy withdrawing from civic life, use of cheaper more effective foederati troops, incompetence at the highest levels of governance, inefficiency and corruption being rife etc. All of these fed into one another constantly. Civil wars is probably the closest thing to a primary cause, since it exacerbated all the other problems ten-fold.

People who say 'barbarians' usually haven't read anything of the period. They squatted on the remains of a state that destroyed itself.
>>
>>896090
>It was less well known

Not even fucking close. Everybody and their mother knew of Constantinople.

The difference between them and Rome were the theodosian walls. And the vastly superior surplus.
>>
Rome had a massive spotlight on it. Everyobody had heard about it and wanted it's things. Despite the city being in bad shape at this point.

It's like someone wouldn't bother to take the offer for a free farm in New Zealand because they've never heard of it, went to America and ended up starving in a New York slum.
>>
>>896311
Can you do one with the Sassanids? Was it Justin or Justinian that kept giving a fucking shit load of dosh to Khosrau I?
>>
>>896507
I didn't make it.
>>
>>896510
Aww okay
>>
>>896219
>Eastern ROMAN Empire
>Greek
WE
>>
File: request.png (253 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
request.png
253 KB, 500x375
>>896507
>>
File: 455_sack_of_rome.png (462 KB, 555x563) Image search: [Google]
455_sack_of_rome.png
462 KB, 555x563
>>896077
>>
>>896590
Perfect
>>
>>896423

This

The West had slowly been moving towards feudalism with the landed aristocracy being able to avoid taxes as well as citizens who became semi-free coloni. The constant rise of usurpers meant that working in government was not safe (easy to land on the wrong side) thus talent left the administration. Also worth mentioning that while the Eastern Emperors may have been as inexperienced and incompetent as their western counterparts, they did not execute their second in commands out of jealously, thus creating a rift between Emperor and soldier
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.