[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What historical misconceptions did you have as a child?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: timecube chan.png (192 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
timecube chan.png
192 KB, 500x493
What historical misconceptions did you have as a child?
>>
>>895508
i thought that istanbul was constantinople, but now i know that it's istanbul, not constantinople
>>
>>895508
That the dark ages werent real
That the islamic golden age didnt happen
>>
>>895508

Timecube blows my mind in how much sense it doesn't make
>>
>>895508
The Moors invaded all of France
The crusades were about destroying Islam
Egypt was the first culture
Europeans ran all the world's slavery
The Greeks were half African

I was raised by a black supremacist...so that probably played a part.
>>
>>895552
literally raised by WE
>>
When I was younger I masturbated to the thought of killing mao zedong, then I thought it was cringeworthy, then I read about what he actually did and wanted to kill him again, then I realized it was mostly just stupidity, now I like hobby history and human emotion so I semi ironically masturbate to the idea of assasinating him.
>>
>that Rome fell because of lead poisoning

Actually I hear conflicting theories on this. Obviously it didn't cause the fall but my toxicology text says lead sickness was a problem, but it's not a great textbook. I've heard some toxicologists say this too. Either way I don't think it was as big of a deal as people make it out to be.
>>
>>895552
>The crusades were about destroying Islam
>Egypt was the first civilization
>Europeans + Egyptians ran all the world's slavery
I legit believed this until I was, like, 13? And I am white and raised by white parents. I don't think it's that weird - there's not that much on the history of the Middle East or Sub-Saharan Africa running on TV.
>>
>>895556
He was essentially trying to raise me as a white mouthpiece for black supremacy.
>>
>>895508
A lot.
>>
Not exactly a historical misconception, but I thought Greek Orthodox Church worship Zeus and other Greek gods
>>
File: 1383271925700.jpg (214 KB, 1687x1055) Image search: [Google]
1383271925700.jpg
214 KB, 1687x1055
>>895574
>masturbated to the thought of killing mao zedong
>>
>>895508
1st wave Feminism was about equality
>>
>>895508
I was taught that the entirety of the Roman Empire collapsed in a single day in the year 476 because it was invaded by Germanic barbarians.

Literally had no idea that the ERE survived for another millennia. You can't imagine how much my mind was blown lol.

I was also taught that the crusades was a huge event ( it wasn't), and that Julius Caesar was the first Roman emperor.
>>
>>895600
>he hasnt
Do you even immersion?
>>
>>895653
>the crusades were not a huge event
oh you have some reading to do friend
>>
That Ancient Egypt was the same thing, with the same gods, culture, and everything, from the start to the end.
>>
Probably obvious, but my first exposure to ww2 was Saving Private Ryan.

Hence, for a few years after that, I thought America saved Europe in WW2.

I also thought that WW1 was about Germany wanting to take over the world. I didn't exactly get to know better, now I just have no fucking idea what it was about.
>>
>tfw my dad was a Germanboo who taught me from an early age that the Germans just wanted power and colonies like every other Euro and they were no better or worse

The weird thing is he's not a Naziboo or even White. He just seems to think that all pre-WWII Europeans were pretty much on the same level, morally.
>>
>>895595
Were you his wife's son?
>>
>>895508
Jesus resurrected.

He didn't.
>>
>>895699
From the Muslim perspective, I don't think they were.

Like some people blame Isis on the crusades lol.
>>
I once heard there was something called the Holy Roman Empire. I thought they were serious, can you believe it?
>>
>>895742
Well, we can already infer that this guy is white, so if they are his wife's son, we may have the rare case of a nigger who got cucked by a white guy.
>>
>>895718
WWI was basically a spillover of post-napoleonic aristo tensions. Every royal family in Europe was related in some way, and nationalistic fervour grew in each country.

It got kicked off by some serbs assasinating an Austro-Hungarian, which led to retaliations, which trigger a whole bunch of treaty and alliance agreements.

Simply put, it was like a serbian mouse set off a rickety and overlapping tower of mousetraps. They were going to blow sometime, now we just blame the serb.
>>
>>895508
That there are "good guys" and "bad guys"
>>
>>895552
>The Moors invaded all of France
But that's true, now.
t. /int/
>>
>>895742
Nope. My dad died and since he just copied my mum's will with the bare minimum changes, I was given one of her friends as a guardian. Turns out he'd been radicalised sometime after the will was made.

He's now a radical Islamist black supremacist.
>>
>>895776
why did everyone blame Germany afterwards, then?
>>
>>895809
How is your relationship with him? Ever tell him what a horrible person he is?
>>
I was taught that Communism was bad and that Stalin was worse than Hitler.
>>
>>895508
I thought we were still at war with German.
>>
>>895552
>the moors invaded all of France
Well that turned out to be true didn't it
>>
>grampa was latin american commie guerilla guy
>mfw my mother and I moved to America
>he never talked to us again
So I was taught the US is evil until I moved to US
>>
>>895963
The US is pretty evil, it's just harder to tell from the inside.
>>
>>895508

>Live in the city of Calgary
>Attend Catholic school
>First grade
>Teacher mentions Jesus was crucified at Calvary Hill
>Mishear her and think she said "Calgary Hill"
>Ask my parents to take me to Calgary Hill so I can see where Jesus was crucified
>End up thinking the Romans made it across the Atlantic Ocean
>>
>>895978
>be little kid
>be part Filipino
>spend a lot of time with ultra-religious aunt because parents work a lot
>reads me a lot of Bible stories
>the Philistines come up a lot
>feel bad for being related to the sworn enemies of God's people
>>
I thought for quite a while that the Russian Revolution had overthrown Stalin.

That the "Chekoslovakian invasion" of 1968 saw Chekoslovakia send in tanks to Moscow to keep the Russians in line.
>>
Thought that England and Ireland were far apart and the maps only put them close together like they put Hawaii and continental US close together
>>
I thought Stalin and Hitler were allies for all of WWII for a while.
>>
>>896000
Poland ain't gonna partition itself.
>>
>>895508
I thought that Prussia was related to Russia.
I thought that America captured Berlin in WW2.
I thought that Hungary and Romania were Slavic countries.
I thought that Yugoslavia still existed.
>>
>>895508
Everyone survived the Hindenburg disaster.

I think this was mentioned on the history channel and believed it.
>>
>>895987
Lel
>>
When I first read about WWI (I was nine or ten), I thought it was weird that the world didn't point its finger and make the Serbians pay for causing the war.
>>
It wasn't until about 20 that the timeline of history all fell into place.

It actually scared the shit out of me because i realised we've literally only had this level of technology for a few decades, Rome was only 2000 years ago, and humanity spent 200,000 years doing nothing but sharpening rocks. We're complete fucking infants and it scares me.
>>
>>895977
No more evil than anywhere else. Less so, in that foreign aid is given to other countries.
>>
I thought the Holy Roman Empire as a continuation of the Roman Empire.

Now i know thats a can of worms, but i mean i thought it was a direct continuation with no fuck ups. Like just the same thing.
>>
>>895818
because they were the ones who turned it from austria bullying someone in the balkans and russia being angry about it - something that had happened like five times in like twenty years leading up to ww1 without a war breaking out - into a war with france and britain and an invasion of neutral belgium
>>
>thought dinosaurs lived in the same time as pre-historic man
>thought the roman empire and greeks were simultaneous (like, they were both at their height in the same era and traded with each other)
>literally believed in the tower of babel and noahs ark myths because christian upbringing. believed adam and eve lived 6000 years ago n shieet
>believed the rome lead poisoning myth cause we were taught that in school
>believed that each war had a "good guy" side and a "bad guy side" and we were lucky that the good guy side had always won against evil.
>believed that the medieval era was really the "dark ages", a thousand year era where no scientific progress was made, everyone lived in mudhuts and were constantly dying from the plague and famine and that society generally stagnated or regressed and everything was literally hell on earth.

pretty basic misconceptions.
>>
>>895977
No more evil than any other country with regional hegemony. Only a handful of countries aren't "evil" if America is so
>>
>>896038
>>believed the rome lead poisoning myth cause we were taught that in school
Do they really teach this in American schools?

In Britain we get told the Germans did it.
>>
File: the invisible man.jpg (20 KB, 288x328) Image search: [Google]
the invisible man.jpg
20 KB, 288x328
>>896017
>It actually scared the shit out of me because i realised we've literally only had this level of technology for a few decades, Rome was only 2000 years ago, and humanity spent 200,000 years doing nothing but sharpening rocks. We're complete fucking infants and it scares me.

Yep, it's really kind of a dark realization. After that, you realize that 99% of the worlds population doesn't know this or consider the implications of this. And then you start wondering what's in store for humanity in the future, and it doesn't look too bright. Truely ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>896051
I was taught that in swedish school.
>>
>>896051

No, I got this from my parents.
>>
>>896034
ah I see, thanks
>>
>>896056
>After that, you realize that 99% of the worlds population doesn't know this or consider the implications of this
Yes exactly. I like to randomly ask people how long cars have been invented. My now ex Gf said 200 years, close enough considering some of my friends thought it was 1000s of years.
I personally think the future is bright, humanity has a sort of 2 steps forward 1 step backwards thing going on. War isn't so bad, it sucks to be involved in one but its just an equilibrium being worked out ultimately.
>>
I thought the roman empire ended in 1453 .
>>
I never understood the time cube thing. I can understand the flat earth and all that, if I over look the clear discrepancies, but the time cube has always confused the shit out of me, I just can't really grasp the basic explanation for it.
>>
>>896038
>>believed that each war had a "good guy" side and a "bad guy side" and we were lucky that the good guy side had always won against evil.

I had a mild emotional crisis when I realized how odd it was that 'the good guys' always won, and then it suddenly hit me that maybe they DIDN'T always win.
>>
>>896086

stop
>>
>>895998
Topkek
>>
I thought Britain was south of Spain and France. It blew my mind that it was on the northern side, and not far from Scandinavia.

Also never understood the difference between "Britain" and "England" for a long time
>>
>>896073
>close enough considering some of my friends thought it was 1000s of years.

They must have been joking.
>>
>>895511
underrated post
>>
I didn't know the Soviet Union had existed until Middle School.

>>896180
>Also never understood the difference between "Britain" and "England" for a long time
Same
>>
>>896180
>I thought Britain was south of Spain and France.
Well, part of the UK is, so you are not 100% wrong.
>>
>>896092
What's not to get? It's called Schizophrenia.
>>
>>896183
That or they thought he said something like carts.
>>
>>895748
Happy Easter to you too!
>>
>>895513
>That the islamic golden age didnt happen
this t b h
surprised the fuck out of me

also
>there weren't any African empires
>>
When I was like 8, I used to watch the history channel all the time and I always watched ww2 docs about hitler and the nazis. At the same time I watched the star wars original trilogy on vhs virtually every day, and for some reason I thought that hitler and the nazis weren't real and were part of the star wars universe. When we started learning about ww2 in school in 4th grade I felt fucking retarded and still do.
>>
File: 1456804421586.jpg (26 KB, 720x575) Image search: [Google]
1456804421586.jpg
26 KB, 720x575
>>896238
>>
>>895653
But it didn't. It only survived about another 200 years, until about AD 650 or so.

>>895751
>your holy city Jerusalem is taken by white kaffirs
>not a big deal

>>895914
He's probably misguided, not horrible, honestly. A white child being raised by a black man that doesn't end up catatonic or dead from abuse reflects very well on that black man.

>>895977
Man, I used to think the same when I was 16 or so (not saying you are, that was just my age at the time), but really that way of thinking is wrong. The US is pretty much #1 in the world for social mobility, honest work for honest pay, and your own intelligence and creativity benefiting mostly yourself. There's a reason most of the top 10 universities in the world are in the US, and why people from all over the world, Europe included, move here for their studies instead of the other way around.

>>896015
Wouldn't make sense, Serbians had like one donkey left after the war.

>>896018
If you view aid as the influence in a nation's sovereignty and politics that it is, that isn't such a good argument.

>>896086
I'm lucky that I never thought this.
>>
>>895508
I thought that Prussia was just an area in between Poland and Russia
I thought that Denmark and the Netherlands were the same thing
I also though Iraq and Iran were just different spellings of the same country
>>
>>896242
What about around 650 makes it the cutoff date? I think I would go with 1204, after which it was basically regional governors trying to retake the heartland. The Empire itself was dead though.
>>
I thought that the soviet Union never collapsed, and that the entire iron curtain was part of it
>>
>>896242
>The US is pretty much #1 in the world for social mobility, honest work for honest pay, and your own intelligence and creativity benefiting mostly yourself.
Yes, and all of that comes at the expense of the rest of the world. I am not sure how you think this argument goes against what that anon said, you are willying to ignore all the "evil" the US does, like destabilizing the middle east every couple of decades so they can keep draining their oil for cheap, supporting terrorist cells all over the world, toppling goverments, and not only dictators that they themselves put in place, but also democratically elected goverments, just because living inside the US is a better alternative than living outside of it.

And I not saying any other country wouldn't do the same if they held the power the US did, but this doesn't excuse their actions either.
>>
>>895653
>Julius Caesar was the first Roman emperor.

... wasn't he? Or did he never call himself Emperor or some such shit?
>>
>>896272
He was just dictator for life. It was Augustus who created the principate.
>>
>>896258
>>896242

At the risk of turning this thread into another "no you retard, rome CLEARLY ended in the year (blank)", why does it have to be a certain date? Most of the discussion around the fall of the ERE on this board revolves around cultural changes and whatnot, so I don't see the point in saying that it specifically just stopped one day, rather than saying "over the course of (insert century/decades), the cultural and societal factors that made it "roman" changed to a point that it simply could no longer be considered as such by most people.
>>
>>895978
>Mormonism
>>
>>896010
>I thought that Prussia was related to Russia.

JESUS CHRIST

this so much.
>>
>>896285
By that metric, I think it is more correct to say that it remained Roman, but Roman culture changed enough that Western Europeans no longer recognized it as the Rome that had existed when their half of the Empire had collapsed.
>>
>>896258
It was from about AD 630 to 650 that the ERE lost the huge and vital provinces of Africa, Egypt, the Levant, and Syria. The culture, religion, and society of the Empire changed drastically, and people thought that they had been abandoned by or were being punished by god. The official language changed to Greek since only pretty much 100% Greek-speaking areas were left.

It wasn't the Roman Empire anymore, but a Greek pantomime cosplaying Rome.

>>896267
For all bad the US does in other nations, there are the people and leaders in other nations that will ignore their fellow countrymen for US money. In my opinion that's more evil. Not to even consider the western European hypocrite nations (not saying the US government isn't hypocrite, but the western European governments are even moreso).
>>
>>895511
That's really not your business
>>
>>896110
You sound like Dan Carlin
>>
File: AbsolutelyBarbaric.jpg (160 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
AbsolutelyBarbaric.jpg
160 KB, 600x709
>>896283
So he was for all intents and purposes and you're just a pedant.
>>
>>896306
Fuck off Turkoman
>>
>>896321
Wrong, he never held the tribunician power of veto. As dictator he could override other magistrates by decree, or get the tribunes working for him to veto other magistrates, but he didn't have that power himself, which was a stable power of the Principate emperors.
>>
>>895818
Mostly rape of belgium, also they were especially aggressive and Moltke really really wanted the war to happen and then also they lost
>>
>>896321
No, because the office of dictator had existed for centuries. The principate was a whole new administrative system including reform of the consolidation of offices, military command, and provinces.
>>
>>896242
You must have some really fucking low standards for black people if you think that not abusing children they're supposed to take care of reflects "very well" on them.
>>
>>896300
>For all bad the US does in other nations, there are the people and leaders in other nations that will ignore their fellow countrymen for US money. In my opinion that's more evil.

Yeah but those people are only helping the US do evil in their own countries. While the US does stuff like that in many countries. So the US creates more net evil.
>>
>>896299
Right, that's a good point. I guess I never understood why so many people seek a specific end date, as if all facets of roman life simply stopped one day and did a complete 180 (obviously didn't happen). While a state/nation/empire may call itself roman, by 1453 most people recognized that it had changed so much that it wasn't really "roman" in the way that most people thought when they heard the word "roman". I mean, by that standard, Muscovy was roman (which it obviously wasnt)
>>
>>896242
I don't think the US is exceptionally evil. I think most countries are pretty evil.
>>
>>896321
So I guess the first emperor was actually Sulla, since he was also appointed dictator for life.
>>
>>895508

A better question is "what historical misconceptions do you still have an adult" because most of you get your history from movies or video games.
>>
>>896242
You have top universities as rated by anglo standards. I heard you barely have lectures and have to learn everything through books.
That seems like a terrible way of learning.
>>
>>896023
Same here. I thought the when the emperors became christian it was called the Holy Roman Empire.
>>
File: Bernie Sanderus.jpg (63 KB, 500x510) Image search: [Google]
Bernie Sanderus.jpg
63 KB, 500x510
>>896351
Pretty sure most of us here read books pretty frequently.

Now, vidya a lot of times got us interested in certain periods or themes in history (e.g. military history), but they aren't the source of our information.
>>
File: cmon son.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
cmon son.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>896215
>>896092
>In 1884, meridian time personnel met in Washington to change Earth time. First words said was that only 1 day could be used on Earth to not change the 1 day bible. So they applied the 1 day and ignored the other 3 days. The bible time was wrong then and it proved wrong today. This a major lie has so much evil feed from it's wrong. No man on Earth has no belly-button,it proves every believer on Earth a liar.

It's really not that complicated guys. /his/ is really falling off in terms of quality
>>
>>896340
Statistically it does, my man. There's an epidemic of child sex abuse in black communities in the US that nobody talks about.

>>896343
I see your point.

>>896373
Then you've heard completely wrong, I guess. As far as engineering is concerned. You can never tell what lawfags are up too though.

>>896379
Great pic. Caesar should have thrown in with Catilina. Ivory and ebony, salt and pepper.
>>
>>896351
that question doesnt work, because if you knew they were misconceptions you would not have them.
>>
>>896391
I have no idea what that was supposed to mean.
>>
>got raised by ultra commie parents
>heard about national socialism
>thought Hitler was the good guy
>no friends in elementary school
>>
>>896425
some people got together in 1884 to change how time was measured to match it with what is in the Bible.

Also nobody has belly buttons
>>
>>896347
Did he rule over territory comparable to Rome at its height?
>>
>>896444
If Sulla didn't have power over comparable territory, then neither did Caesar, and neither did Augustus.
>>
>>896086
t. Turk
>>
File: Shaolin Formation.jpg (29 KB, 404x270) Image search: [Google]
Shaolin Formation.jpg
29 KB, 404x270
>>895508
I thought Japan/China/Korea was just one big Asian Empire who have provinces called Japan, China, and Korea, and that Ninjas, Shaolin, and Samurai lived together fighting crime and serving the Emperor.

I grew up in 90's Philippines and as a Child my daily shows prior anime dominance was, well, anime, and Taiwanese Kung Fu serials like Judge Bao or Masters of the Shaolin Temple.
>>
>>896400
>>896340
>>896242
This is all implying he wasn't abused. I assume he wasn't but he hasn't said.
>>
>>895508
>Europeans and Africans were the only ones that conducted slavery
>Pakistan was just a muslim settlement in India
My family is from Guyana so I thought Guyanese was an ethnic group.
>>
>>896326
Fuck off, I bet you don't care about Old New York's former name and would rather rag on us Turks' business
>>
>>895508

Not a day goes by where I don't thank the Lord that Time Cube is dead.
>>
File: Nope__you_re_done_now.gif (2 MB, 350x314) Image search: [Google]
Nope__you_re_done_now.gif
2 MB, 350x314
>>895511
>>
>>896242
>US isn't evil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States
>>
I thought that China had competent leaders for the longest time

Then I went to college in America.
>>
>>896874
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_human_experimentation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_laboratory_of_the_Soviet_secret_services
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramble_for_Africa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_diamond
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_experimentation_in_Africa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_suicide_bombers_in_the_Israeli%E2%80%93Palestinian_conflict
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking_in_the_Middle_East
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militant_use_of_children_in_Sri_Lanka
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Thierry_Atangana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_zoo

Wow, it's almost like everyone ever is evil.
>>
>>896607
>>Pakistan was just a muslim settlement in India
Well it kind of is, isn't it? Bangladesh and Pakistan being Muslim relocation centers I thought.
>>
>>895818
>>896034
>>896338
It was literally demanded in the peace treaty that they took formal responsibility.

"In Article 231 Germany accepted responsibility for the losses and damages caused by the war "as a consequence of the ... aggression of Germany and her allies."

You could argue that this was only to have a legal base for reparations or that they just wanted to blame someone, instead of just going ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, after millions of people had died.

The other anon was correct in his description of ante bellum Europe.

I personally find it funny that someone had this put in just to make sure no one would ever question the circumstances that lead to the war and then the responsibility. Just like those self proclaimed "People's Republics" we have in Asia.
>>
>>895552
>The Moors invaded all of France
Turned out all you had to do was wait
>>
>>896987
Hindu scum like shiv sena push this
Muslims were majorities in the east and west certainly but there were islands of Muslim majorities like Hyderabad and also lots of places like Punjab where they were only slightly less than a majority
The settlement idea is to make people think it was only spread by immigration so then Muslims are seen as even less Indian when the reality is it was mainly voluntary conversion since Islam allowed social mobility and stopped the excuse of treating the poor as shit because they deserved it from a past life
Btw ask Hindu nationalists about how Hindu women used to go topless until Islam introduced the idea of clothes instead of wrapping a piece of cloth around your legs
>>
File: 1421313209464.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1421313209464.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>896238

is no one concerned that this nigger thought that the nazis were fake and were part of the star wars universe?
>>
>>895508

History played out the way it did for the simple reason that God wanted Christian nations to win
>>
>>895598
LMAO
>>
>>896326
I was also referencing the TMBG song you mong
>>
>>895511
it's been a long time gone, though right?
>>
>>897524
Dude he was 8, kids believe in the stupidest shit
>>
>>898733
I don't know any eight year old dumb enough to think the fucking Nazis were Star Wars characters.
>>
>>898737
>i was an expert on the nazis from the beginning

no one cares
>>
I thought that God didn't exist and that we came from monkeys.
>>
>>898563
Yeah, why did constantinople get the work?
>>
>>897196
231 states that germany should accept responsibility for the damages it caused when it invaded france and belgium

did germany not invade france or belgium?
>>
File: 1459073843755.png (11 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
1459073843755.png
11 KB, 211x246
>>896238
holy fuck my sides hurt from reading this
>>
>>896010
>>896010
>Romania isn't slavic
Fuck off Gypsie
>>
>>898563
>Tfw we can't go back
>>
I believed the world was black and white, bc old photos were.
>>
>>896183
Nope, not joking and didn't mishear it. Some people genuinely have no concept of history.

Please go around and ask when people think cars were invented. Or even better, Trains.
>>
>>895818
Germans violated neutrality of Belgium and the fact that zone rogue is a thing was their job so French wanted reparations so they could rebuild.
>>
I thought that Jesus was real
>>
>>899059
We have historical accounts of Jesus being real though you nigger
>>
>>899073
yeah, the closest historical source to him calls him "warrior" and the rest are christian and at least from 2nd century.
>>
>>898737
What is the Force Awakens.
>>
>>895508
I thought that money was a relatively recent (1800s-ish) invention and before that soldiers fought for nothing but loyalty to their monarch.

I thought that the Romans didn't sack, this was a later ''invention'' of the feudal age.

That Alexander the Great was a much more ancient figure, from around the time of the Trojan Wars. Similarly, I thought that Aristotle was a contemporary of Plato.

That monarchies had all been extinguished. Blew my mind when I found out that there are still countries out there with kings and princes.

I thought for years that London was a city in France, like a co-capital to Paris.
>>
>>897524
Hilarious responses like that are why I made this thread, not 'clever' responses like "I used to think le nazis were da bad guys XD"
>>
File: kingz 2.0.jpg (70 KB, 880x880) Image search: [Google]
kingz 2.0.jpg
70 KB, 880x880
I used to think that Africa was all black.

WE
>>
File: 1431247451552.jpg (109 KB, 500x439) Image search: [Google]
1431247451552.jpg
109 KB, 500x439
>germanic peoples were all Germany minor, dutch and germans were exactly the same, etc.
>thought islam was limited to an area in the middle east, mostly arabian peninsula
>thought there was basically nothing between Australia and China besides a bunch of islands that no one lived on
>thought the amazon rain forest was in africa
>thought the tiger 2 was the original tiger tank and was always confused when people talked about the tiger 2 in comparison with the original tiger
This one was because I thought and still do think the Tiger is ugly as shit. I thought it was just a heavy panzer 4 or something.
>thought islam was basically some weird asian bushido thing and that's why they blew themselves up like the japanese
I'll stop here.
>>
File: 9765876495674876.png (144 KB, 370x373) Image search: [Google]
9765876495674876.png
144 KB, 370x373
>>895508
I thought Belgium was a place in Germany
>>
>>895914
It's not great. I left home after he tried to pressure me into dating/marrying his African immigrant friends' sons (Not joking).
>>896242
He'd occasionally slap me or hit me over the head, but the few times he actually tried to hurt me turned into stalemates.
>>896583
To the rest of the country it would be abuse, but in the immigrant community I lived in, slapping the shit out me was a lovetap and attempts to kick me in the ribs were accepted.
>>
i thought britain, england and uk were the same thing.
I thought hitler was evil.
>>896238
>>895987
KEK
>>896433
hitler did nothing wrong
>>
I thought that WW1 was the US, Great Britain, and France vs Nazi Germany in Europe and that WW2 was the US vs Japan. All in the same time frame.

It was until I was like 13 that my dad told me that they're completely separate wars. We live in a country that had almost nothing to do in both wars btw.
>>
That Alsace and Lorraine are not German clay
That Edward the Confessor did not want William the Conqueror to be his successor and liked the Godwinsons.
That the Crusaders were second sons in search of more land.
>>
>>899849
Wow.

More please.
>>
>>896073
It's good to see someone thinking positive. And I agree
>>
>>896238
Which is pretty normal, seeing most 'villainous organizations' are based off nazis (especially noticable in the newest Star Wars).
>>
>>895508
I thought the modern Macedonia is the same as ancient Macedonia.
>>
I thought Romans were still around because my friend's parents hired two actors to pretend to be Roman Legionnaires for his birthday. I think I was in 1st grade.
>>
I didn't know Latin was a dead language and thought peoples in Latin Americas spoke Latin.
>>
File: en-con-giant-statue.jpg (12 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
en-con-giant-statue.jpg
12 KB, 225x300
>>900073
>I thought Romans were still around

What could have been ...

>>On 8 October 1912, during the First Balkan War, Lemnos became part of Greece. The Greek navy under Rear Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis took it over without any casualties from the occupying Turkish Ottoman garrison, who were returned to Anatolia. Peter Charanis, born on the island in 1908 and later a professor of Byzantine history at Rutgers University recounts when the island was occupied and Greek soldiers were sent to the villages and stationed themselves in the public squares. Some of the children ran to see what Greek soldiers looked like. ‘‘What are you looking at?’’ one of them asked. ‘‘At Hellenes,’’ the children replied. ‘‘Are you not Hellenes yourselves?’’ a soldier retorted. ‘‘No, we are Romans." Thus was the most ancient national identity in all of history, preserved in isolation, finally absorbed and ended.[14]
>>
I though Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan were the same person or from the same group.

Zoroastrism was an east asian religion thinking it was exactly like Buddhism.

The Netherlands was the geographic term for Scandinavia, before I even knew what Scandinavia was.

British was an ethnic group
>>
>>899744
> London being in France

Why'd you think that?
>>
>>898880
It implies Belgians and French didnt deserve it. Also, they werent the only figures involved, to this day they probably think so knowing them.
I guess thats what happens when you make germans mad :^)
% 5 less french in this world has done alot of good, its not like they would have done anything besides surrender
>>
I thought everyone who wasn't christian was Jewish
I remembered I asked this Hindu girl in kindergarten if she celebrated Christmas and when she said no I asked her about Judaism
>>
>>900123
>British was an ethnic group
it is
>>
>>899744
>I thought that Aristotle was a contemporary of Plato
But Aristotle was a student of Plato?
>>
>>900094
Oh shit
T-thanks multiculturalism
>>
>>900278

And the Romans absorbed and integrated a lot of cultures into Roman culture. Things ebb and flow.
>>
>>899079
>yeah, the closest historical source to him calls him "warrior"

[Citation needed]
>>
The Allies were the good guys.
>>
File: this_guy.jpg (562 KB, 939x1190) Image search: [Google]
this_guy.jpg
562 KB, 939x1190
>>899744
>That monarchies had all been extinguished. Blew my mind when I found out that there are still countries out there with kings and princes.

We tried, anon. Maybe one day.
>>
>>898865
that's nobody's business but the turks
>>
>>895736
He just seems to think that all pre-WWII Europeans were pretty much on the same level, morally.
At the risk of agreeing with blanket statements, he's basically right. I mean, there are differences and discrepancies, but he's not too far off.
>>
>>900828

Yeah, I used to think he was over-simplifying but at this point I think he's more correct than the conventional view.
>>
>>895508
That TIME CUBE can't real when it does
>>
>>895508

I used to believe God was real, and that he created the world and human beings.
>>
>>899744
>That monarchies had all been extinguished. Blew my mind when I found out that there are still countries out there with kings and princes.
Same here
>>
I can't think of any, which probably means that I'm currently having embarassinly many that I'm unaware of.
>>
>>895508
As a kid, I thought that elevators are powered by german WW2 POW's working a handcrank
>>
File: ataturk_fedora.png (70 KB, 243x324) Image search: [Google]
ataturk_fedora.png
70 KB, 243x324
>>901251
>>
I thought the entirety of Africa was Abo-tier before European colonialism.

I had no idea that African monarchies and even permanent settlements existed.
>>
Rome fell to the Huns
Cleopatra was Egyptian
The Persian empire only had one period
Modern Turks are directly descended from the Hittites
Modern Italians are directly descended from the Romans
Huns were from somewhere near Germany
>>
File: 1450675403093.jpg (42 KB, 486x572) Image search: [Google]
1450675403093.jpg
42 KB, 486x572
I thought the Soviet Union had been long gone, and I remember having a small mind bomb go off when I read that it collapsed at the end of 1991.
>>
File: lol.jpg (12 KB, 290x174) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
12 KB, 290x174
>>901497
What made you think that? Where did that idea originate?
>>
>>901633
Well, I was pretty little and I didn't really know how engines work like, so I thought there is a big handcrank. But working it all day and night would be really hard work and nobody would want to do it, so you need to force someone. But we are good guys, so you can't just force some random people, you need to do it with evil people. And the only evil people I could think of were Germans.
>>
>>901589

I didnt realize the USSR didnt exist until I was like 8 in 1998.
>>
File: haha.jpg (8 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
haha.jpg
8 KB, 230x219
>>901650
Thanks for the laugh m8
>>
I'd actually thought when I was 8 that each bill or coin that was currently circulated had George Bush on it, they were all him at different ages.
>>
>Thought the Earth was under 10,000 years old
>Thought Evolution was a myth
>Thought humans lived with Dinosaurs
>Thought the Biblical exodus actually happened
>Thought Solomon was a real person
>Thought that Reagan and Bush Jr were among the best presidents in US history
>>
>>896340
Have you ever met a black family who did not use corporal punishment?
>>
>swiss people were from wisconsin which was a different country
desu I was an arizonian
>>
I thought japan was bad
Everyone was telling me how evil they were
Turns out they were just trying to save asia
Theyve failed but they'll doing so now culturally
>>
>>899044
Are your friends just really dumb or something? Where do you live? I'm in northern California and I can't think of anybody, no matter how dumb I might perceive them to be who would believe something like that.
>>
>>899079
>calls him "warrior"
You do not know what you are talking about.
Jesus likely did exist, but he was nothing more than an apocalyptic preacher who was an offshoot of John the Baptist, who himself was an offshoot of the Essene's, and once he died his followers didn't want to look dumb so they retconned his original message, and once Paul and started organizing the religion he converted the original message of imminent doomsday became even more perverted.
>>
File: znmwlmV.jpg (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
znmwlmV.jpg
85 KB, 500x500
>Thought all Germans were Nazis/ Evil
> Watch All Quiet On Western Front
> Watch Swing Kids
> Understand that Germans were just fighting for their country like all soldiers do
> THEY WUZ HOOMAN BEANS
> Still understand that some were fucking dickbags
>>
>>896238
Kek.
Kinda in the same boat though
>watch hitler and the occult doc as a little kid
>surprised when hitler wasnt a wizard
>>
A girl in my class asked if Ghandi was real.
>>
>>902459
>some
>>
I thought that the USSR was someone misspelling Russia but in all caps for nearly a decade of my life
>>
Everyone in Germany was a nazi, even during WW1
The Germans were historically Britain's enemies
The Romans were evil conquerors
The Holy Roman Empire was just Medieval Germany
Napoleon was evil, as were the French, but they became good when World War One happened.
The British Empire were the heroes who did all the hard work in WW2, the US and the USSR just helped out.
The Jews were persecuted in Germany for religious reasons, I didn't realise to be Jewish was an ethnicity as well until very late.
Britain was not anti-semitic at all, nor racist
>>
I thought Columbus & George Washington were the same dude
>>
>>895508
That the Iliad was about the Persian war (and that Troy was another name for Persia).

That China still had an emperor (this one's due to Mulan).

Probably the biggest one is not realizing that ancient "countries" weren't the same as modern nation states.
>>
>>895508
That the suffragettes "struggled" or accomplished anything.
>>
I used to think that Napoleon and the French Revolutionaries did something wrong.
>>
>>895718
>I thought America saved Europe in WW2.
That's true though.
Sure Russia and Britain were responsible for most of the fighting but they were on the ropes when america got involved.
If it hadn't been for american involvement britain would have been starved out by the germans and russia would have been fighting a war on two fronts by themselves.
>>
>>896017
Not anymore, now we're awkward children entering puberty.
>>
Siberia was a country somewhere up near Finland/Norway.

Rome collapsed basically overnight when germanic tribes invaded.

Stolen Generation was just "misguided policy" and was designed too help aboriginals and it occurred sometime in the 1800s. (Officially ended in the mid 1970s but many of the policies live on still today)

America and the UK saved the world in WW2. (we learned basically nothing of the eastern front in WW2 aside from Stalingrad and watching Enemy at the Gates)

The bible was considered literal historical fact by historians (they actually taught us this in school)

Rome and Greece were the same thing.

I thought the Berlin Wall was some several thousand kilometer wall that went RIGHT ACROSS the border between the eastern bloc and western europe. It actually wasn't even until this year did I realize that West Berlin was an island 100% surrounded by East Germany.

I thought Yugoslavia still existed sometime until the mid 2000s.

Gallipoli was the most important campaign in WW1 (They still teach this in Australia btw)

Long Tan was the most important battle in VIetnam (Still teach this in Australia btw)

There were no "battles" or "wars" fought in Australia (this is how schools and the Government handwave away the colonial wars and genocide of the aboriginals)

Australia had no slavery.
>>
>>902888
>There were no "battles" or "wars" fought in Australia (this is how schools and the Government handwave away the colonial wars and genocide of the aboriginals)

>Australia had no slavery.

Do they take really take this line in the Australian education system? I'm from Canada, which is basically Australia's brother, and its the complete opposite. Not a single history or social studies course goes by without mentioning how we fucked over the natives and should feel bad.
>>
>>902896
They did when I went too school (90s, early 00s) but we had a radically conservative Government back then.

I doubt it has changed much though, Australia pretty much flat out hates Aboriginals.

I'm 99% sure they still don't talk about blackbirding that occurred all over Queensland of Aboriginals, Maori and Polynesians (who then were mass executed and dumped into mass graves)
>>
>>902888
>I thought Yugoslavia still existed sometime until the mid 2000s.

Technically it did didn't it?
>>
>>902911
Heh, I guess you're right, I thought it fully broke up around 1996.
>>
>>899035
I never believed this but I still have a horrible time when I try to conjure up images of the past without using images, paintings, and propaganda from the time as a base.
>>
I thought Spain was a rich and powerful country that rivaled the likes of France and Germany
>>
>>902951
>Montezuma please
>>
File: 1454896584728.jpg (14 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1454896584728.jpg
14 KB, 255x255
>>895759
>>
I used to think that Russia and the Soviet Union were the same country and that Russia didn't exist since 1991
>>
>>900073
I wish my parents had hired Roman Legionnaires for my Birthday that sounds cool as fuck
>>
>>902951
Depends on the century desu desu.
>>
>>902896
No they don't
The Australian education system constantly mentions Abos and how they were great and the most advanced civilisation and how the white man ruined it
>>
That things got better over time and that things will just get better in the future, and that people genuinely stand by "Learn from the past to not make the same mistakes"
>>
File: 1458966703805.png (245 KB, 444x638) Image search: [Google]
1458966703805.png
245 KB, 444x638
>>902521
>The Holy Roman Empire was just Medieval Germany

HOLE UP

This isn't true?
>>
I was taught that the Civil War was a plot to shift America's capital and production from the South to Jewish run Northern cities. Never really taught about slavery and it was mostly compared to indentured servitude.
>>
>>903185
where are you from?
>>
>>903199
Arkansas

that was my parents, not my school, but the state education is p fucked
>>
>benign colonialism
>>
Used to believe in the Holocaust
>>
>>900094
maybe its the lack of sleep but i can't wrap my head around this shit
>>
>>903383
>1912
>Greeks take a little island from the Ottomans
>They station soldiers there
>The kids, including the one who would later write about, ran to see the occupying Greek soldiers
>The soldiers wanted to know what they were so interested in them for
>The children wanted to see what Greeks looked like
>The soldiers were confused, as the island was originally Greek, written about by Homer and owned by Athens, then the Macedonians
>They asked if the children were Greek
>The children replied that they were Roman

The island had been Roman, then Byzantine for well over 1000 years, so a few hundred spent under Ottoman rule was of little consequence to a largely remote and isolated island.

The Greeks absorbed the island and slowly replaced the culture. The last of the Romans became Greeks and the last of the Roman Empire was torn down to make way for a holiday economy.
>>
This isn't really a specific thing, but I had no idea how interconnected the world used to be. I thought every nation generally stuck to itself aside from the occasional war. I didn't think trade and shipping took off until sometime after the 1700s
>>
>>895508
I thought Hitler was born in Germany, and back then Austria and Germany were the same country so he was born in the Austrian part.

I think I believed that because I heard an adult say it once.
>>
>>895938
thats correct though
>>
I thought white people were good
>>
>>903847
Fuck off Tyrone
>>
>>896272
Mark Antony often suggested him to become the emperor but he always refused and simply kept the charge of dictator until death
>>
>>902888
>>
>>895508
Hitler killed 6000000 Jews and 5000000 other
How is that possible?
>>
>>895782
There are good goyim and bad goyim, goy
>>
I can see we all played the AoE2 Barbarossa campaign and every one though the HRE was Catholic rome
>>
I thought that the Balkans was an uncivilized quagmire of suffering and despair who always liked to kill each others
>>
>>902888
>Stolen Generation was just "misguided policy" and was designed too help aboriginals
it was though
>>
Back when I was 5 or 6 years old I thought Europe was still in the medieval age, with all the castles and old architecture in their post cards. Always thought civilization was only in the new world.
>>
>>902896
Funny, because in the US we can't stop talking about how badly we screwed the Native Americans and are always trying to find ways to make it up to them

t. 1/16th Native American and I get all kinds of awesome scholarships and opportunities because I am legally a member of a tribe
>>
>>901589
>>901665
For some reason I still find this hard to believe. I always thought the Cold War ended in the 70s or something for whatever reason.
>>
>>902429
Mine?
>>
File: just fuck my entire life up.png (31 KB, 212x194) Image search: [Google]
just fuck my entire life up.png
31 KB, 212x194
Oswald Mosley was the worst Briton to ever live, and a traitor to the country
>>
>>896272
leave my board
>>
>>895718
>I also thought that WW1 was about Germany wanting to take over the world.
This is sort of true. The German and Austrian leadership were planning for a cataclysmic war against Russia and the other Slavic states, and they took advantage of the death of Franz Joseph in a dishonest way (accusing the Serbian government without evidence, making demands of them that were calculated to be refused, etc.) It was a war of Austrian/German aggression.
>>
>>895508
I thought that Australia was settled by people in the same way the US was settled. Now I know that Australia is just a prison island full of a bunch of cunts.
>>
>>896207

LAS MALVINAS SON ARGENTINAS
>>
>>896379

Holy shit.

I remember translating a speech by Cicero 5 years ago and I can still remember the 'O tempora, o mores'
>>
>Thought the Holy Roman Empire was Rome after it converted to Christianity
>>
>900000
>>
>>900000
>>
>>896242
>The US is pretty much #1 in the world for social mobility
That's just propaganda. The actual social mobility in US is fairly low, if you look at the statistics.
>>
>>895508
Just sort of a general vagueness of what existed and when.

>>896373
Oh believe me, we have lectures.

>>902429
Yes. Every black family I've ever known, specifically.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.