[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Universals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nobwxksntF1qg20oho1_1280.jpg (217 KB, 640x441) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nobwxksntF1qg20oho1_1280.jpg
217 KB, 640x441
What are peoples general thoughts on Universals in a metaphysical sense? Would other alien species share common traits or universals (e.g. in culture, belief, history, etc) aligned with that of humans own "universal" existence?
>>
>>894576
>culture, belief
I doubt an alien species would be THAT similar to humans
>>
I don't understand the question. Could you state it more clearly?
>>
I have lying around here somewhere a text about Giambattista Vico's thoughts on universals. Might post part of tit later.
>>
>universals
A crock of shit and a relic of ancient modes of thinking that went along the lines of essences and absolutes. It is not substantiated by anything other than more metaphysics which are not substantiated by anything else.
>>
>>894951

Do universals actually exist in the universe..... Are Universal Laws applied to all living beings? \

Basically, evolution and natural selection are universal laws; if that's the case, species, similar to use which are intelligent might develop certain behaviours, etc that mimic our own....... Does this means universals exist? Do universals exist is my main question
>>
>>895082
>>Basically, evolution and natural selection are universal laws;
lel no.

scientific models are founded on statistical induction coating a lot of inferences that people think are deductions
>>
>>895088

Well, don't we have enough evidence here on earth to infer that life is most likely going to evolve elsewhere in the universe like here on earth?
>>
>>895088

This is also according to the laws of nature (e.g. Gravity, etc).... Beings will evolve according to these physical laws in the universe, which in turn can influence evolution
>>
>>895105
obviously not.
>>
>>895105
people always love to desire to ''know'' qualities and quantities of what they are not conscious, so they invent a lot of structures for inferences and yes, the usual step is to claim that what happens on your local population at time T, will happen everywhere else at any time.
this is the point of the principle of induction: to speculate and feel good about speculating because you no longer say '' I personally think that....''' but ''by the principle of induction, I feel entitled, it is legitimate to infer (any statement that I like to infer)''

>>895133
I was talking really about the ''scientific method''; models in physics are equally inductive with cramming as many statements got by ''deductive rules'' inside the inductive inferences.
>>
there are probably very broadly speaking some universals - I imagine any sufficiently advanced alien civilization would have discovered similar scientific concepts to us (the speed of light/theory of relativity, atomic theory, etc), although of course their actual technological progress may have developed in ways radically different to ours.

Beyond that, I don't think there's much you can take for granted that an alien species would have in common with us. Perhaps some variation on "I think, I am". A fear of death is also probably a common trait.

Things like language, religion, music etc are all based on the assumption of a relatively human-like alien species, and there's not really any reason to assume that an alien species would have anything whatsoever in common with humans, physically, emotionally or intellectually.
>>
>>895147

So your underlying argument is?

That we can never truly know??
>>
>>895174
Of course. It's "u cant kno nuffin" followed by "therefore <insert my favorite metaphysics asspull> is tru"
>>
>>895192
Come on man, you can do better than that hahaha
>>
There is a great commonality and then there are universals

What similarity aliens may have will be part of this great commonality but universal is also a limiter, that is all must conform

It is better to deal with commonalities than universals
>>
>>895236

Could you elaborate on commonality?
>>
>>895254
No need, universals restricts evolutionary freedom
>>
>>895133
Yes but that doesn't mean that for example gravity can't be weaker on some planets etc. which will influence the way different species look like.

To the point - yes and no. That the behaviour like "being angry when something doesn't go your way" will probably be universal to every being in the universe that can feel anger but if you're asking whether all alien species will find out and adapt things like scientific method or rationalism is obviously false because it's not even true on Earth outside of several(albeit big) regions.
>>
>>894576
They would have to live in a society so i assume they would have similar morals
>>
>>895260
How so?
>>
>>895297
when we encounter a "universal" we assume that it is applicable to all, which is a definition but that may not be true within a temporal frame

that is let's say a species must be bound by gravity since elements are but it could be possible that they have transcended the physical a long time ago, or that all of its members decided to put all of their species essence into a united organism so that they no longer have individualism and so forth or that they only exist/detectable as energy loops in the quantum universe, what is seemingly universal to us may not be to them
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.