[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Easter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 33
File: crucifixion.jpg (31 KB, 619x257) Image search: [Google]
crucifixion.jpg
31 KB, 619x257
I don't understand why Jesus (who can perform miracles and resurrection) dying for our sins (????) is such a big deal. Can any explain to me the significance?

Sorry, I don't know that much about religion. If I'm being overly simplistic or ignorant please tell me the answer. I do consider myself somewhat of a believer in God, but I've never understood Easter that much.
>>
humans created -> eat from tree of knowledge -> ingest sin -> live in sin -> jesus born as human, with image of sin -> died on cross, resurrected and ascended to heaven -> you are granted salvation and rescue from sin if you believe in jesus -> ensure you return to god after second coming of jesus
>>
Speaking of Easter not making any sense

>Jesus is crucufied on Friday
>returns after 'three days' on Sunday
Christians in charge of counting.
>>
>>893810
>miracles

Turning water into wine, cursing fig trees, appearing on toasts.

Nice omnipotent god.
>>
Easter has nothing to do with Christianity.

>Easter
>Ishtar
It's a pagan holiday. Only Catholics celebrate it.
>>
it's a huge deal. after nox, chaos and yaldaboath created the matrix they thought they'd be able to rule over creation ( homo) forever but zeus said fuck that and begot a son to recognize the gnostic truth for all of creation (neanderthals)....
>>
File: Donuts.jpg (34 KB, 365x277) Image search: [Google]
Donuts.jpg
34 KB, 365x277
>>893810
>Can any explain to me the significance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnvq5gfKtO4
>>
>>893824
>humans created -> eat from tree of knowledge -> ingest sin -> live in sin -> jesus born as human, with image of sin ->
Ok I'm good

>died on cross, resurrected and ascended to heaven
This seems like a bit of a jump

>you are granted salvation and rescue from sin if you believe in jesus
So now I have to believe this with no justification?
>>
File: MRI_machine.jpg (330 KB, 2481x1500) Image search: [Google]
MRI_machine.jpg
330 KB, 2481x1500
>>893924
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdg
>>
Not an expert in theology, but I believe someone once said to me that it had to do with the Flaming Sword, stuck on the gates of Paradise, forbidding man from entering heaven. That's all I know.
>>
>>893810
The death it's self is overblown, actually. Let me sum up in this handy greentext...

>Jesus is the mortal son of the eternal God
>Jesus is the ONLY mortal that has lived a life completely devoid of sin, making him the only perfect score ever to live.
>Having the two traits above, Jesus is the only one with the ability and authority to make right the debts we owe a perfectly just God accrued through our sins.
>Exercising this authority, Jesus pays the price for our sins in the garden on the Mount of Olives. He is later taken into custody of the romans.
>The price for sin having been paid, only our mortality prevents us from living an eternal life with God
>To overcome death, Jesus has to die. If he doesn't than he can't be resurrected.
>While on the cross, He "gives up the ghost" (let's himself die)
>after three days spent teaching the spirits of the dead, he re-enters his body, changing it in to an immortal body and keeping only the wounds in hands, feet and side as tokens so that others can prove to themselves that he is Jesus.
>With the barriers of Sin and Death removed, all anyone has to do to live eternally with God and Jesus is to follow the repent and follow the path He set. (With lots of repeating of repenting because we make mistakes all the time)
>Rather than having the impossible tasks of being perfect and not dying, now we all have access to life eternal.

There you go, OP, that's why it mattered. Note that the actual dying part is really just a means to an end,
>>
Supposedly after his death he is transferred to hell (as that was EVERY MANS fate no matter how righteous) and he dragged out of hell all the righteous people and made them follow him to Heaven where he opened the gates and allowed every righteous man inside. This all was done in those "3" days he was dead.
He then came back to the world of the living and spooked his students and then left again to rejoin His father.

Tried to keep it simple.
>>
File: photo.jpg (74 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
74 KB, 900x900
>>894458
>>after three days spent teaching the spirits of the dead, he re-enters his body, changing it in to an immortal body and keeping only the wounds in hands, feet and side as tokens so that others can prove to themselves that he is Jesus.

[Citations Required]

>>894553
>Supposedly after his death he is transferred to hell (as that was EVERY MANS fate no matter how righteous) and he dragged out of hell all the righteous people and made them follow him to Heaven where he opened the gates and allowed every righteous man inside.

[Citations Required]
>>
File: jesus-christ-crucifixion-150.jpg (255 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
jesus-christ-crucifixion-150.jpg
255 KB, 1024x768
>>893810
Did he die at all? or did he sleep for days?

Define death. Breathing stop? Heart stop?
Just like CPR redefine death, the usual meaning of death don't apply to Jesus.

To me death is final, since Jesus know about the
resurrection. It's not death at all.
>>
>>895086
Where can I find badass old school crucifixes and saint stuff like that? All my church has are realistic prints on paper.
>>
>>895086
Scourged, asphyxiated on the cross, stabbed in the ribs with a spear, gave up the ghost.
>>
>>895542
So?
>>
Wussup christards? Has Jesus appeared to you in his toast or dog's asshole incarnation yet?
>>
>>893866
The day is called Pascha.
>>
>>893866
>Only Catholics celebrate it.
What? No.
>>
>>893856
It has to do with how Jews count days.

What we call night is what they would call the start of a new day.

So in Jewish counting you have to move the calender forward 1 day.
>>
>>893866
>>
>>896568
"Easter was originally the celebration of Ishtar, the Assyrian and Babylonian goddess of fertility and sex. Her symbols (like the egg and bunny) were and still are fertility and sex symbols (or did you actually think eggs and bunnies had anything to do with the resurrection?) After Constantine decided to Christianize the Empire, Easter was changed to represent Jesus. But at its roots, Easter (which is how you pronounce Ishtar) is all about celebrating fertility and sex."
>>
>>896568
wasn't it Oester, yesterday?
Seriously, it's Pasca.
It comes from the Jewish Passover.
IT'S NOT THAT HARD!
>>
>>896595
Yeah, this. Easter is born from the Passover feast. Even today Easter and Passover are always celebrated within days of each other.
>>
>>896568

Not real faggot
>>
>>893856
it's returns ON the third day, not after three days isn't it?

Friday
Saturday
Sunday (third day)

>>896568
>>896592
>believing this meme
>>
the symbol of the rabbit stems from pagan tradition, specifically the festival of Eostre—a goddess of fertility whose animal symbol was a bunny. Rabbits, known for their energetic breeding, have traditionally symbolized fertility.
>>
>>896671
>>
>>896671
t. American Gods.
>>
>>896595
>>896615
>>896633

Didn't Jesus lay an egg during Easter?
>>
>>893919
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NUo9wysUo
>>
>>896448
It doesn't matter. There are only two nights between Friday and Sunday: Friday night and Saturday night.

>>896633
So if he died and came back to life immediately, you would say he came back 'on the first day after his crucifixion'? That is not how English works.

Face it, the whole resurrection story is based on the inability of early Christians to count to two.
>>
>>896694
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_seSpW_DSY
>>
>>893856
It's not "after 3 days" it's "on the third day"
>>
>>893810
>I don't understand why Jesus (who can perform miracles and resurrection) dying for our sins (????) is such a big deal
It's actually quite self explanatory, the punishment for sin is death and with Jesus dying and being resurrected he defeats death for everyone, allowing anyone who believes to be resurrected.
>>
File: Grimshaw 1885.jpg (2 MB, 2402x3000) Image search: [Google]
Grimshaw 1885.jpg
2 MB, 2402x3000
Jesus came as a human sacrifice for mankind Hence the comparisson to a lamb in som text's

according to the Torah humans have to live according to the ten commandments and other jewish laws.

Since nobody can live without sin Jesus was to take the blame for every that was and wil be. because of that we can ask for salvation and be rid of our sins.

During the crusification he died and went to the realm of the dead not ''hell'' as we know it
>http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-go-to-hell.html

This is the base of christianity. to believe in jesus who gave us another chance
>>
>>896733
OK, look at this way. Somebody walks up to you and says, "Jim got totally wasted three days ago." What day did Jim get totally wasted on?

Most people would count today as one day, yesterday as two days ago, and the day before yesterday as three. You could try and be pedantic and say that today isn't complete yet, so it shouldn't count as a day, but nobody will give a shit because you're just being difficult at that point.
>>
>>896733
>So if he died and came back to life immediately, you would say he came back 'on the first day after his crucifixion'? That is not how English works.
Did you even read my post? I said they think he returned ON the third day, not after three days. I could be wrong because I'm not a christian and can't be bothered to find the passage.
>>
>>896884
>>896884
>dying and being resurrected he defeats death for everyone

nonsense.
Unless you believe scarify a lamb/human can gain you something anything.

Anyway, did he die at alll?
see >>895086
>>
>>896973
The phrase '...on the third day...' is mentioned a few different times, including Luke 18:33 and 1 Corinthians 15:4. It's specifically 'on' and not 'after'.
>>
File: Achchyually.png (249 KB, 549x539) Image search: [Google]
Achchyually.png
249 KB, 549x539
>>896884
"Ackchyually, it's quiet self-explainatory... this guy Jebus died and was reserected... so anyone who believs it will be also. Its not nonsense at all, its achtually self explanaitory. Makes sense to me. idk why ppl dont understand."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo3zAdXM4Tk
>>
File: BARK.png (703 KB, 816x1200) Image search: [Google]
BARK.png
703 KB, 816x1200
>>897032
>>
File: .pixbreadandwine..jpg (44 KB, 576x468) Image search: [Google]
.pixbreadandwine..jpg
44 KB, 576x468
>>897032
Don't forget to eat HIS body drink HIS blood.
>>
>>896568
So I don't have to worry about fapping all these days?
>>
File: Blonde-Hair-Blue-Eyed-Jesus.jpg (125 KB, 1088x1200) Image search: [Google]
Blonde-Hair-Blue-Eyed-Jesus.jpg
125 KB, 1088x1200
>>896977
>It's specifically 'on' and not 'after'.

If English is good enough for Jesus....
>>
>>894458
>Jesus is the ONLY mortal that has lived a life completely devoid of sin
>who is Mary
>>
>>897171
Catholics are the worst type of christians.
>>
>>897386

They're the only type of Christian
>>
>>897386
this, really. It's pretty obvious Jesus was using an allegory there.
>>
>>893810
The stories in the bible have been changed to get more people to convert. That's why Jesus is the son of God (which makes modern day Christianity not truly monotheistic as some Christians tend to worship Jesus, a man) and many holidays have pagan origins (such as Christmas).
>>
>>895086
>Just like CPR redefine death, the usual meaning of death don't apply to Jesus.
No. If you're thinking in those terms, somewhere, your christology is broken. If the usual meaning of death does not apply to Jesus, then they don't apply to anyone.
>>
>>895112
>Where can I find badass old school crucifixes and saint stuff like that?
A catholic or orthodox church.
>>
>>894458
>Jesus is the ONLY mortal that has lived a life completely devoid of sin

what about the cleansing of the temple, where he violently threw out some merchants? sure, his reaction is understandable, but it was a still a sign of wroth, one of the 7 deadly sins in catholicism. it seems contradictory to his usual teachings of turning the other cheek and loving thy neighbor.
>>
>>893924
the justification is in the bible
>>
>>893924
>if you believe in jesus
only in protestantism, according to catholicism, you can still be saved if you are a decent person. believing in Jesus just makes it easier.
>>
>>893824
>ingest sin
hahahahahfahhadhahahahadhgahahahahagadhahahha this is what christcucks ACTUALLY BELIEVE
>>
>>898680
where does the authority of the bible come from
>>
>>898725
god. it is "god's breath"

if we're talking about jesus dying for our sins then there's no point denying that the bible is the authority on this very point. whether you believe it is true or not is irrelevant to what the bible says about the events, the purpose, etc.
>>
>>898693
Catholicism is a satanic counterfeit religion.

Popes are antichrists, this is well established and known.
>>
>>898777
trips of truth
>>
>>893824

Here's a much shorter one:

Read a book of Jewish fairy tales -> reader is a beta faggot who doesn't have the balls to call it what it is -> book teaches literally nothing but self-loathing and slave morality -> the reader is now an even bigger beta and will never live for himself
>>
>>898777
You are Jewish.

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
That was a misdirection. Devil make you believe He is God.
>>
>>899468

So Jesus was really Satan in disguise?
>>
>>898678

Have you ever met a single Christian that
1) Turn the other cheek?
2) Love his/her enemies?
3) not judge?
4) meek?
hatred, bigotry, racism are the norm for Christians.

Jsut look around.
>>
File: -pol-src-1369489089998.jpg (57 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
-pol-src-1369489089998.jpg
57 KB, 400x400
>>898680
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGlx11BxF24
>>
>>897425
>>
>>899495
Jesus want you to make a deal with HIM personally.
Then eat his flesh and drink his blood.
>>
>>899542

>wanting nothing but happiness
>expecting nothing but joy in life and zero hardship

Are these people 5?
>>
>>899645

That sounds exactly like something the devil would do to trick me.

I mean, eating his flesh? Drinking his blood? Aren't those some really obvious hints?
>>
>>895086
>Did he die at all? or did he sleep for days?
>>895542
>>898673
>No. If you're thinking in those terms, somewhere, your christology is broken. If the usual meaning of death does not apply to Jesus, then they don't apply to anyone.

To most people, death is go to sleep and never wake up again.
Also, death is an unknown. assume Jesus know, it not the same anymore.
Jesus wake up after 3 days, as he predicted before.

Can Jesus feel pain?
Do Jesus need air?
Jesus need blood??
Can Jesus walk on water?
Jesus need a ghost??

Christology? which version? thereare so many to choose from.
>>
>>899704
What are you, some kind of pussy? The Devil is the kind of nigga who would back out at the last minute and try to make someone else do it for him.
>>
Why didn't he hang around for a bit longer when he came back from the dead? Did he, dare I say it, never come back at all?
>>
>>900982
You know the devil personally?
>>
>>895086
>Define death
The separation of the Spirit from the physical body.
i.e., he commended his spirit to the Father
>>
>>897425
>It's pretty obvious Jesus was using an allegory there
John 6:53
>>
>>893856
You are correct. It requires some Hebrew to do the counting.

There used to be two celebrations; Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread. The second feast started 24 hours after Passover. Passover started (well, it involves full moons and barley harvests. it's actually quite complicated).

As you suspected Jesus did not die on a Friday. He died on Nisan 14, 32 AD, a Thursday, and the Passover. Wednesday night He ate the Last Supper, Wednesday midnight he was arrested and held for trial, and 9:00 a.m. on Thursday He was put on a cross, died, and was buried that same day.

Thursday, He's crucified, dead, and in the grave. One day and one night. Friday, another day and another night. Saturday, another day and another night, bleeding into Sunday morning, Nisan 17, the Festival of First Fruits.

So that week looked like this:

Sunday Nisan 10 Palm Sunday.
Wednesday Nisan 13 Preparation Day
Wednesday night Nisan 14 into Passover.
Thursday Nisan 14 Passover, and Crucifixion.
Thursday night and Friday: Feast of Unleavened Bread, a special sabbath.
Friday night into Saturday: regular sabbath
Sunday Nisan 17 Resurrection and First Fruits.

Three days and three nights in the tomb.

So you can count on Christians being able to square circles, but only if they know something about old Hebrew law.

It also helps to never ask a Catholic about anything to do with Christianity. They haven't a clue.
>>
>>893861
Speaking the universe into existence, creating everything that was created, conquering death and the grave, and quickening all those who believe into eternal life.

Yes, yes He is.
>>
>>893866
Correct. Pagan Rome then, Pagan Romanism now.
>>
>>893924
How is Jesus rising from the grave not justification to believe Jesus rose from the grave?
>>
>>894280
That person confused the Garden of Eden on earth with Paradise, a section of the afterlife.
>>
>>897386
Very few of them are born again Christians. So few that they actually have a term for when a lifelong Catholic becomes a Christian. I can't recall what it is, but it must be embarrassing to them.
>>
>>893810
>I don't understand why Jesus (who can perform miracles and resurrection) dying for our sins (????) is such a big deal.

When God first made man, our our beings were in perfect harmony with Him. We were without sin, nor knowledge of sin. Evil did not exist among men. But when man Fell, sin came to be known among us, and harmony with the Lord our God was forever ruptured. We could never achieve our final and true purpose, Ascension into heaven to remain at the side of the Lord for all eternity, because of the sin which now lay in our hearts. Out of His mercy, the Lord took it upon himself to rectify the wrong which man had committed. To bridge the gap between Man and God, God assumed the Nature of Man in the form of Jesus Christ. From this Man (Christ) offered up a holocaust of infinite value (Himself) in death, freeing all men from all Time for the effects of sin, allowing men to at long last Ascend into heaven. The sign that this final work was completed, and that Christ is indeed the Messiah, is in His Resurrection. For in the Resurrection, Christ returned to us, both Body and Soul, Man as he was before the Fall, FULLY RESTORED AND WITHOUT DEATH. Thus, man's purpose can now be fulfilled. At the end of days Our Lord shall return, and the righteous still living shall ascend into heaven, those who have died, shall receive back their bodies, and the damned shall fall with their bodies, and the already tormented, shall receive back their flesh.
>>
>>900658

To God, death is separation from Him, as He is Life.

>Can Jesus feel pain?
Yes, when He was on earth; not sure now. Doubt it. I don't like to say what God could or couldn't do. But when He was here, He had the tolerance of God to feel pain; He had an infinite pain tolerance. He felt more pain than all of us combined.

>Do Jesus need air?
Jesus was as much human as though He were not God, and as much God as though He were not human. Does Jesus need air now? Again, how do we talk about what the Almighty needs?

>Jesus need blood??
Before, to live, yes. Now, I'm not certain that our resurrection bodies have blood flowing through them. There are curious cites about us being flesh and blood while we are alive, yet flesh and bone when we are resurrected.

>Can Jesus walk on water?
Yes, before death and now.

>Jesus need a ghost??
He has the Holy Spirit, Whom people sometimes call the Holy Ghost. But He is in a bodily form that you can touch, if you meet Him. He kept the holes in His hands and feet, and the wound in His side, as trophies of His time on earth.
>>
>>899704
Jesus never wanted anyone to eat His flesh, and drink His blood, and nobody ever has. Never believe pagans who believe in Eat God, Be God.
>>
>>896592
Those are some fine tits
>>
>>901285
Amen.

I want to add something crucial to this that people either have not been taught, or do not know.

When God breathed into Adam's nostrils, Adam became a living being. That Breath of Life, that Ruach Elohim, caused Adam to have life. That Breath of Life, Ruach Elohim, is the Holy Spirit of God.

We can see the risen Jesus blowing into the open mouths of His disciples, and telling them "receive the Holy Spirit".

When Adam and Eve sinned, the Holy Spirit fled them, and they died. That instant. Dead. They were physically alive, but they were separated from God, which is God's definition of death. We call it spiritual death. And mankind was spiritually dead from that point forward, unless an individual positively regained that which Adam and Eve lost, which is the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit of God.

That is what we mean by becoming a born again Christian; born once in water, natural birth, and born again in the Spirit, spiritual birth.
>>
>>901313
They lead to hellfire.
>>
File: Bait-Bait for Weeb-Things.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Bait-Bait for Weeb-Things.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>897250
>implying that Hebrew/Greek are languages incapable of specifying 'on' or 'after'
>>
>>901356
The three days and three nights are explained here: >>901152
>>
>>901402
That's the Quartodecimanism interpretation, which is reasonable but not airtight, and not necessary to understand the difference between on and after.

>>896966's explanation of the dating is just as reasonable.
>>
>>901331
>When Adam and Eve sinned, the Holy Spirit fled them, and they died. That instant. Dead. They were physically alive, but they were separated from God, which is God's definition of death.

No.
>>
>>901435
That's not what Jesus prophesied though. He said that He would only give the unbelieving pharisees the sign of Jonah; that He would be in the belly of the beast for three days and three nights:

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Saying "x happened three days ago" is not the same at all.
>>
>>901435
I don't find that reasonable at all, actually.

It's Monday, and Jim got wasted three days ago.

So Jim got wasted on Friday. Nobody would say, Monday one, Sunday two, Saturday three; three days ago. Saturday was not three days ago.

No, stick to the truth. Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread are two distinct festivals, the second happening 24 hours after the first.
>>
>>901446

Yes.
>>
>>901446
If they come to the Father, they will be coming via Jesus imputing His righteousness to them by their belief.

I trust Jesus to make good decisions.
>>
these threads are compelling arguments that religion should never have been a part of this board.
>>
1) What do Christian do when their child eat the wrong fruit?

2) Original Sin? (make no sense to me.)

3) Human sacrifice? (make no sense to me.)

4) OP ask a great question. no serious answer.
just talk fast and gross over everything.

5) Noone talk about atonement yet. wtf? (atonement also make no sense to me)

6) pic related.
>>
>>901331
In the old day, stop breathing = death.
We know better now.
>>
>>901159
>conquering death and the grave
Why did he need those bullshit workarounds with Jesus dying to do that? Couldn't he have just waved his wand to conquer death and the grave?

What happened to all the people who died before the coming of Jesus? Are they just fucked with no hope of salvation?
>>
>>902272
general thinking is that Jews who died before Jesus are saved but everyone else living before then was fucked so not much better
>>
>>902225
>>
>>902225
>1) What do Christian do when their child eat the wrong fruit?

take it out on their grandchildren, great grandchildren, great great grandchildren...
>>
>>899668
???
>>
>>893924
>This seems like a bit of a jump.
Nigga, this is about religion. You asked and got your answer.
>>
>>902368
Its a Christians tradition.
>>
>>896592
Howcan it have anything with ishtar when in the romance languages and greek, which are early adopters of Christianity, the word is pascha/pasqa/pascua. Pretty much like passover
>>
>>
Why the egg and bunny?
>>
>>908657
Because bunnies are cute and come out of eggs.
>>
I have an issue with this that has made me more or less dead in faith.

What exactly was the point? God creates us, gives us a fairly tempting offer to sin, destroys EVERYTHING, then sends himself to die in order to save us from what he will do to us if we don't believe in him. Fucking WHAT?
>>
Imagine playing a game where there's perma-death. Everyone values life and survival. Then someone who can auto-rez comes along and "dies" to showoff and somehow everyone else who doesn't worship him gets sent to eternal hell.
>>
>>909091

SIN = ate the wrong FRUIT from the wrong tree??

Human Sacrifice is required to undo the SIN.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.