[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in a devised theater piece about two servants in a French
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Marcel_Duchamp_Mona_Lisa_LHOOQ.jpg (39 KB, 300x474) Image search: [Google]
Marcel_Duchamp_Mona_Lisa_LHOOQ.jpg
39 KB, 300x474
I'm in a devised theater piece about two servants in a French countryside estate that are keeping the Mona Lisa out of the hands of Nazis. I play one of the servants but I don't know a lot about the period to make a good backstory. It takes place around 1942. What was France like at the time? What importance did the Mona Lisa have to the French? What was life like for a lower class servant? Information of this nature would be most helpful and appreciated.
>>
The Mona Lisa was a great source of national pride for the French, along with many other pieces in the Louvre that were moved before the occupation of Paris.
>>
bump for a neat thread
>>
>>893338
>>893342
thanks anons. I guess I can bump the thread with more information about the show. It's a silent clown show that gets progressively more absurd until the Nazis and servants have a dance off to the music of popular dance offs in film. In a way we're trying to create art that Hitler would have labeled degenerate and we're drawing heavily from Dada stuff. Other influences include Buster Keaton and the like
>>
last bump for French history!
>>
>What was France like at the time?

For regular non-Jewish French people (aka not an active collaborator), the most negative aspect of your life would be knowing that you were occupied. For the most part, you would not be treated poorly unless you were disobeying orders or acting out or, of course, were suspected of being a spy or otherwise breaking the law. But the mere occupation is bad enough. It would be humiliating, frustrating, intolerable. There were curfews and rules, all put in place by a foreign, invading presence that you would have associated with the trials of WWI, whether you lived through it or not. You would be expected to obey any orders German soldiers gave you, you would be expected not to be openly rude to them, you could be expected to feed them or give up your possessions, and so on. German occupiers would be in YOUR cafes, YOUR cinemas, YOUR restaurants. Active collaborators would enjoy many perks in the occupation: they would have easy access to things that became rationed off (luxuries like regular milk, butter, sugar, cream, pastries/treats, clothing, nylons, etc) but acting against someone who was actively collaborating with the Germans would get you and/or your family in trouble, so you have to swallow your hatred (for the time being).

>What importance did the Mona Lisa have to the French?

The Mona Lisa, and any French artworks or historical buildings or anything of cultural significance, were a source of national pride and pleasure. For the Mona Lisa to fall into Nazi hands would have been a sacrilege, an absolute offense, just as many French found it abhorrent that German soldiers were visiting Versailles and its gardens.
>>
>>893564

>What was life like for a lower class servant?

At a countryside estate, you would be living in servant' quarters in the home. Small but adequate, and almost certainly sharing that room if you were a lower class servant. You would perform your duties during the day, and would probably report to one or more higher ranked servants rather than have much (if any) interaction with the family in the house. You would be expected to treat the home and its family members as something to be appreciated and cared for--treat them right, because you owe them your livelihood. What you did and subsequentl your status as a whole would depend on your gender.

Are the characters male or female? Or both?
>>
>>893603
one male, one femlae. Thank you anon, this has been a great read
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.