[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily remainder that the Spanish Inquisition didn't prosecute
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: europebig.jpg (482 KB, 1306x1412) Image search: [Google]
europebig.jpg
482 KB, 1306x1412
Daily remainder that the Spanish Inquisition didn't prosecute witches (in fact, it stated that witchcraft and magic was an impossible feat), and their punishments were usually less severe than the ones from King's tribunals.
>>
>>892911
What's with the Basque?
>>
Strange, always thought Sweden was worse compared to other countries and that Germany was much worse.

>>892915
Something about Basque Witches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_witch_trials
>>
>>892915
>Basques
>Human
>>
>>892915
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_witch_trials

When the whole Witch prosecution began, it was the first place in Spain where someone started accusing others of Witchcraft. A few moron Inquisitors took it seriously and burned a few people. Then the real Inquisitors came and shut the whole thing down. They did some more examination, but they discovered that witchcraft wasn't a thing and that burning people because of that was retarded.
>>
>>892911
I also noticed the Celts generally don't seem to give a shit about witchcraft, yet wasn't that part of their pagan beliefs incorporated partly into their Christian beliefs?
>>
>>892939
*tips*
>>
File: 24232123.gif (25 KB, 458x236) Image search: [Google]
24232123.gif
25 KB, 458x236
>>892939
Why would it be any more incoperated for the Celts than all the other Christian post-pagan peoples of Europe?
Ireland had been Christian for far longer than the English and Scottish, so the Pagan influence should logically be smaller there.
Unless you are named Jack Chick or just got a good reason I haven't heard of which I would totally like to hear kind Anon.
>>
>>892946
I don't get what's so fedora about that, I'm just asking a genuine question.
>>
>>892939
Why is the north side of the Alps so anti-witch whilst Italy and the rest of Germany doesn't seem to care so much?
>>
>>892911
>Even the Teutonic Order never had witch trials
Protestants confirmed shit
>>
>>892947
It was just an assumption I made, I didn't know if I was correct or not
>>
>>892952
Oh, sorry.
The Fundie Christians are getting at me, totally gonna blame that for this one.
>>
Spanish Inquisition was just them making sure the Moors that stayed behind and "converted" to Christianity; were not still secretly Muslims.
>>
Fucking bullshit, the very first line in the malleus maleficarum is about how it's heretical to believe witches don't exist.

I know this because it amuses me to spam walls of text from the mm
>>
>>893247
It was written by a German, that's all you need to know.
>>
>>893247
>Whether Witches may work some Prestidigatory Illusion so that the Male Organ appears to be entirely
removed and separate from the Body.
>>
>>893247
>malleus maleficarum
You mean this book which was condemned three years after its publication by the Catholic Church?
>>
File: James-I.jpg (146 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
James-I.jpg
146 KB, 1000x1000
As I understand it the red stuff in Scotland was mostly down to this guy
>>
>>894676
delete this
>>
tell me about the witch hunts in Hungary and Sweden.
>>
>>894714
Hungary is interesting for that one of the early kings made a law regarding witches

>King Kálmán (Coloman) of Hungary, in Decree 57 of his First Legislative Book (published in 1100 AD), banned witch hunting because he said, "witches do not exist".

And only in the 18th century did a major withchunt spark with some notable cases like the witch trials of Szeged:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szeged_witch_trials

>The witch trial was instigated by the authorities, which decided on this measure to remove the problem of the public complaints about the drought and its consequences of famine and epidemics by laying the responsibility on people among them, which had fraternized with the Devil.
>>
>>892915
>>892931

Zugarramurdi was the name if a city where this happened. There even is a cave called "The Cathedral of The Devil"
>>
Who is the most famus witch?

>inb4 Elvira
>>
>>894714
Sweden was a fucking tragedy because NOBODY wanted to stop and consider the fact that little boy was a lying sack of shit
>>
>>894826
IIRC there was hysteria over vampires in the Balkans
>>
>>892911
yes, but they were ebil catholics
>>
>>892911
Reminder that Geneva under Calvin was basically a totalitarian theocracy where anyone he didn't like was liable to be burned at the stake.
>>
>>894709
I can feel your butthurt
>>
>>892939
witchcraft was never a big thing here and it has fuck all to do with paganism. We'd blame fairies for everything instead.
>>
File: _______ ____________ __________.png (4 MB, 1778x2014) Image search: [Google]
_______ ____________ __________.png
4 MB, 1778x2014
>>892911
>The Empire
>>
File: Disdain-for-Plebs-2.jpg (16 KB, 198x223) Image search: [Google]
Disdain-for-Plebs-2.jpg
16 KB, 198x223
>>897613
>he doesn't understand the meme
>he's new
>>
>>896621
Prince Rupert
>>
>>892939
Catholics used accusations for witchcraft to get rid of competition(protestants), if there was no competition or freedom of religion was guaranteed, they didn't burn at all.
>>
>>892911
It's frankly shocking how clearly this map lines up with political and cultural borders.

Is it really that harsh, or was the map maker lazy?
>>
>>898688
>no sources
>happened Hungary at a time when it was majority Protestant, Protestant parts of Germany, England, Scotland, Scandinavia
Anon shut the fuck up with your retarded and ahistorical garbage
>>
ITT: feetolicks try to convince people they DIN DO NUFFIN
>>
>>892911
Any good book to read about Spanish Inquisition?
>>
>>898689
>Is it really that harsh
It kinda is, considering witch burnings in Europe were more of a judicial process rather than a straight up mob lynching, so it required government backing to proceed.
So they only happened where the law allowed it.
>>
>>898688
>Catholics used accusations for witchcraft to get rid of competition(protestants)
The fuck?! Proddies were the burnmasters par excellence.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.