[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intelligent discussion of memetics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
I was absolutely fascinated by the concept of a "meme" when I first heard of it, and I am so bummed that it has come to basically mean: "a picture with a caption", or "a silly idea".
For instance, when someone talks about "creating a meme", it sets my teeth on edge.
I'm sure that there are many here with a better understanding of memetics than I. Please share your understanding of this fascinating concept.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme
>>
File: face.jpg (286 KB, 722x792) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
286 KB, 722x792
>he doesn't know what a meme is
>>
Well there are two, but the ladder is not so different from the former.
When they say they want to make a meme the intent is to make something that does what a meme does what a meme is suppose to but since a meme is not made it must mean that whatever they've made must have contained a meme

don't be on the edge for too long
>>
>>891742

>Fun
>>
>>891851
I think they do mean to create something that will catch on and replicate...
But I was thinking the other day how my dad always told me how the daddy long legs over my bed would eat spiders and protect me. Now I tell my kid that. It is a family meme.
Many people would not recognize this as a meme, however.
>>
>>891742
Team
>>
>>891904
meme is a bit more basic then some tid bit of information, it is suppose to be something thing that you pick up from a cultural immersion and pass it on irrelevant whether or not you are conscious of it
>>
>>891742
>First word I see
>QDEGH
>>
>>891742
>fun
>then wealth

yay
>>
>>891742
Wealth.
>>
>>891953
Well, right, thing is, what if his Dad told him that, and etc?

What if we all grew up feeling protected by our daddy Longlegs?
>>
I
>>
>>891742

>wealth

I've always explained memes to myself as inside jokes. They have the exact same characteristics as inside jokes.
>>
>>891978
being told about it changes the meaning some what because it is no longer "natural", the passage of this information is conscious, ie, if you didn't tell your son it dies with you

a meme doesn't need to be told, people just pick them up randomly in a society as if they had tentacles that communicated as well

a trend is meme since the original message is always lost or silenced
>>
TEA
>>
>>891742
WEALTH!
>>
>>891952
Mah nigga
>>
"Youg"
Trump 2016
>>
>>891742
>team
>>
Coach
>>
File: 1458986947004.jpg (204 KB, 673x954) Image search: [Google]
1458986947004.jpg
204 KB, 673x954
>>891742
Wealth then tea

For in depth knowledge on memes and their mechanics look into the defense departments works with memes as a form of social engineering.

Darpa literally has millitary grade memes.

If you can't find anything ask around on Double chan pol
>>
>>892563
Double as in 4+4 chan, the spam filter won't allow me to post the real name
>>
Team
>>
itt dawkins trying to stay relevant
>>
>>891742
joy
>>
>>891742
>blt

that sounds really good right now
>>
>>891742
Noit
>>
>>892567
you don't mean ate chan do you?
>>
>>891742
>Joy
What is this supposed to mean?
>>
>>891742
Coach
>>
File: 20160211_114928.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160211_114928.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
A word means what the users of its respective language use it for. There is no such thing as a private language in which some guy decides what a word has to mean.

We use the word meme in reference to a silly repetitive image. So that is the meaning go meme.

The use of the word meme as an element of the pseudoscientific theory of memetics explains only the etymology of the word, but not its current meaning.
>>
>>891742
WEALTH
>>
>>891742
Coach
>>
>>891888
Me too

>Reeeeeee
>>
>>891742
BLT
>>
>>891742
Team.
>>
>>892008
the only right answer
>>
>>891742
Wealth
>>
File: wii meme mahcine.png (6 KB, 900x49) Image search: [Google]
wii meme mahcine.png
6 KB, 900x49
>Only the subjects with autism—who lack the degree of inferential capacity normally associated with aspects of theory of mind—came close to functioning as "meme machines".[41]

kekk'd my ass off tbqh senpai
>>
File: Tay gone wrong.jpg (497 KB, 1255x1614) Image search: [Google]
Tay gone wrong.jpg
497 KB, 1255x1614
>>891742

The problem with memes is that it was coined by Richard Dawkins both independently and irrelevantly. Meanwhile, the actual information is effectively lost because it's too politically incorrect to operationalize. The common misconception is that Memes are supposed to frighten masses, when in reality the reverse is true. The masses evolve over time until the programming wears off.

Only the Communists truly understood how to engage in 'Memetics,' precisely because they realized the economic factor couldn't be ignored. That's why Marx was so effective. He operationalized Hegel.

It's like Atomic Warfare; yes it works but yet it's useless. And I doubt a man alive today would have the stomach to hear its real nature.
>>
>>891742
>Tea
I SAY, JOLLY GOOD
>>
>>891742
YOU
I think I'm addicted to (you)s
>>
>>891742
>Wealth
i wish i had it
>>
>>896410
Where is this from?
>>
>>891742
A meme is a single unit of culture.

And for the eye test the first word I saw was MONKEY. Somehow I got that from the lower left MJOYEH. It's fun being slightly dyslexic and having a "creative" brain that just fords through such stuff to make up words from the apparent jumble. "Enough letters, vowels in the right order, consonants are off...fuck it, that clearly says monkey." Thanks, brain.

Interesting how few words you can make on that chart if you move up it (i.e. the first letter is is on a lower row than the rest). I found seven:
hold
old
jest
as
yen
ax
id

And really, two letter words shouldn't count.
>>
File: 1459085807782.png (387 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1459085807782.png
387 KB, 750x750
>>891742
>YOU
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.