[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some examples where the native people were better off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Victorian British India.jpg (194 KB, 720x534) Image search: [Google]
Victorian British India.jpg
194 KB, 720x534
What are some examples where the native people were better off as a colony than an independent nation?
>>
Rhodesia, aka Zimbabwe, case in point they're asking for western agriculturalists to run the farms they forced white people off.

South Africa, you know, apartheid, crime rates, etc.

Australia... Who just need to realise that the aboriginal people and not the aboriginal culture are what's worth saving.

Canadian native Americans, Brits tried to help them and ensured the settlers didn't harrass them (the Americans did not or did so a lot less)

Otherwise, history is rife with examples where subjugated people are treated like shit. Some of it is played up simply because of the racism the subjugated people had for their oppressors, but most of it isn't and even the Brits caused a famine of two (thinking about Ireland here). The British (and their derived culture, aka "westerners") are a people/culture that actively seeks to improve conditions for all humans, which is kind of rare in history where most cultures and nations are self-serving.

BTW, the whole tolerance thing and leftism and caring for what we called "underprivileged"? British culture was already moving that way by the 18th century, naturally the commonwealth was one of the first authorities to outlaw slavery.
>>
India
>>
>>89513
Now you're just trying to spark some memes, lad.
>>
>>89513
sshhh
>>
>>89460

there's a lot of dissonance between actual british values of compassion and charity etc and how their elite acted towards those in the colonies
>>
>>89103

Finland.
>>
>>89103
Any British colony except Singapore. Probably any African colony except maybe the Congo.
>>
Ruthenia, and I'm talking about Polish colonization.
>>
>>89103
South Africa.

Even the majority of blacks want Apartheid back.

(technically not a colony)
>>
>>89460
Canadian Native American here.

I disagree, we had it great. The British inevitably slaughtered us and diseased us and sent our children against our consent for 100 years to residential schools which created many of the social issues we have today because we lost our identity.

In reclaiming our identity, language and customs, we must become students of history.
>>
>>89103
Britain
>>
>>89583

>technically not a colony

yeah so why did you post it in this thread?

>i just HAD to be edgy
>>
>le south africa apartheid meme

1. no most black south africans don't want apartheid back

2. they introduced apartheid after becoming independent, and the UK was opposed to it
>>
Norman England

Roman Gaul

Roman Britain

Kievan Rus

Ottoman Balkans

Chinese Tibet

Moorish Spain

Post Columbian Mexico

Ireland under English rule
>>
>>89554
Well, yeah, even today people who have convinced themselves they're elite or upper class are insufferable faggots, its just the nature of elitism.

But to the British compassion and charity are a mark of civilisation and being civilised, they're one of the first to act that way.

>>89513
For better or for worse, India didn't NEED Britain and when they started raising taxes they had a reason to tell them to fuck off. India always had their own civilisation, they were one of the first. Meanwhile, a lot of other native populations went from a Neolithic society to an, albeit impoverished, modern society. That's a pretty noticeable jump.

I don't think people realise, India doesn't want to change. They want to continue living as they have done for thousands of years. This is why India won't change, in a couple thousand years time they'll still have a caste system and they'll look really out of place.
>>
>>89583
No they don't
Source: South African
>>
>>89688
Let me rephrase:
They were more prosperous under Apartheid.
>>
Corea
>>
>>89718
>prosperous
>using incredibly underpaid and mistreated labour to enrich a very small, corrupt minority
All the criticisms of the ANC also apply to the NP.
>>
>>89764
I want to have a /pol/ effeminate racist boer boyfriend desu.
>>
>>89797
>effeminate
you're shit outta luck, I've only ever met huge Afrikaans men
>>
File: kolonial.jpg (599 KB, 1280x1795) Image search: [Google]
kolonial.jpg
599 KB, 1280x1795
>>89103

pretty much all of French governed Africa with the exception of Algeria during the independance war
>>
File: Ottermode.jpg (159 KB, 500x740) Image search: [Google]
Ottermode.jpg
159 KB, 500x740
>>89811
Dutch would be fine too.
>>
>>89565
Ass mad Red detected.
>>
>>89832

in french equitorial africa they killed three quarters of the population through literal slavery, genocide and conscripting them to fight in wars.
>>
>>89866
desu that only happened once
>>
>>89460

Brits didn't give a flying fuck about the natives or their subjects.

They rarely tried to impose any ideology on them, but on the other didn't have a Problem with massacring tribes or starving entire People.

British colonialism was a solely profit-oriented Adventure. That's why it was so succesfull
>>
>>89864
Could be a Swede as well tbch.
>>
>>89864
>>89916

>not being a good little house mongol like you were bred to be for hundreds of years

Finns are forced to learn Swedish for a reason.
>>
>>89949
Don't you have a Somali cock to suck, eh Sebastian?
>>
>>89866

Source pls ? I looked some datas for the Population of some equatorial colonial nations.

All i saw was some slight bumps around the world war for soldiers being drafted. But most of them actually got home after the war or chosed to stay in france
>>
>>89981

Too busy voting SFP to fuck over Finns for do that.
>>
File: Connemara_Girl.jpg (35 KB, 330x437) Image search: [Google]
Connemara_Girl.jpg
35 KB, 330x437
>>89103
In West Papua many native tribes welcomed the dutch because they brought an end to the perpetual tribal war that had been going on for millenia.

Other than that I can't think of any, maybe Rhodesia.

>>89626
>Ireland under English rule
"no"
>>
>>89597
>The reason we act like indecent human beings is because for 100 years someone tried to educate us

Are you making a point for voluntary education or one for your lot for being pathetic?
>>
File: bagchi.fig.1.png (61 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
bagchi.fig.1.png
61 KB, 600x337
<India

Lol
>>
File: meh.ro10262.png (99 KB, 601x694) Image search: [Google]
meh.ro10262.png
99 KB, 601x694
>>89103
North Africa
>>
>>89626
>Norman England

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrying_of_the_North
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.