[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the past the edge of the universe? Nothing? Does it even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: doaflip.jpg (297 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
doaflip.jpg
297 KB, 800x600
What is the past the edge of the universe? Nothing? Does it even exist?
For the sake of debate this isn't referring to the "observable universe"
>>
We have no way of knowing until we either figure out how to observe it or come up with a unified field theory.

Sorry for the boring answer.
>>
>>890312

Here's a really abstracted explanation, about exactly this question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwwIFcdUFrE
>>
>>890342
I actually just watched this before posting.
I didn't like the first half of the video where the guy said "we can't find out because our telescopes/ ships are too slow and the universe expands with time."
The part about the universe being a hypersphere was interesting but I really want to believe that universe has an end.
>>
>>890312
>What is the past the edge of the universe?
your mom's cavity
>>
Considering the universe is what exists, there aint no edge. Because there's no "outside of the universe".
>>
>>890381
So, are you saying it is infinite in size?
>>
The universe is a snow globe on God's table.
>>
>>890404
Not him, but yes, it's infinite.
>>
>>890312

There is no edge if you wall on sphere.

There is nowhere further north than the north pole.
>>
>>890924

walk*
>>
>>890312
There is no "edge of the universe." It expands faster than we will ever be able to perceive and will keep expanding.
>>
File: 1446400321928.jpg (298 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
1446400321928.jpg
298 KB, 500x447
>>890312
I will most likely get criticism for this, I think the Universe expands based on what you observe. Obviously I don't believe this 100% but I do think it's an option. If I were to give an example I would say like how worlds in Minecraft expand based on what you observe and the world is uncharted till you actually observe it.
>>
>>890939
Bad example but I lack a better one
>>
File: 1354535629445.jpg (176 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1354535629445.jpg
176 KB, 720x540
>>890404
It's possible for it to not be infinite but still not have an end.

Think of it this way:

If an ant was walking along the surface of a ball, it could walk on infinitely and never find an edge or end of the ball, no matter how long it walks or what direction it goes. Yet the surface of the ball doesn't have an infinite area. It's possible that the universe works similarly- just as the ball doesn't have any end in two dimensions, our universe wouldn't have any end in three.
>>
>>890960
/thread
>>
>>890960

Well yeah, but what if you jump directly up?

like in a rocket or something.
>>
What is above the universe?
>>
>>890312
We are past the edge of the universe from the perspective of someone inside a black hole.
>>
There is no "edge" because it expands unto itself

Imagine shaving cream, while you can fit all of the shaving cream into the can when you release it the cream takes up more space then it did inside the can. The expansion of the universe is something like that. There is a kind of "pressure" that keeps all the spacy stuff from becoming "disintegrated" so it doesn't really expand into nothingness.
>>
edgy
>>
>>890989
That would involve moving through a higher spacial dimension, somehow.
>>
>>890312
If you reach the edge of the universe everything in existence will be behind you. There would be no matter or even any space in front of you. Our ability to comprehend such absence is lacking, so it would probably just seem like blackness.

If you walk past the edge of the universe you become the edge of the universe. You become the terminal point, so to say. If you cross that threshold then you will be the only thing that exists effectively, you can turn around and try to look back at the universe, but again you'll only see nothing because nothing will have reached you yet.

Of course, that's assuming that there isn't something other that is outside of what we can see. However as it stands the edge of the universe is basically just the farthest a particle has traveled in any given direction.

It's the stock awnser, sorry it's boring.
>>
>>891080
But you can cleary distinct from the space outside of the particle horizon (just light/cosmic radiation/ 1 degree above absolute zero) and actual absolute zero, where if we froze time right now, wpuld be the edge of the current universe.
>>
>>891370
First, the laws of thermodynamics don't let you actually reach absolute zero, only get incredibly close.

Secondly, there wouldn't be any temperature. No space itself, no time, no matter or energy.
>>
>>890312
Why don't you go there and find out.
>>
>>890939
I bet you also think your pc stops existing when you stand up to go open the fridge
>>
>>891374
Yeah in our universe. Outside the universe, where there is no light, there is no motion, and there wont be until light touches that area of space.

Now that space does occupy relative area. As an asspull number, 30 bazillion miles away from us right now there is a stretch of 100 meters where there is absolute zero.
>>
>>890312
This is a /sci/ question, take it there.
>>
>>891399
There IS NO outside of the universe. The universe isn't expanding into anything, no matter how far you go you'll only find more universe, and none of it will be absolute zero.
>>
>>891410
You prob know more about this, but why is everything descending from us then? Why havnt more big bangs disrupted that.
>>
>>891424
The universe is expanding at a faster and faster rate, but it's not just expanding from us, everything is expanding away from everything else. Except for the local scale of closeby galaxies, everything is moving away from everything else at a faster and faster rate as time goes on. So not only is is expanding, but the rate of expansion is increasing.

We don't know what conditions brought about the big bang, or if another one will ever happen again.
>>
>>891383
That's not what I said I said it exists when you observe it but it doesn't go away
>>
>>891433
Put in simpler words: the distance between every point in space is increasing in time at the same ratio.
>>
>>891433
But everything follows the path of least resistance and thats away on average, that implies that there is an atomic horizon doesnt it?

What am I missing? The universe can't be stars and galaxies 80 bazillion miles away and also be expanding based on the big bang.
>>
>>891475
>But everything follows the path of least resistance and thats away on average, that implies that there is an atomic horizon doesnt it?
What?

>The universe can't be stars and galaxies 80 bazillion miles away and also be expanding based on the big bang.
Why not?
>>
>>891604
Matter in general is expanding ourwards at a pace. Its descending.

Shits flows into the path of least resistance, so whatever this stuff is expanding into isnt of equal energy. If stars and galaxies were what was 80 bazzilion miles away, wed see more multidirectional movement than outwards movement.
>>
>>891630
Matter isn't expanding, the very fabric of spacetime itself is expanding. All distances are getting longer and longer in the big scale of things. The universe is expanding, but it isn't expanding into anything, at least not in 3D space.
>>
it's easier to think space in terms of density
as time does on it becomes less dense hence seemingly expanding
>>
>>891644
Thats what i am saying. Matter stays the same, but occupies more territory as it spreads out and invades space that was previously occupied by absolute zero conditions.
>>
Doesnt galaxies "move" downwards? Like if u put the universe on a paper, and big bang was the middle, isnt the stars/galaxies moving downward?
>>
>>890989
The universe isn't round in 3 dimensional terms. It's really hard for us to comprehend but essentially the universe itself is in 4 dimensions, so no matter what 3 dimensional direction we go in we'll arrive at the same point.
>>
>>891660
Matter itself isn't invading space. There isn't an expanse of empty space outside of the universe for matter to move into, there is no space itself, no time, and no "outside"
>>
>>890368
>I really want to believe that universe has an end.
There's your problem, you're too biased for your own good.
Even when looking at an "answer" you cast it aside because you're too biased and what it your way.
>>
>>890312
>Does it even exist?

Our current observations would suggest "no." The universe is a blanket term for the plane of existence we find ourselves in. Any "edge" would be inconceivable to a human being's mind.
>>
>>891663
they move in all 3 dimensional directions, in the 4th dimension they are still confined to space time until they reach a gravity level high enough to rip space time, then it gets pretty crazy.
>>
File: 1458991353241.jpg (133 KB, 647x600) Image search: [Google]
1458991353241.jpg
133 KB, 647x600
>>890312
There is other anon, wondering what is past of the edge universe.
>>
here me out

the universe is a sphere so when you reach the edge you just return to were u have started

this is the proven truth
>>
>>892068
its one of the many, many theories on its geometric shape.
>>
>>892081
really?

i was just trying to shitpost, not be accurate. oh well.
>>
>>890312
You are thinking in terms of miles, feet, inches
The Universe is measured best not in terms of size but of time
As the galaxies move the Universe expands and contracts as needed
It is ass large or as small as it needs to be to contain all that there is
>>
considering the center of the universe could be any point within it, technically there would be no edge
>>
Id assume more Space but 100% empty
>>
>>890960
I think this guy is more accurate >>890939

The universe is dependent on your own perception. It is finite insofar as where the limits of your own perception makes it so.
>>
>>893602
Do you also have your mind blown every time you play peekaboo?
>>
>>893608
Well I do like horror games.

A person with a limitless imagination would not be living in a finite universe. So ultimately the universe is infinite.
>>
>>893615
Your brain is ultimately limited, no matter how large that limit is. You can't think of anything that you can't inherently think of for the same reason a man born blind can't describe what colors look like.
>>
>>893621
Sure. But we can imagine a glimpse of infinity (some can at least). That makes its capacity for imagination pretty fucking vast. As far as we are capable of imagining, the universe might as well be infinite.
>>
File: tree_frog_slide1.jpg (289 KB, 1100x732) Image search: [Google]
tree_frog_slide1.jpg
289 KB, 1100x732
>>890312

This is why I see humans as treefrogs.

Hypersphere is stupid. And can be measure by the distance from the point you started back to that same point.

Infinity would mean that night sky would be solid white from all the stars light that has been around since, you guessed it, infinity.

Short answer. We are Treefrogs and can't know the answer at this time.
>>
>>893643
>But we can imagine a glimpse of infinity (some can at least).
A glimpse of what your brain thinks is infinity.
>>
>>890312
>nothing
if you believe the universe started from a single point, yes
>does it even exist
not if you believe in creationism
I'd say nothing, but it's kind of strange to think about the total absence of everything
>>
>>893647
And? If I am only capable of what my brain can do, then whatever else is irrelevant here. It's infinite if I can perceive infinity.
>>
>>893671
You are not perceiving true infinity, you're simply viewing what your brain thinks is infinity.
>>
>>893675
The truth is not separate from my brain. Perspectivism 101, lad.
>>
File: 1396109678750.jpg (64 KB, 441x705) Image search: [Google]
1396109678750.jpg
64 KB, 441x705
>>893688
>The truth is not separate from my brain.
>>
>>893691
No really, you might want to learn what perspectivism means. It poops all over your notion of an objective truth or reality.

If YOU can see where my perspective is limited, guess what? That's part of your perspective, then; yours is vaster than mine. Everything is infinitely within a perspective of some kind, never ever separated from one.

Except right now, you are trying to tell me that I do not perceive infinity, thus the universe is finite. So I would say that yours is the limited one.
>>
>What is the past the edge of the universe? Nothing? Does it even exist?
There are several possibilities:
A) Literal nothing
B) There is no edge
C) The same fields as in our universe, only completely unexcited
D) Other universes (take your pick as to how they exist)
>>
File: 22_101012stoner_04.jpg (81 KB, 500x714) Image search: [Google]
22_101012stoner_04.jpg
81 KB, 500x714
>>890312
Maybe what works in our universe doesn't work beyond it. Maybe there's a universe that doesn't require light to be a part of it?
>>
>>893703
>It poops all over your notion of an objective truth or reality.
"because I say so" isn't a valid source.
>>
>>893709
I know. That's why I'm telling you to go learn more rather than just listen to me, genius.
>>
>>893703
I understand what you're getting at. If you believe you perceive "infinity", then you do. If someone says it's inconceivable to you, then, from their view, then their view on "infinity" is larger or smaller than yours. just depends on what "incocievable" means to them. I know I'm just parroting what you said but I'd like the other anon to understand
>>
>>890960
If it's not infinite then it has an "end" in the different sense of the word I think is being used here.
>>
>>891730
But there is something, even if it is nothing.

Even if it is non-existent. The fact we can conceive of it means there is something past the edge of the universe.
>>
>>893829
It would have an end in a higher dimension we can't perceive.

>>893836
No space, no time, no matter, no energy, whether you call it nothing or not doesn't matter.
>>
>>890312
CLOSE TO THE EDGE
DOWN BY THE RIVER
>>
>>890939
Wouldn't that undermine my perception? I am but a part of your perception. Sounds solipsist if anything.
>>
>>890312
According to some versions of M-Theory, there is a multiverse which might actually be part of the/an omniverse, and who knows what's beyond that.
>>
File: Man-in-a-Hamster-Wheel--64667.jpg (119 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Man-in-a-Hamster-Wheel--64667.jpg
119 KB, 800x600
>>890939
besides that the universe is observed to be expanding it has also been observed that it expands with an increasing speed. out of your logic it would follow that is just humans discovering uncharted parts faster and faster, but thinking its not them, but the universe?
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.