[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Persian empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: cock.jpg (16 KB, 264x191) Image search: [Google]
cock.jpg
16 KB, 264x191
The recent HH peaked my interest. Any information or discussion would be appreciated
>>
Are they underrated?
>>
What's life like in Egypt and Bactria under the Achaemenid Persia?
>>
>>890066
The recent what?
>>
>>890066
What is this a map for ants?

>>890101
Apparently life in Egypt was shit enough that when Alexander came around they mostly opened the gates for him to come and throw off the Persian yoke.

>>891194
Hardcore History podcast
>>
>>890066
> peaked
>>
>>891388
>Apparently life in Egypt was shit enough
No it wasn't. It was just that Egypt got into revolts and uprisings every few decades. Egyptians were among the most popular and prestigious members in the Persian royal court,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artaxerxes_III#Second_Egyptian_Campaign
>>
>>891552
So it was treated so well it was in constant revolt
>>
>>891607
>constant revolt
I don't think there were very many revolts. The reason it was in such a shitty state by the time Alexander rolled around was only a few decades earlier Atarxerxes put down two uprisings there pretty brutally afterwards.

That's it.
>>
>>891607
>Cambyses II conquerors Egypt
>stable
>Cambyses II dies
>Egypt declares independence
>next a new Pharoah declares himself
>Darius secures the throne and re-conquerors Egypt and gets named Pharaoh for also rebuilding and constructing many new temples to their gods
>Egypt is pacified
>Egypt revolts alongside Babylon when Darius the Great's death is announced
>Xerxes crushes these revolts; provinces are pacified again
>20-30 years later a new upstart declares himself Pharaoh with the Athenian/Delian League backing
>Atarxerxes I crushes this in a reversal which causes the subsequent decline and fall of the Athenian hegemony in Greece as well as regaining Ionia from the Greeks
>No mention in either Persian or Greek accounts of any Egyptian uprisings until the reign of Atarxerxes II which allows it gain brief indepdence
>Atarxerxes II crushes this a few years later in 343 BC; only a decade before Alexander's invasion of the Persian Empire
>Atarxerxes II was said to be so angry that he wiped out many towns and temples in rage
Probably reason why Greeks described Persian Egypt as being in revolt by the time of Alexander.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.