[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Haven't seen this on /his/ yet. What did different people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: food.jpg (104 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
food.jpg
104 KB, 500x347
Haven't seen this on /his/ yet. What did different people eat throughout history? What did the Egyptians eat and the Pharaohs? What did the Greeks, Alexander and Leonidas eat? What did the Persians eat? What was a common meal for Roman plebs? The Ceasars must have had delicious food. What about vikings or mongols? Or a common colonial British colonizer?
How do you think their diet affected their success? Why are we Americans the fattest fucks ever?
>>
>>889118
China and Rome pretty much invented fastfood for merchants on the go.

Well, not exactly fastfood, but Bistro style eateries that just shat out food for sale and ready to eat.

Also fastfood pretty much popularized and solidified Chopsticks as THE Chinese utensil par excellence (fun fact: they had spoons and forks too). Because Chopsticks enabled you to eat anywhere. You don't need a table. You can eat on the deck of your ship, on your cart, or if you're a porter, on foot. It's versatile.
>>
the Romans put a kind of fish sauce called garum(i think?) on loads of their food, there is even a hill somewhere in Italy where grass has grown over an ancient Roman landfill composed of old garum amorphae

>>889118
>Why are we Americans the fattest fucks ever?
food and fuel are extremely cheap in the usa, add to that the fact that many people lead sedentary lives at work and home
>>
>>889118
There is some ancient Egyptian cookbook in my collection. Haven't read it in a while, but i remember one of the things they ate was a lotus bread.

I also have a couple of books on the Sumerian diet and they basically smothered everything in onion and mint.

Read about the daily lives of aztecs, the nobles knew how to throw feasts. Some of the memorable dishes i remember are turkey egg tamales, a "cheese" made from flies, posole but with human meat, and amaranth/blood mix snacks.

I imagine Persians ate a lot of the same foods that are still eaten today in Iran.

It's late here, but this topic used to interest me a ton. I've cooked ancient recipes from around the world, Most cultures you choose will have at least one book dedicated to their cuisine. Pick and read up.
>>
For 90% of people in Western mediaeval Europe was bread and weak beer supplemented by a variety of vegetables. Bread wasn't that unhealthy though as it was made with wheat, rye and oats. Meat consumption was rare unless you were rich/a poacher/it was a feast day (of which there were many)

Lots of spices we have today were non existent whilst at the same time they utilised herbs and spices which are unknown today. Salt and pepper were highly prized luxuries.
>>
Meat is luxurious food in both Western and Eastern, normal person only ate bread as daily food.
>>
>>889118
It always surpised me to learn that some of the spices and herbs that where used back then to season food are not availalble anymore because they overfarmed the plants and made them go extinct. Totall dickhats, I will never know how ancient roman food realy tasted like..baw.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silphium

On the other hand I realy like the diversity in ancient food. Sure stuff was way more regonal than now but oh boy they tried everything that you can eat. Starting with more breeds of crops and vegetables than any ordonary guy can buy now without spending a shitton of mony. Fucking monocultures..
>>
So what books would you people recommend on historical foodstuff?
It's always been a topic that has interested me
>>
>>890684
I'm >>890242
Just go to amazon search something like Ancient (culture) food, then follow the related links there are hundreds of such books. The more well documented the culture(i.e. Romans) the more likely you'll find actual recipes or books dedicated to them.

I remember i found a few searching on bookzz
>>
>>891802
thanks
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.