[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about Pike warfare, /his/ What were the tactics like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
Tell me about Pike warfare, /his/
What were the tactics like?
How was cavalry used?
How were pike formations like the Tercio countered?
>>
Imagine a whole bunch of pikemen standing in a square, not really doing anything. Maybe marching forward a bit to scare the enemy pikemen, but rarely if ever actually engaging in a melee. Some musketmen stand in the middle of the square, shooting potshots at the enemy.
Meanwhile, the cavalry does all the actual fighting.
Once the enemy cavalry is gone and scattered, the enemy infantry get a few good charges from the heavy cavalry before their morale breaks and they scatter off.
This is where the light cavalry comes in and commits a minor massacre on the fleeing troops.
The end.

16th century warfare was surprisingly simple, actually.
>>
File: 1444507373467.jpg (857 KB, 2403x1074) Image search: [Google]
1444507373467.jpg
857 KB, 2403x1074
>>888333
>What were the tactics like?

Lots of dudes standing in squares, the squares being in a chequered formation to overlap their fields of fire, with pikemen in the middle and musketeers around the outside/on the flanks, ready to hide inside the pikes if enemy cavalry show up. Cavalry running around, fighting eachother in melees and using caracole tactics (ride right up to the infantry, shoot their pistols and ride away to reload) to fuck with pikemen while musketeers hide. Sometimes straight up charging pikes if they're retarded.

>How was cavalry used?

To fight eachother or sometimes as caracoles, or, later on, as dragoons as well. But mostly to fight eachother.

>How were pike formations like the Tercio countered?

By deploying musketeers in long thin formations that maximised the wight of volleys while keeping them mobile by dividing the line into regiments that could maneuver on their own, sometimes with pikes to back them up, sometimes not. The Dutch and Swedes did this first.
>>
>>888420
Wrong.
>>
>>888333
Nice double trips
Take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcMCVHJkSPA
>>
>>888642
Thanks, and that's a great film
>>
>>888486
>Russians ruled by volunteers and destined to die in the snow
KEK
>>
>>888642
>>888333
My bad, this one is complete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMEnBHef96c
>>
>>888333
Nice dubtrips
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.