[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rome's cultural legacy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (13 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13 KB, 284x177
I've been studying Rome for a few weeks now after doing close reading of ancient Greeks.

What exactly did Rome contribute to the world that was distinctly Roman? Much of Roman culture seems to be Greek handmedowns and generally less significant. Is there anything that Rome did better that copied from the Greeks? Or were the Romans less concerned with the work of great thinkers?
>>
File: RomanEmpire3.jpg (64 KB, 542x313) Image search: [Google]
RomanEmpire3.jpg
64 KB, 542x313
>>1088442
As much as retards say that the Caliphate regurgitated Greek and Persian culture, Rome was 100x worse, literally copying everything.

>But muh imperium
>>
>>1088442
>>Romanitas
Barrow cites the implacable Roman spirit as their most fundamental achievement. I also recall reading of an example where a general, whilst besieging a salty Carthaginian city, decided to build a bigdick ramp up the mountain slopes and the walls, rather than starve them up. Scared them shitless so they surrendered. Not sure if that counts as a contribution though.

Cool shit like central heating? They tolerated jews, too. Sometimes. They liked them more than christfags, which in light of the centuries is rare.
>>
>>1088442
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foi342LXQE
>>
>>1088495
I believe you're thinking of Masada, which was a mountain fortress filled with Jews where the Romans constructed a giant ramp.
>>
>>1088519
Yeah that's the one. Looking it up on Wikipedia, I don't recall there being mention of mass suicide. Intense shit.
>>
>>1088442
Law.
>>
Where's all dem Romaboos at?
>>
>>1088442
they more or less codified the concept of judicial precedent. many of the systems of taxation. separation of civil and military authorities in the provinces was a pretty solid development in governance. their advances in siege warfare and the professionalization of the armed forces for the state (e.g. not mercs) were both big innovations. i'm kinda baked, so not exactly getting my best thoughts here...
>>
I remember there is a famous quote of warfare being romes greatest gift to civilization.
>>
>>1088577
universal citizenship

the Roman system of slavery officially ended in (537 CE) upon the new laws of Justinian (Codex Iustiniani)

>>1088577
right here nerd. fuck the greeks fake democracy, rome just ended degenerate greek style slavery and extended citizenship with legal rights.
>>
>>1088442
Ambition that bordered near insanity is what most defined the Roman, it was the cause of their empire and the instability of rule was a big factor in its downfall
>>
>>1089243
>universal citizenship

Probably only that.
>>
File: 1462421101796.jpg (97 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1462421101796.jpg
97 KB, 640x360
>>1088515
>Those comments
>>
File: pantheon.jpg (323 KB, 1200x802) Image search: [Google]
pantheon.jpg
323 KB, 1200x802
>>1088442
Romans were much more technologically advanced it seems
Being an architect i can actually say that Romans were rather advenced ont hat regard
for example, invention of "roman concrete" and the use of arches and domens, the city planning, "forums"
Romans did those thigns great
water systems are also pretty dope(tho i am not sure, maybe greeks had them too but not in the scale of romans)
I think it is unfair to say Rome was just copy of Ancient Greece
Roman art was pretty much the same as Greek art but other than that they come up with ton of stuff
honestly, Roman archtecture was pretty dope and unique and technologically very advanced for its time
Romans also had gladiator arenas and shit
pic related is pantheon
>>
File: Roman Degenerates.jpg (3 MB, 1248x5557) Image search: [Google]
Roman Degenerates.jpg
3 MB, 1248x5557
>>1089243
>rome just ended degenerate greek style slavery and extended citizenship with legal rights

>degenerate

>Implying Romans weren't degenerate themselves
>>
>>1088442
Law
Administration
Military tactics and equipments
Inferstructure
>>
>>1088442
Law. First and foremost.
Only Anglo-Saxon common law is different in European world, everything else comes from Roman law.
Basis we think about right, government, republics, empires is Roman. Notice how many Law and International Relations principles have Roman names.

Then:
- Administration
- Military tactics
- Urban and military engineering
- Infrastructure that lasted for many centuries. Dark Ages still used Roman roads and bridges.

- Pax Romana, an ideal of a common space unified by common law and government, that allows for large scale commerce to flourish, therefore leading to wealth and high culture. Notice when Anglo-Norse raiders in the North and Arab-Berber in the South weren't eradicated by Rome because of said Rome crashing hard in the West and barely holding in the East, all of Europe went to shit quickly.

Pax Romana is still the European ideal.
>>
>>1090226
>Only Anglo-Saxon common law is different in European world, everything else comes from Roman law.
>what are islamic and communist laws
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.