[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the Ten Thousand even manage their journey? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Persian_Empire,_490_BC.png (159 KB, 946x682) Image search: [Google]
Persian_Empire,_490_BC.png
159 KB, 946x682
How did the Ten Thousand even manage their journey? I'm no greekaboo but it seems like something out of a movie.
>>
>>1084742
Persians could not counter Greek infantry.

All of 3? victories before this point. The 10,000 wrecked Persian shit all the way home.
>>
>>1084742
Not much reason for the Persians to fight them. They weren't an invading, conquering force; they were just trying to get home.

Granted, shit happened. Betrayals, assassinations, raids... But that's more or less par for the course of ancient history. 10,000 is actually a lot of people. 10,000 heavily armed, experienced, skilled soldiers moving through the countryside isn't anything to sneeze at.

I think once the Persians realized they weren't much of a threat anymore, they didn't persist. It's not worth sending tens of thousands of your own men to fight and possibly die just to kill people who aren't giving you much trouble anyway.

Then all they had to contend with were some militarily unsophisticated tribal peoples.
>>
>>1084763

>>>/pol/
>>
>>1084817

This

If I recall the Persian Royal Army didn't even bother with them and the Greeks fought primarily tribes and the forces of the satraps who's territories they raided as they traveled towards the coast in order to acquire the pay that was promised to them by Cyrus.
>>
>>1084763
You mean that Persian infantry couldn't counter Greek infantry head on directly. Besides the Greek mercenaries were coopted into a bunch of shit and the battles they did have tended to wear them down.

Also by the time they got back home they were done to almost half their numbers from the battles they fought in Persian territory.

>>1084869
There also some shit with a Thracian prince who ended up fucking them over and one of their main commanders ditched them and stole a bunch of provisions and supplies for themselves.
>>
>ITT: people who haven't read Anabasis

Uncultured swine
>>
>>1085158
>le only 1 Greek ever got wounded meme
Totally legit.
>>
>>1085163
Read the book you fucking fag it mentions casualties by name. Cretin
>>
>>1085170
>le only 1 Greek ever got wounded meme
>plus Xenophon claims 10 gorillion Persians fought in all their wars for their empire
Totally legit.
>>
File: 1455337289883.jpg (63 KB, 611x715) Image search: [Google]
1455337289883.jpg
63 KB, 611x715
>>1085170
>According to the Greek soldier and writer Xenophon, the Greek heavy troops scattered their opposition twice; only one Greek was even wounded.
>>
Why do I even bother?
>>
>>1085180
>>1085163
>>1085177
Its not entirely impossible, curb stompings like that have actually occurred
>>
>>1085215
Its completely bullshit m8. Its 2016, no one should be buying this exaggerated shit.
>>
>>1085222
I'm not saying its true, and xenophon clearly exaggerates things, im just saying its not impossible
>>
>>1085222
>>1085240
It's likely that quite a few died of diseases and dysentery too.
>>
>>1085215
We know the Greeks were forced from the field and they sent and entertained delegations with Atarxerxes I, so a Greek curbstomping was unlikely and probably embellished.
>>
>>1085181
Agreed. Why are you here?
>>
>>1085247
That was my thought too. Seems like an army of 10000 would at least suffer some casualties due to stuff like marching injuries, infection and the like, if nothing else.
>>
>>1085248
>Citation needed
>>1085163
>hasn't read Anabasis
>>
>>1086419
>According to the Greek soldier and writer Xenophon, the Greek heavy troops scattered their opposition twice; only one Greek was even wounded.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.