[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Hanseatic League
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
Can anyone give me more information on them?
What exactly were they?
How powerful was their organization?
What was there relationship to the local governments?
Were they involved in any wars?
>>
>>1078076
They were a League
>>
>>1078076
>How powerful was their organization?

Very powerful. They controlled trade in the Baltic and north for a long time.

>Were they involved in any wars?

One or two, but I can't remember which.

They were a brutal lot. To become a merchant of the league you had to go through a violent initiation ritual, like in a street gang.
>>
>What exactly were they?
A trade league with alot of citites.

>How powerful was their organization?
Pretty damn powerful, and they even cucked the Danish king once, making him paying about 90% of Danish lands in mortage.
>What was there relationship to the local governments?
No idea.
>Were they involved in any wars?
Yes, during the 1300s and up until Erik of Pommeren they were involved in some wars with Denmark.

Basically, they had their apex during the 1300's, but in the end they got cucked by the Danes and Swedes.
>>
>>1078221
>>1078186
These guys sound amazingly cool.

When did they die?
>>
>>1078234
I think they never officially dissolved, but as the trade monopoly of the league was broken and southern markets as well as eastern ones opened up, it gradually lost power, which made participation in it less and less attractive for its members.
I think the last meeting of the league was in the 19th century, but only attended by representatives from Lübeck, Hamburg and Bremen.
>>
>fiscal
>baltic
>league
>>
File: hanseatic_league.jpg (214 KB, 1170x638) Image search: [Google]
hanseatic_league.jpg
214 KB, 1170x638
>>1078234
A big part of their success (and really their necessity) was the fact that they came into being when Baltic trade was primarily conducted with smaller, short-ranged vessels that required you to stop at every other port. With a situation like that, you needed good relations with all the regional cities if you wanted to have any success.

Problem was, by the 15th century, the size of ships was increasing, as was the distance they could travel without going to port. Plus, the focus of trade was gradually shifting elsewhere, so the League began a gradual decline.

They didn't get thoroughly fucked until the 30 Years War, however.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.