[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You cannot be /phil/ without being /lit/. >Cogito ergo sum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: MTE1ODA0OTcxMjY3MzYwMjY5.jpg (135 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcxMjY3MzYwMjY5.jpg
135 KB, 1200x1200
You cannot be /phil/ without being /lit/.

>Cogito ergo sum
Nice mem, but have you ever read the Meditationes where he attempts to prove this? No, you are not /lit/, ergo you are not /phil/.

There are too many idiots on /his/ who think that everyone's opinion (and theirs in particular) is equally valid and deserve to be refuted. Then you must also like modern art where a picture of an asshole is considered is just as artful as the Sistine Chapel.

Please get /lit/ before you dump your shitposts about philosophy on /his/.
>>
what about discussing the history of philosophy and philosophers :^)
>>
judging by this post you almost certainly haven't read the Meditations

for one thing, Descartes takes the cogito as being self evidently true in the Meditations
>>
>>88723
Unless you're going to accept the premise that philosophy consists of the history of philosophy, that's a fucking disgusting say to go about discussing philosophy. The way people discuss philosophy on /lit/ (shit like 'Marx BTFO literally EVERYBODY before him so you should read all and only Marxist authors from now on' is posted way too often) is filthy. Tbqh if you think philosophy consists of listing the names of people who disagrees with each other about, you're the reason analytics look down on Continental philosophy, and you're the problem with Hegel's legacy.
>>
>>88787
>Unless you're going to accept the premise that philosophy consists of the history of philosophy, that's a fucking disgusting say to go about discussing philosophy.

I never said that but you act like there isn't legitimate reason to discuss the history of philosophy itself and the history itself around the time of philosophers. trying to actually discuss philosophical concepts would be shitty yeah
>>
>>88874
That isn't my point at all you fucking Mongoloid, my point is that if you can't distinguish between context and concept you're fucking up. Yes, the two shape each other, but philosophy isn't just the pissing match people on 4chan often take it to be.
>>
>>88704
why are you guys so pretentious? I bet you'd say the same thing to philosophers starting out. all you need to do in philosophy is think and reading other philosophers except to argue with them makes you stuck in one way of thinking and that is the thing that makes you stupid

of course youre too stupid to realize that
>>
>>89818
nobody will fall for this
>>
>>88704
>just as artful as the Sistine Chapel.
>just as artful

Now listen up /phil/ collins.

It is, attempting to quantify what is or isn't art based on subjective tastes is fucking dumb as shit.

Art isn't a qualitative term, because something is art doesn't mean that is "good". Let me type that shit again. Art is not a word that should be used to describe the quality of something.
Art is something that causes someone to have an emotion, this is the only stipulative definition that anyone with even a remote philosophical interest should use. Because if you don't we need to set up strict definitions for what is or isn't art, which would render a whole fuckton of art "not art" in it's day and for what fucking purpose, really? So you can feel better about yourself for enjoying "fine" art?

It is not up to me to decide, because I personally dislike something that it isn't art. I fucking hate dancing, doesn't mean it isn't an artform. I would have to be clinically retarded to claim such a thing.

I do agree that not all opinions are equal though. An opinion can be based more or less on facts and evidence.
>>
>>89924
Also,
Saying that art you dislike isn't art is the same thing as saying that misinformed opinions aren't actually opinions. It is fucking dumb.
>>
>>88704
I hope you don't mean literally /lit/, because everyone knows that board is a shithole echo chamber.
>>
File: 1381493767512.gif (855 KB, 300x379) Image search: [Google]
1381493767512.gif
855 KB, 300x379
>>88704
>have you ever read the Meditationes where he attempts to prove this?
Yes. They're fine until he ends in a solipsistic dead end and literally appeals to God's existence and overwhelming goodness to justify the validity of his perception.

And /lit/ is shit.
>>
>>89974
Hahaha, oh wow. >>>/pol/
>>
File: hume.jpg (175 KB, 861x1024) Image search: [Google]
hume.jpg
175 KB, 861x1024
>Descartes

Is Hume gonna have to slap a bitch?
>>
>>90110
How is /pol/ relevant to this conversation? Don't make one echo chamber out to be worse than another.
>>
>>90158
But /pol/ is way, way worse though.
>>
>>90167
>but /pol/ echoes opinions different from mine
Fixed.
Now shut up, they're both shit. And so is everyone trying to force /lit/ vs /pol/ bullshit on /his/.
>>
>>90158
My dear /pol/itician. You of all people should know that people's origins---be they Jews or Negros or /pol/---are always relevant.
>>
>>90167
Not really. Two sides of the same coin. If you ask someone on /pol/ they would say /lit/ is worse in a similar fashion. The biggest reason that /pol/ is probably more infamous is that they are a far, far more popular and populous board on 4chan, one of the biggest.
I take it you are from /lit/ then?
>>
>>90110
I'm from /lit/ and I can confirm that it's an echochamber. The fact that you told someone to go back to /pol/ proves as much.
This board is where the dialectic of /pol/ and /lit/ will play out. You have no cause to tell someone to go back to either board unless they're actually posting off topic.
>>
>>90167
You should actually check out /pol/ before saying things like that. /lit/ is worse, /pol/ at least tolerates Slavoj Zizek.
>>
>>90184
>>90185

Went over, had a look on the front page a swedish man is looking for instructions on how to make a molotov cocktail in order to burn refugees alive. But sure man, it's just difference of opinion so it's fine
>>
>>90310
Indeed, that should be in /diy/.
>>
>>89836
fuck. you guys are so fun to piss off though
>>
>>90310
I bet you don't think there are any terrorists among the refugees.
>>
>>88704
nigga im just here for military history
>>
>>88778
/thread
>>
>have you ever read the Meditationes where he attempts to prove this?

It's first mentioned in the Discourse on the Method, not the Meditations. And if you had read it you'd know he doesn't "attempt to prove it" since it's totally self-evident. It's the one self-evident truth that cannot be doubted, and it's what he uses as a basis to attempt to prove other things.

Now go back to your shitty board, clearly you're sufficiently educated to keep up with such subjects.
>>
>>88704
being /phil/ or /lit/ on 4chan is retarded. you cannot have a civilized conversation here.

the point of these boards is to inflict maximum butthurt in least amount of words.
>>
>>90759
>implying you can't have both
Step it up, senpai
>>
>>90759
>you cannot have a civilized conversation here
:^|
>>
>>89974
>shithole echo chamber
heh
>>
Don't take the bait, chaps. He's talking out of his bottom.
>>
>>90759
literally "hello reddit" the post
>>
>>89924
Dancing is literally not considered an art from faggot
>>
>>91202
Yes it literally is, nigga
>>
>>>/qa/319933
>>>/qa/321050
>>>/qa/319925
>>>/qa/320546
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.