[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was world war 1 the most brutal war?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 1456156111817.gif (1 MB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
1456156111817.gif
1 MB, 245x184
Was world war 1 the most brutal war?
>>
>>886879

Depends on your idea of 'brutal'. Elaboration?
>>
>>886879
The most brutal wars are always civil wars. It's quite fascinating, really.

Though Japs having their way with China was pretty gory too.
>>
>>886893
Not by casualties but just horrible conditions and cruelty
>>
just verdun
>>
>>886898
Why are civil wars more brutal? What ones specifically
>>
>>886901

>horrible conditions and cruelty

By that criteria probably some war in prehistory when conditions were literally worse in every way compared to WW1 and being savages cruelty certainly wouldnt be lacking either.
>>
>>886879

It only tends to be seen that way from a Western perspective. I would rank the Eastern Front (in Europe) in WW2 as more brutal.
>>
>>886918
Hmm. I was just thinking of Trenchfoot, disease, Chemical warfare, widespread use of shotguns, the mud.
>>
>>886910
Look at any ethnic interstate conflict and have fun; Sudanese Civil War is a good example.

Guess people that have known each other for a long time have more potential for violence. The most bloodthirsty people in a normal war are always collaborators too.
>>
>>886879
nothing of value was lost. so not really. a bunch of normies killing each other cause, "MUH COUNTRY NEEDS ME"
>>
Environmentally, I would say it was. While earlier wars often were far more brutal against the civilians, the most important source of food for the armies often being to pillaging the country-side for it, they could hardly deal such a permanent damage against the nature they walked through. Burned crops can grow again, trees can be replanted and so on. All this since they didn't quite have the technology to alter things that much.

During world war 1 they did have it though, as well as the quanties.
As an Example. During the battle of Verdun, what that started as a German plan to bleed the French dry but ended as one of the biggest battles of the war and a German defeat, millions of grenades and other bombs were shot at the enemy by both sides, all this at a relatively small area. The bombs had stuff such as lead, copper and other toxic metals in them, they getting blown all over the land.
Even today Verdun, one of the historically most fertile grounds of France, is pretty much empty of farming due the dangerous metals spread over it. What that the French have fought for over a span of hundreds of years was rendered useless.

I suppose it was also a bit nightmarish for the commandments that they really didn't get a break from battle. It was always the risk to get hit by a sudden artillery strike, get shot by an enemy and a bunch of other things. Not to forget that there was a lot of death corpses rotting away in the no-man lands between the fronts since none dared to remove them and give them a proper rest.
Probably a lot of factors that made it better than other wars for the soldiers.
>>
>>886929

Im sure in prehistoric ages there were plenty of diseases, mud, cold or heat, widespread use of weapons that inflict pain but do not kill instantly like most guns, poisoning wells and rivers and so on.
>>
>>886945

I don't think the socially maladjusted were spared from being drafted.
>>
>>886956
Yeah you're probably right. WW1 just looks like a horror movie
>>
>>886949
Thanks
>>
>>886949
>I suppose it was also a bit nightmarish for the commandments that they really didn't get a break from battle. It was always the risk to get hit by a sudden artillery strike, get shot by an enemy and a bunch of other things.

The soldiers were in constant rotation. You weren't in the trenches all the time.
>>
File: something_I_Stole_from_the_bbc.png (17 KB, 1008x567) Image search: [Google]
something_I_Stole_from_the_bbc.png
17 KB, 1008x567
>>887047
Yeah, true.
The average time spent in the vicinity of battle should be far higher than for those in other wars though, or?
>>
File: 1458187243418.jpg (49 KB, 631x454) Image search: [Google]
1458187243418.jpg
49 KB, 631x454
>>886879
I'll take Iran-Iraq for 300.
>>
>>887325
Is that a hotdog?
>>
>>886910
Hutus and Tutsis nigga
>>
>>887325
Was it really that bad? Comparable to WW1 Western front and WW2 Eastern front?
>>
>>887834
Lower scale does not necessarily mean better conditions.
>>
>>887352

It's actually an Assault Wiener.
>>
>>887834
>human wave attacks
>child soldiers
>chemical weapons
>electrified marshes
it was pretty fucking bad
>>
>>886879
It was a picnic compared to WWII.
>>
>>886910
The Russian Civil War

one of the deadliest wars in human history, all because lenin got butthurt about the provisional government outvoting his shitty radical ideology
>>
File: 1458915284358.jpg (102 KB, 1387x749) Image search: [Google]
1458915284358.jpg
102 KB, 1387x749
>>887325
XD
>>
>>887875
>electrified marshes

Tell me more
>>
Civil wars are the autoimmune disease of wars

Cultural revolutions are the cancer of "wars"
>>
>>887979
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Marshes
>Iraq in response to the attacks ran live electrical cables through the water, electrocuting numerous Iranian troops and then displaying their corpses on state television
>>
Nah. It was, on average, pretty boring. Most wars are.
>>
>>888576
The more I learn of history, the more morbid and absurd it seems than all of the fiction I read as a kid.
>>
>>886949

Google the amount of shells used in Kursk, the amount of shells used before the Normandy landing...

The reason trench warfare ended was advances in armaments + production enabled us to completely destroy trenches. As a whole more armaments were used in WWII by a longside.
>>
>>889044
It wasn't that tanksbecame able to just drive straight over them.
>>
~10% of combatants died or were wounded during it.
During WW2 it was 3,8% I think.

So yeah, pretty damn brutal for modern standards.
>>
File: 30 year war plundering.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1449) Image search: [Google]
30 year war plundering.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1449
The thirty year war in germany seems more horrible.
Many people believed the final judgement had come as society descended into a medieval postapocalyptic slaughterscape which in some regions reduced the population to 60%.
Also it raged on for fucking 30 years.
>>
>>890021
Most nations lost 12-15% of their soldiers except Belgium who lost 'only' 3%. I don't know how many soldiers ended up wounded/crippled/mutilated/traumatized but I figure that's a significant percentage as well.

Fun fact: 2/3rds of the deaths in WW1 were caused by artillery
>>
Yes.
>>
The last Roman-Persian war was pretty fucking brutal. It lasted for decades, made the Middle East an entire battleground and brought both ERE and Sassanid Persia to exhaustion.
>>
WW1 was a bunch of boys playing soldier in the backyard on a warm summer day compared to the eastern front.
>>
>>889044
>Google the amount of shells used in Kursk, the amount of shells used before the Normandy landing...

Didnt find, but I doubt it's over Verdun's 10+ millions shells fired (10 millions by june 1916, battle ended in december)
>>
>>886910
A lot more personal, more emotional, a lot of hatred involved. A man killing another man from another country because the government told him to is a lot different to joining a cause you believe in a killing a man who believes different from the same land as you.
>>
>>890142

Birds getting smashed, cat runs like a bitch, woman about to get shanked with zero fucks given. Only the dog and the baby are holding their own.
>>
>>890142
>the religion of peace
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.