[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That's it. I'm sick of all this "muh longbow"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: crossbowman.jpg (27 KB, 260x473) Image search: [Google]
crossbowman.jpg
27 KB, 260x473
That's it. I'm sick of all this "muh longbow" bullshit that's going around this board right now. Crossbows are much better than longbows. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine crossbow in Italy for 4,500 Euro (that's about £2000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even pierce slabs of solid steel with my crossbow.

European smiths spend days working on a single crossbow and test it up to two dozen times to produce the finest peasant weapon known to mankind.

Crossbows are thrice as easy to train as an English Longbow and thrice as deadly for that matter too. Anything a bodkin arrow can punch through, a crossbow bolt can punch through better, and more accurately too. I'm pretty sure a crossbow could easily pierce the lung of a Gendarme wearing full plate with a simple trigger pull.

Ever wonder why medieval England never managed to conquer medieval France? That's right, they were destroyed by disciplined Crossbowmen of doom and their 16 year old girl saint. Even in the Fifteenth Century, the Vatican banned the use of crossbows against Christians because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Crossbows are simply the best ranged weapon that the world has ever seen.
>>
>>885857
>but longbows look cooler than crossbow
>>
Longbows can be more powerful and require less skill, but those tiny bolts have less range and crossbows can't be fired as quickly

But yeah,
>"we can't make good composite bows because we are shit, so let's make a tonne of really really BIG bows instead using all this yew wood we are improting"!
>win a battle on account of mud
>"LONGBOW IS GREATEST MILITARY TECHNOLOGY ADVANCEMENT IN HUMAN HISTORY"!
>>
>>885872
>i dont know anything about the hundred years war: the movie: the videogame: the post
>>
>>885879
fite me
>>
File: polishsilver1.jpg (28 KB, 700x295) Image search: [Google]
polishsilver1.jpg
28 KB, 700x295
But guns tho
>>
File: Average Milanese citizen.png (107 KB, 191x280) Image search: [Google]
Average Milanese citizen.png
107 KB, 191x280
Fuck off, Milan.
>>
>>885857
>Crossbows are simply the best ranged weapon that the world has ever seen.

You idiot. Did you know they use gunpowder in projectile weaponry nowadays? And these strange "fire-arms" have rates of fire FAR faster than the crossbow and do much more damage.

Also, aren't nuclear missiles ranged weapons? Are you willing to say that a crossbow is a superior weapon to a MIRV?
>>
>>885888
Trebuchets>>>cannons in that game
>>
File: Pol_polish_shooters_info.png (96 KB, 191x280) Image search: [Google]
Pol_polish_shooters_info.png
96 KB, 191x280
>>885888

Meeeahh
>>
File: Ottamon cannon.jpg (156 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Ottamon cannon.jpg
156 KB, 800x600
>>885890
I take it the Ottomans were not playable.
>>
>>885901
Ottomans always get destroyed (literally) by the Mongols in every playthrough. I have never seen a time when the Turks are still extant once the Mongols arrive.
>>
>>885890
Unless you can find a good elevated position for them. Then they can be quite good, especially if the enemy has large blocks of infantry.
Most people seem to think that gunpowder units/cannons in the game are bad, but I usually have no problems, so long as unit sizes are relatively small.
Fuck pikemen tho.
>>
>>885914
You can just mod the the Musketniggers to not do that retarded fire by rank thing actually.
>>
File: 1428382871491.jpg (105 KB, 739x742) Image search: [Google]
1428382871491.jpg
105 KB, 739x742
>>885872
>>885889
>>
>>885911
I thought the Ottomans came around after the Mongols destroyed the world.
>>
>>885857
Er, what are you going to do with your outdated toy when I drop you with a .50 cal round at a mile off?
>>
>>886065
Shoot 50 cal round off the air with crossbow bolt
*teleport behind*
"psst, noting personnel kid"
spend 30s reloading another bolt
kill you
>>
>>885914
Yeah, Basilisk tier cannons can be quite good at whatever they do.
Are any of the gunmen or cannons below Musketeer and Basilisk tier worth the hussle though?
>>
>>885857
and what victories did it win?

economics won the 100 years war not the crossbow.

the main difference between a longbow and a crossbow on the battlefield was rate of fire, a contest the longbow won decisively
>>
>>885914
>usually have no problems, so long as unit sizes are relatively small

These kinds of games just function better at small scales. People are too in love with the idea of enormous battles with thousands of units.
>>
>>885872

t. huttburt frenchie
>>
>>886266
Hand Gunners are pretty good. Half the range of arquebusiers and a third of musketeers but they make up for it with decent defense and melee attack so you don't have to baby them so much.
>>
>>885872
*CROSSBOWS can be more powerful and require less skill
>>
>>886264
We may have different opinions on the results of a meeting between a .50 cal round and a stick.
>>
>>886777
ME Hand Gunners are especially good with 9 morale on top of their good melee stats. Too bad they don't have shields.
>>
>all those people failing to recognize stale pasta
>>
Really, all human weapons are refinements of pointy stick tech.
>>
>>886897
No, we are going to discuss the ways you defend yourself against a man wielding a banana!
>>
>>885857
Lets be honest guys, the longbow and the crossbow are overrated pieces of shit that can only penetrate mail+gambeson at close range. The sling is where its at.
>>
>>886852
The AI may be so fucking retarded at using them though.
It may just be me, but I remember some point at whic Milan began to barely send anything else than HandGunners at me. Good fire and melee, sure, but what are they supposed to do against charging cavalry?
>>
File: i_understood_that_reference.gif (883 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
i_understood_that_reference.gif
883 KB, 500x269
>>886937
>>
>>886897
But guns come from alchemy. No pointy sticks involved.
>>
>>887012
>Stabbing people with bullets.
Pretty stick related that.
>>
>>887012
Didn't the earliest guns literally fire big pointy sticks before they went into the artillery route of shooting big rocks, then miniaturizing that?

Really, all human weapons are refinements of pointy stick, rock, and fire tech.
>>
>>887065
Chlorine gas tho
>>
>>887012
The projectile is the point, the gunpowder is the stick.
>>
>>887107
The hydrogen atoms are the point, the aerosolization is the stick.
>>
>>887037
>>887126
That's more metaphorical innit? You could say a club is a pointy stick with that logic.
>>887065
I thought the earlier guns fired rockets
>>
>>887161
>You could say a club is a pointy stick with that logic.
Yes, yes you could.

All human weapons are pointy sticks.
>>
File: mooseknuckle.jpg (21 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
mooseknuckle.jpg
21 KB, 250x251
>>887166
See this right here? Pointy stick.
>>
>>887166
Which is to say they're all penises
>>
>>885857
Go back to /tg/
>>
I'm gonna have to agree with the OP on this one. Longbows look cool, but there's a reason that they were only used by the Welsh and English.
>>
>>888227
This. The longbow has been katana-like hyped but it's actually shit.
>>
>>886056
They did
>>
>>885901
>>885911
>>886056
>>888273
Maybe it's because it's the seljuks, not the fucking ottomans, that's in the game?
>>
>>887161
Didn't they also make a cannon that fired balilsta like arrows instead of rocks, or cannonballs?
>>
File: Repubblica_di_Genova.png (489 KB, 1575x962) Image search: [Google]
Repubblica_di_Genova.png
489 KB, 1575x962
>>885888
>genoese crossbowmen

>milan

THAT'S ENOUGH
>>
>>885866
Crossbows look cooler though
>>
>using but tier 4 mercenary crossbowmen in floris
>not conquering the entire continent with a single division of 250 men
Literally just get a boat and get them off pirates, you dont even need to pay an entry fee
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.