[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm new to the board and I'm debating if I should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: index.jpg (5 KB, 155x186) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5 KB, 155x186
So I'm new to the board and I'm debating if I should stay or not.

Have you actually learned something through /his/ or do you just come here to show how much you know?

If so, what's the most valuable thing you've learned here? How valuable do you rate the board in general?
>>
Neither. I just come here to have stupid arguments.
>>
>>884826
Learned a little bit about philosophy here, and occasionally someone brings up a subject I read up about so I understand them.

But most of this board is just Catholics and Orthodox arguing with one fundamentalist protestant
>>
Ive gotten some great book recommendations, however I have also run into the most disingenuous and deceitful people on 4chan. However if you stay out of the religious threads and to a lesser extent Rhodesia/ Revanchism ones you should be set.
>>
File: 948382.png (89 KB, 501x399) Image search: [Google]
948382.png
89 KB, 501x399
Honestly, most things directly posted here are at best informative on a minor, However, indirectly, I feel I have learnt a fair bit. I have been forced numerous times through shit-posting and actual discussion, to go back and re-examine what I think I know. Over the time of browsing the board I have I have abandoned previous views I now see as untenable as well, and adopted new positions.

For example, due to massive Stirner meme posting, I actually more carefully looked at Ego and It's Own so I can tell people they are fucking wrong.

The board is less about finding old knowledge, and more about exercising ideas we already have, which fosters depth for our understanding.
>>
File: 200.gif (261 KB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
261 KB, 356x200
There's 4 types of threads on /his/
1. Philosophy: You can't know nothing vs Naive positivist fedora clans throw insults at each other
2. Was x country/tribe/empire white????????
3. Which historical character's dick do you ride?
4. Religion: Papists and Orthodox and Protestants exchange insults. Philiosophy threads minus the philosophy plus the theology and with about the same snobbery

Congrats, I just saved you from browsing here and finding out "high level of discourse" is a myth. Now show yourself out.
>>
>>884836
>The board is less about finding old knowledge, and more about exercising ideas we already have, which fosters depth for our understanding.
This. I mostly just come here to tell people when they completely misunderstand/misrepresent leftist theory in one form or another.
>>
>>884836

Thanks for that answer. It's the first impression I got. You won't learn many things more than superficially from the board itself but an interest can be spiked on a given subject that will make you go out of your way and learn on it and it's also good to revisit what you think you know.

So yes but in moderation?
>>
>>884856
That's fair as I see it.
>>
>>884860

As an example I saw somebody link the wikipedia page of the third punic war and I realized I literally knew more about the punic wars when I was 12 then I do now. So now I wanna go an read about that.

For the board to be useful I now need to act on that thought. I used to browse /lit/ back in the years and that became a problem. You'd get interested in a book that you'd end up never reading because you were wasting your time shitposting on /lit/.
>>
>>884842

You forgot the WE WUZ and le buttblasted frenchman threads
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.