[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Humanities Degrees
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
Which degree gives you the best job opportunities
Which degree gives you more self worth
Which degree is just better

I'm torn between English for easiness and job opportunities (third world country here) and psychology for the interesting research opportunities in third third world environment.
>>
>>882619
None, humanities were the biggest mistake of my life, save yourself while you can!
>>
law
>inb4 not humanities
yes it is, literally the backbone of society
>>
>>882641
>memorize all these rules written by masters of economics, political science, sociology, etc
>if you're lucky one day they might appoint you a judge
>>
>>882684
>the only job you can have with the law is the judge
are you real
>>
>>882720
I said it's the job you get if you're lucky.
Emphesising that your studies and career both rely on other people who studied other things
>>
Bumo
>>
>>882745
you're retarded
>>
>>882619
>humanities
>third world country
Unless you plan on getting into academia in the US or UK then I would advise against it. Most 3rd world countries only value STEM degrees and humanities in those countries are shit and aren't worth it.
>>
Gender studies. Not even joking. Lots of companies are seeking out GS grads to advise on recruitment and other workplace practice's as they come to accept the reality of intersectional oppression
>>
>>882619
nobody is going to ask why he's holding a cup behind that camel?
>>
>>885169
Eternal Anglo here, what makes you say the UK?

Genuine curiosity as normally you only here STEM/ apprenticeships are the way to make money
>>
Don't get a fucking english degree, for the love of all things good.

Get a degree in a stem field or the good humanities (economics, law, political science, business, etcetera).
>>
>>885403
to eat its shit. for medicinal purposes.
>>
Only you can place value on a degree, its your fucking life bro
>>
>>886284
Psychology isn't a good humanity degree?
An English degree means guaranteed employment here btw
>>
>>888773
>An English degree means guaranteed employment here btw
where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>888790
A third world country with very few people who know English
But English is very employable in most countries of the world
>>
>>882619
>Job opportunities
None unless you supplement it somehow and go post-grad
>self worth
Classics
>just better
Classics

Don't do a classics degree though because no one knows what it is
>>
>>888794
not really comparable then.

analogous would be a degree in your own native language.
>>
>>888795
>nobody knows what it is
>self worth
>>
>>888803
>he will never know the feeling you get from reading all of the Aeneid in Latin
>>
>>888802
The curriculum is basically what you'd study in an English country
Comparative literature and that sort of shit. I saw on their feed Hamlet being discussed in a lecture. But you end up working in translation or diplomacy if you graduate from there. And translation is anywhere from a foreign investor to a publishing house.
Also the demand for English teachers who know their shit is fucking high as fuck.
>>
>>888773
Psychology is a good degree if combined with other degrees. For example, a family member of mine has a statistics PhD and a psychology major and as a result he studies trends in data regarding education.
>>
>>888866
Tbh I'm looking for a career in politics
>>888888
>>
Allahu Akbar
>>
>>888875
Take a few psych courses. Law. Political science and foreign relations. Develop your math skills (because mathematical reasoning is important in all fields)
>>
YA ALI
>>
>>888883
Unfortunately our system is "programmes" with you take as a complete package.
I'll have to a complete second degree in those fields or do my masters in them.
>>
What about History?
>>
>>888903
Then go with either law or foreign relations if you're pursuing a political career

Also do not take this as your final decision. Ask around more. I don't study humanities.
>>
>>888866
Thanks to his/her statistics PhD, not because his/her psychology degree
>>
>>888912
My line of thought has always been how to change the world, or at least the world around me.
History is of great interest to me, and I love studying it. But it bares no implications on the present. Even the greatest of historic discoveries won't change how the world functions even a bit today.
>>888920
People get into politics here by studying religion lol
I don't think those help outside of the west
>>
>>888936
Psychology helps him find possible explanations for his data. He works on the ground too
>>
do english and law/relations

start learning more languages
>>
>>882619

just get an engineering degree bro
>>
If you're torn between fields and plan to aim for more than a bachelors then go for anthropology. You can focus on a lot of different fields with interdisciplinary approaches like medical or cognitive anthropology that open career paths that are usually not open to the liberal arts.
It's a very easy degree, however its value heavily depends on where you study and you won't have the same freedom of choice about your field of research everywhere. For example the university of Copenhagen even offers science degrees in anthropology, but focuses heavily on modern economy, compared to more psychology-heavy approaches in the US.

But like I said, only go for it if you're planning on at least getting a masters.
>>
>>882619
My degree is in Religious Studies.
I inherited the family business. I make anywhere from 140K-160K a year. It didn't matter what I got my degree in, I chose what interested me.
>>
I got an editing position at a local language promotion center. They didn't really have any historians working for them so I asked them to publish a book I wrote and they gave me a permanent position basically.

I wouldn't have got it if my dissertation supervisor wasn't pals with them though. It's all about networking
>>
>>888945
>>890466
Anthropology offers bits of everything, psychology, history, politics... In fact some anthropologists go so far as to say they're better at studying history than historians and better at analyzing the human mind than psychologists. But I have no idea if this actually gets reflected by their job opportunities. I doubt it desu.
>>
Humanities are dead
>>
>>886253
In the UK there are good unis with very good humanities departments so if he wants to go into academia or work as a curator at a museum or something the UK would be a good place. History degrees, in my experience at least, are valued in the UK (I also remember seeing a list that said that history majors earn th 10th highest starting salary in the UK or mid-career salary or something).
>>
>>890488
Here's a (you), don't spend it all in one place.
>>
>>882619

>English
>psychology

I'd say they both score shit on job opportunity. So no worries there.

Self worth? Judging from the complete idiots who pick psychology as a means of self help...... I'd say English is better.

Which degree is just better? Hard to say, because by what standards do you judge your degree is better? This is very personal.

If your interested in humanities, I'd say go with a strong humanities subject. Psychology is not a humanities study anyway.

Anyway I would say the "hard tier" humanities are: history, literature, religion, philosophy and law.

None have a really good good prospect on the job market, but that's not something you are looking for when you want to study humanities. Do realize that in a few years you'll have invested a lot of money, time and effort into a degree that will not get you employed.

I studied history myself and I now teach history at a high school. The pay is ok and I get the meme about history everyday, but my buddies who studied something "science" or "engineering" related are making double..
>>
>>882619
In sort of the same vein, should I go History with a concentration in Diplomatic History or International Relations/Poli Sci if I want to work as a diplomat?
>>
I study Human Geography
It's bretty good.
>>
>>890887
What you study for that is not that essential.

Essential is that you have a lot of extra-curricular activities related to international politics and diplomacy. Like internships at united nations etc. Volunteering for a political party.

But to be a successful diplomat you need to be able to prove a strong link to the country you are sent of to. So speaking a language of a certain country that nobody else does can also help a lot.
>>
>>890907
I study a dual in law and international relations, and have come to realise law isn't for me. I do fine with it grades-wise, I just find it a chore. I've been heavily considering doing post-grad in IR, is it worthwhile if I want to apply for a diplomatic/foreign service job? Or is it really only if I intend to go into academia?
>>
>>890928
The more diploma's you get, the better your chances are.

But those kinda dream jobs take a lot of lobbying and networking. You don't get into that world just by getting a certain degree.
>>
>>890932
Yeah I've done a lot of last minute, final year extra-curricular resume padding in terms of getting into the executives of uni clubs and such. I struggle to think of any job these days that doesn't take a shitload of networking.
>>
Just go STEM, OP.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.