[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Christians believed that the world was flat Where did this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 492374982342.jpg (40 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
492374982342.jpg
40 KB, 460x276
>Christians believed that the world was flat
Where did this meme come from?
>>
>>880762
Probably Victorians.
>>
File: Luther, a story.jpg (532 KB, 469x5000) Image search: [Google]
Luther, a story.jpg
532 KB, 469x5000
>>880762
Anti-Catholics
>>
>>880762
contemporaries seeking to praise themselves by painting the previous generations as barbaric idiots
>>
>>880799
>they had to invent horseshit myths to fit the narrative

Interesting, any other myths that you guys know of that came out of this era?
>>
>>880802
People in the middle ages didn't bathe
>>
>>880762
Modernism and then Postmodernism
>>
>>880762
The bible.
>>
File: 1444714295057.jpg (15 KB, 350x392) Image search: [Google]
1444714295057.jpg
15 KB, 350x392
>>880762
>he thinks that there is an earth at all

found the pleb
>>
>>880802
"the Dark Ages exist"
>>
>not knowing that the earth is a dodecahedron

c'mon step it up atheists
>>
>>880762
There was little knowledge about the outside world, and all the scientific works of the ancients had been destroyed.
>>
>>881041
>destroyed
preserved by catholics*
>>
>>881050
That very much depends on the work. Anything goes that ran afoul of the church was heretical.
>>
>>881056

>citation needed
>>
>>881050
We know A rare work of Cicero was destroyed to make an opening for another copy of Augustine. So fuck off with your "we preserved" bullshit.

Christfags literally wrote stuff on top of ancient works to preserve material.
>>
>>881059
>>881061
>citation needed
As if you will bother to read them
Regardless if you are curious
Read Ramsay MacMullens work.
>>
>>881061
Yes, some monks were retarded. But whether it fits your views or not, christians did preserve ancient works
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuous_pagan
>>
>>881059
They refused to allow reprints of galleleo until 1750.
>>
>>880802
one of my favorites is that people during the middle ages disguised rotten meat with spices

because that makes sense
>>
>>881071
Galileo was wrong
>>
>>881061
Nothing of value lost
>>
>>881071
Galileo was a retard desu.
>>
>>881050
censored by catholics*
>>
>>880799
Well spontaneous generation was a common belief, even Aquinas supported it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation
>>
>>881085
Censorship is a relatively recent thing (500 years old recent), you don't need censorship when most of of the population is made of dumb fucks, and the one who can actually read latin are devoted to your cause. Plus all books which actually got censored in the Index were made by contemporary authors, not "ancient works"
>>
I'm from a muslim country and I tought christians were cool until i came to this board. You guys are as buttmad and delusional as muslims.
>>
>>881117
What?
>>
>>881120
He thinks because people on 4chan argue Christian ideas and history it's somehow as bad as muslims beheading children for not showing up on penis inspection day.
>>
>>881099

>The censor was an officer in ancient Rome who was responsible for maintaining the census, supervising public morality, and overseeing certain aspects of the government's finances.[1]

The censors' regulation of public morality is the origin of the modern meaning of the words "censor" and "censorship".[2]
>>
>>880762
They seem to believe in similar nonsense so maybe the flat earth was par for the course.
>>
>>880802
That Christianity destroyed the Roman Empire and led to a millenia of darkness.
>>
File: flatearth3.jpg (164 KB, 1006x492) Image search: [Google]
flatearth3.jpg
164 KB, 1006x492
But the Earth IS flat.

Heliocentrism was invented by Freemasons, literally Satan worshippers.

NASA is known for hoaxes and photoshop.

Amateur dogcam balloons into high altitudes shows clearly a flat world without any curvature. The horizon always raises to the eye level. The sun and moon circle the Earth. The sun acts as a flashlight, creating day and night.

Many of the commercial plane flights only make sense on a flat Earth.

Ball Earth is a myth invented by sun worshippers in an attempt to discredit the Bible.

Copernicus paved the way for Darwin and his retarded monkey-man myth.

The Bible makes it clear that the Earth is stationary and motionless. The sun, moon and stars are inside the firmament. We live in a giant terrarium with the walls of Antarctica as the edges.

Look up Rob Skiba and Eric Dubay. They have debunked the ball Earth lie.
>>
File: article-agvrebbrcy-1454063778.jpg (105 KB, 780x350) Image search: [Google]
article-agvrebbrcy-1454063778.jpg
105 KB, 780x350
>>880762
Bible specifies that earth is round which can be interpreted in any way you want.

You have to consider the fact that in 19th century there were conspiracy theories about earth being... not exactly flat bot not round either and majority of the theorists were Christians.
>>
>>881372
It just makes sense!
>>
>>881376
http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_vault/2015/09/30/LgFergusonMap.jpg here's whole pic but in bigger size so you can read it
>>
>>880762
Washington Irving. He wanted a baddie for his book, and chose the Catholic church, and put words to that effect in their mouth. People all over have fallen for it.
>>
>>881372
>majority of the theorists were Christians
I think you mean Americans.
>>
>>881453
yeah, I think it's important part because America lived through religious renaissance during 19th century which was 100% unlike Europe.
>>
>>881361
So this is why access to antarctica is forbidden.
Anyone who goes there without permit mysteriously dies.
>>
>>881361
>>
>>881354

>myth
>>
Christians still believe the Earth is 6000 years old and that the Noah story is true; they also believe people can come back from the dead and walk on water and resurrect others.

Doesn't matter if they don't believe the world is flat, they're still fucking insane.
>>
>>881082
First, you go on about how the Church supposedly preserved classical writings. Then when told about how the Church establishment only preserved those works that could be construed in a pro-establishment light or could be easily edited to do so while destroying the writings that couldn't, your response is "nothing of value was lost"?

I am so glad the Christcuck religion is dying out and losing influence.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.