[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: spanish.jpg (374 KB, 801x1121) Image search: [Google]
spanish.jpg
374 KB, 801x1121
Serious thread:

How did the Nationalists win the Spanish Civil War? Most of the historiography I've seen is from various leftist perspectives which want to exonerate their faction for the Republic's ultimate fall (eg, 'Stalin a good boy, he dindu nuffin, fuck POUM'), and the Nationalists are almost a secondary force. How did they win? What was their support base in the population? Were they a genuinely popular or elite movement?

Thanks /his/
>>
>>876669

Franco had like 90% of the Regular Army, the entire Colonial Army and the active support of Italians and Germans.

The Republic had enthusiatic common people grouped around a variety of, often clashing, political factions and Ruskys selling them crap war material for literal gold.

The wonder is they managed to last 3 years.
>>
>>876669
>How did the Nationalists win the Spanish Civil War?
Nazi Germany and Italy, specially Italy considering his relative size in Europe, spent a shit ton of money and don't get me started in the Condor legion and the CVT.

Also the nationalist side was far more concentrated into winning than killing each other, I can't say the same about the republican side...
>>
>>876753
Franco was a sneaky bastard.
>>
>>876669
>support base in the population
Pretty much all catholic families. The government elected in 1931 was very anti Catholic. After 14 convents in Madrid were burned the president of the republic said "all the convents of Madrid are not worth even the life of one republican". There's a lot more. Google red scare in Spain pre civil war.
>>
>>876797
Why is Catholicism always blamed for Monarachies?
>>
>>876669

Military wise they had the Army of Africa, which was the most experienced part of the army and the full support of the Italian and German regimens, which were proven vital, as for example, they needed planes for most of the Air Force remained loyal to the Republic, or the Italian aid to carry the African forces to the peninsula breaking the Republican blockade in the Strait.

The Rebels quickly occupied like 2/3 of the Country, but mostly agrarian places with like 1/3 of the population, but they also broke the Republic in two separate areas. They enjoyed the almost full support of the traditional factual powers just as the Church and landowners.

Obviously, there were fervorous backers on both sides, but most Spaniards just supported the side in which they found themselves when the war broke.
>>
>>876797

>you_dumbshit.jpg
>>
>>876822
Because it supported it.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.