[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the Roman occupation of Greece (why do they wear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Tell me about the Roman occupation of Greece (why do they wear the tunics? etc.)

How did they acquire Greece? Everything I've read just simply states that they did so in 146 BC with little detail.

Was Greece an autonomous province because of how much the Romans had a hard-on for Hellenic culture?

How many wars between the two was there?

Both Greece and Rome were polytheistic. Were Greece still allowed to worship their own gods since they were pretty much the same as the Romans.

Roman architecture is obviously influenced by the Greeks. Was it different before the Roman occupation of Greece?
>>
>>876612
There were a series of wars between Rome and Macedon, some small states asked for Roman protection which is how they got involved in Greece. The Athenians and others also rebelled and they were put down by Sulla which I think is the last time the Greeks really tried to stop Roman domination.
>>
>>876628
If I'm not mistaken wasn't Macedon seperate to Greece? I know that after Alexander died mainland Greece was carved up into a bunch of city states, with Macedon becoming it's own kingdom.

Also didn't the Greeks support Carthage in one of the Punic wars?
>>
>>876632
Macedon was separate but it was also the hegemon in Greece. Once Rome eventually defeated it the Romans naturally began to be the hegemon in Greece and then absorbed the various states within it over a century.
>>
>>876632

After Alexander's death Antigonus and his sons took control of Macedon and maintained hegemony and control over the rest of Greece.

Only some of the Greek states supported Carthage, remember that Greece was not a united state at all back then.
>>
>>876612
The Romans originally did not get involved in Greece with the intention of conquering it. They merely wanted stability. However every time they withdrew after they brought peace to Greece a war would spring up again, gradually Rome was dragged into Greece.
>>
>>876612
>How did they acquire Greece? Everything I've read just simply states that they did so in 146 BC with little detail.
I thought it's because the volume book that chronicles the period is lost.
>>
>>876646
Also was not called "Greece" nor "Ellada" nor was ever united as we know it today.

After the defeat of Perseus in Pydna by the Romans, the rest was just annexed.
>>
>>876612
>Both Greece and Rome were polytheistic. Were Greece still allowed to worship their own gods since they were pretty much the same as the Romans.
As a general rule of thumb everyone was allowed to keep their gods and continue their worship as they had always done as long as they made a sacrifice to Jupiter, and, later, the deified Emperor, this was pretty easy for the Greeks as Jupiter and Zeus were basically the same guy. It's important to remember that this was basically a tax as the Romans didn't have a difference between state and church, in fact their weren't any government buildings in Rome, most of the day to day working of the Government were run through the Temples which were as close to public building as you got back then. The only people in the Empire that really had an issue with this set-up were the Jews, for what should be obvious reasons.

>Roman architecture is obviously influenced by the Greeks. Was it different before the Roman occupation of Greece?
It was less so, but Greeks had a huge influence through out all of Italy even before Rome was founded, in fact the southern parts of Italy and the Island of Sicily where inhabited by Greek states. However what we typically think of as Roman architecture were built under Augustus and Grecophile emperor's like Hadrian long after Greece had been incorporated into the Empire.
>>
>>876612
They both look like Spartans...
>>
I'm pretty sure most Greek city states were still just granted 'friend and ally of Rome' (still independent but under Roman control in most practical senses) status after 146, I don't think they were formally annexed into the Empire itself until the Principate. Anyone know more about this though?
>>
>>876774
Nevermind, managed to look it up. 27BC.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.