[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
post a famous quote and why it's fucking stupid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: serveimage.jpg (113 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
113 KB, 1024x768
>“Pleasure is never as pleasant as we expected it to be and pain is always more painful. The pain in the world always outweighs the pleasure. If you don't believe it, compare the respective feelings of two animals, one of which is eating the other.”
The animal being eaten suffers a bit and then never suffers again, but the animal doing the eating survives because it ate the other animal and can continue to feel pleasure/suffering.
>>
but isnt being deprived of future pleasure forever the greatest suffering?
>>
>>876090
no because you have to exist to feel either
>>
>>876086
>pain is always more painful
Tell that to the scared little kids who cry and beg for hours to get out of a little shot they forget about in seconds.
>>
>>876090
There's no wit in being stupid
>>
Schopey is comparing the *simultaneous* experiences of the consuming and the consumed animals.
>>
>>876086
I find pain is less painful than the I expect it to be, usually
>>
>>876121
but if you're trying to prove a point about the whole world and you have to completely strip a situation of everything before and after it to make that point then it's not really proof about anything other than that particular moment
>>
>>876086
>“Pleasure is never as pleasant as we expected it to be

Someone never ate korean bbq while high
>>
>>876149
what's a korean bbq?
>>
>>876151
Something that will make you hungry in an hour.
>>
>>876141
It's what's known as an "example"
>>
>>876199
but it's an example that's completely self contained so it's pretty much irrelevant when you're trying to say that THE WHOLE WORLD sucks
>>
>>876199
It was vague hyperbole, you can't measure let alone compare an animal's feelings and some animals live in the digestive tracks of others and are literally designed to constantly be eaten in a happy life cycle and have no nervous system to feel with with some animals get terrible indigestion and go through horrible pain just to eat.
>>
>>876151
Grilled dog.
>>
>holy roman empire
>>
File: doge dream.jpg (69 KB, 640x507) Image search: [Google]
doge dream.jpg
69 KB, 640x507
>>876227
why
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.