[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did foreigners take to Greco-Roman Interpretatio of their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: Willingham_Fen_mace.png (106 KB, 600x409) Image search: [Google]
Willingham_Fen_mace.png
106 KB, 600x409
How did foreigners take to Greco-Roman Interpretatio of their gods? Rhine Germans seem to dig the Hercules Club (Thor hammer) necklaces.
>>
File: archaic hoplite.jpg (53 KB, 525x990) Image search: [Google]
archaic hoplite.jpg
53 KB, 525x990
>>876037
all I know is I read somewhere that the Persians invading Greece didn't sack Delphi because they interpreted Apollo as a Greek version of their god Ahuramazda

No idea if that's true or not
>>
>>876037
>How did foreigners take to Greco-Roman Interpretatio of their gods?

They didn't seem to care. Certainly the Celts seemed content to simply use both names when talking about their gods, you find inscriptions to "Mercury Teutatis" or "Sullis Minerva".
>>
>>876037
Jews got seriously butthurt.
>>
>>876053
Did the Romans actually try to interpret Jew God?
>>
>>876057

No but they refused to worship the Emperor, which was required by law, so the Romans pushed their shit in.
>>
>>876060
I wish Caligula put his statue in the big temple. Would have been great.
>>
File: roman_concrete9.jpg (521 KB, 661x856) Image search: [Google]
roman_concrete9.jpg
521 KB, 661x856
>>876037
>How did foreigners take to Greco-Roman Interpretatio of their gods?
Caesar comes to conquer your Gallic shit:
"Oh, they worship Mars, Mercury, Venus." [That means it's not like they're infidels or heterodox or atheists and need to be put to death for religious reasons! We're not Israelites after all! Tolerance! We all worship the same gods!]"
Caesar fights you and conquers your shit, but you continue to worship as usual.

And sometimes the Romans come back to Rome with YOUR gods, like Isis (the Egyptian, good one, not the Iraqi-Syrian bad one).

Pax deorum, interpretatio graeca, shared Proto-Indoeuropean religious-mythological roots, and this tendency to collect foreign protector gods to expand the pantheon with, make the Roman religion the least intolerant, most universalist shit ever, on par with another religion with Proto-Indoeuropean origins: Hinduism.
>>
>>876087
Romans ended up with Epona from the Celts, given that in the early Empire, most Cavalrymen were from Celtic/Iberian stock as Rome can't cavalry to save itself.
>>
>>876087
Too many gods is silly too. Alot of cult were shitty and destructive to social order and civic pride. Even the College of Pontiffs were discussing limiting state events and worship to a smaller circle before the Christ god wreck their shit.
>>
>>876057
According to the Greeks, the Phonecians worshipped Cronus.
>>
>>876102

The Hittites wouldn't have agreed with you. When they conquered someone, the first thing they did was learn the names of their gods, so they could build a temple for them and honor them with rites. They were known as "the people with ten thousand gods" because of this curious custom. None of this "interpretario" shit either, the Hittites kept gods as "authentic" as they could, to the point that they had literally dozens of gods who did the same thing, differentiated solely by the region their worship originated from, like "the Storm God of such-and-such-a-place"
>>
bump, actually interested
>>
>>876087

To be honest, I wish this sort religion was still around instead of nothing but Abrahamic monotheism.
>>
File: daysofweek.jpg (82 KB, 350x183) Image search: [Google]
daysofweek.jpg
82 KB, 350x183
>>876037
germanics took to roman deity naming conventions
>>
>>876037
>>876053
Im pretty sure those are butt plugs
>>
>>876057
>Did the Romans actually try to interpret Jew God?
Greek-speakers could interact with the Hellenistic Jews and possibly read their scriptures, they were interested in the synagogues (which at least originally would view it as similar to their philosophy schools, hence the Greek name) and would sometimes convert.

A proper interest in the Old Testament begins with Christianity. The First Epistle of Clement, one of the oldest New Testament-related documents, show Pope Clement I is quite familiar with the Old Testament.

Christians are the reason we still have the works of Philo of Alexandria and Josephus today.

Marcion of Sinope is a famous heretic who rejected the Old Testament, as he found the God therein to be evil. He wanted a Biblical canon, including a Gospel, effectively devoid of Judaism. In doing so, he started the development of the New Testament canon.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.