[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What conflict defines, or divides, your country? What political
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 1443471142840.jpg (47 KB, 493x853) Image search: [Google]
1443471142840.jpg
47 KB, 493x853
What conflict defines, or divides, your country? What political event has echoed down throughout history to the present day, making your weird uncles yell at each other during the holidays? Where do baffling internal identity conflicts a foreigner could never understand emanate from?

Being in the American South, the obvious answer here is the Civil War
>>
>>874109
over a thousand years of infighting and foreign domination
>>
>>874129
This plus taxes and bureaucracy making life a nightmare for all social classes with the exception of legislators, gatekeepers and a few others in the public sector.
>>
>>874129
>>874177
Poland?
>>
>>874206
Italy
>>
The Troubles, since like half of Britain is Catholic.
>>
>>874109
Uruguay. The latest military dictatorship 1973/1984
>>
>>874109
Brazil's current situation.
Population against gibs me dat commie niggers.
>>
File: partypr-1.jpg (42 KB, 640x559) Image search: [Google]
partypr-1.jpg
42 KB, 640x559
Puerto Rico: becoming USA's 51st state vs staying a commonwealth/territory/colony of the US

Plus the growing minority that wants sovereignty (be it full independence or a free association).
>>
File: sweet marx and hella bukanin.jpg (123 KB, 788x1024) Image search: [Google]
sweet marx and hella bukanin.jpg
123 KB, 788x1024
>>874109
>>
File: Assbaby.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Assbaby.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
>>874109

The endless war waged on actual people by foul assbabies.
>>
Right now definitely Trump.
>>
I am a second generation Finn in Sweden, and I don't really know what divides Sweden except feminism contra nationalism right now, but to me it has always been my heritage.
My father moved here and winded up in a mostly Finnish ghetto met my Finnish mum there. Most of their frends have Finnish or immigrant roots.
When they moved to what would be my childhood home the local Christian community worked against it. My parental grandparents got married on a lunch break when they worked at Volvo.
My maternal grandmother got depressed due to mental disorders and social exclusion from the Swedish community until she committed suicide in a mental ward.
I wasn't taught Finnish, my brothers and me were given international names, but yet whenever I talk to people they recognise a small accent and want me to identify as a Finn.
Whenever I talk about my Finnish roots, how the war has affected us etc., how my parents worked shit jobs so Swedes didn't have to (of course don't say it like that), people kinda despise me for some reason.
>>
>>874109
>What conflict defines, or divides, your country?
Pooland.

Currently shitflinging between buttblasted libruls and buttblasted catholics. It changes every few years or so but it's mostly in this spirit.
>>
>>875997
>I don't really know what divides Sweden except feminism contra nationalism right now,
Nah, at this point it's about whether to kill all kuffars or let them live for a while longer.
>>
>>876040
There are around 300 000 Muslims here by estimations, around half of them non-practising.
There are around 450 000 Finnish/people with a Finnish parent in Sweden.
There are around 10 million people in total.
Around 35% are practising Christians, 65% (of the whole population) something are members of the Swedish lutheran church.
Around half of the population are irreligious.
To claim Islam would pose any serious threat is fucking stupid.
>>
>>876020
Is there a reason Poland became so solidly Catholic? The only other two euro countries I can think of who take it as seriously are Spain and Ireland
>>
>>876073
Because church pretended to be in opposition to communists(while drinking vodka with communists and fucking little boys when they didn't see it) and they hated communists so...
>>
>>876073

>Spain over Italy
>>
>>876071
Nationwide, no. Locally?
>>
I'd say in Finland it is the juxtaposition between people from big cities vs the rest og the country
>>
>>876157
Locally, sure.
But that isn't because of Islam. Swedes will move out because "too many muslims", the neighbourhood will decline in prosperity, more poor people will move in, including new immigrants, more rich people will move out etc.
The decline of communes will always involve an element of the socio-economic "momentum" of that commune.
Which parties want to stop sensible quotas of immigrants to every commune, thus basically creating ghettos? Sverigedemokraterna.
They literally fuel the fire by opposing having a widespread immigration politics.
If everyone would take in the equal amount (or as close to equal as possible), then these problems would decline in number.
The real problem of immigration is not the immigrants but the exploitation of immigrants. The parliament is passing a law which forces immigrants to accept any job they're offered and is basically creating a poor underclass. When policies like this happen you'll see local problems nationwide.
The biggest flaw in anti-immigration politics is believing that someone isn't making a huge profit off immigrants.
>>
The noble in charge of defending us got his men and himself drunk. We got conquered and the nobles and bourgeois left, leaving only the catholic priests to look after our language and traditions. We rose up, got smashed because we didn't have the gear nor experience to fight a war. We then spent a century and a half toiling for pennies as second rate citizens in the cities we founded.

A man and an ideal gave us hope, gave us modernity, schools and brought us into the 20th century. The means to control our future were slowly taken back and we emerged from the shadows to stand as equals next to our conquerors. This did not sit well with them.

We have since lost our chance for freedom twice to their schemes. Now, our own label those who brought us out of poverty as problematic. All we have left is to drown our memories in alcohol, the very same poison that snatched victory from us in 1759.

Je me souviens...
>>
Germany: The biggest conflict here is probably right vs left.

It's not a big surprise with the reeducation of the west during the last six decades while the east did their own thing. This may also partly be the reason how "nazi" is the universal counterargument for anything not left.

Now they just hit each other, call each other names and can't lead a decent discussion at all. News are mainly about nazi crimes, so lefts are lucky enough to be forgotten, but it only pisses of rights even more.

It also seems like there's no middle ground, so everyone is just pushed to one side or another. Luckily, a lot are fed up with all that nazi shit, so at least calling others nazis isn't as prominent as before. Still, if I disagree with someone about anything about the immigrants, I'm immediately branded as braindead leftscum and "Gutmensch". Much like anywhere else on 4chan actually.

Any other divide is only secondary to that. We have them, but they don't get nearly as much attention as this one.
>>
>>876201
Quebec is a part of Canada, you fag.

t. Born in Quebec City
>>
>>876073

Generally >>876078
But aside from that, our lands were forcefully germanized and russified, so our national identity is kind of anti-Orthodox and anti-Protestant.
>>
>>876262
Get in line, I'd rather if you normalized Quebec bashing one at a time. You Britophiles love queuing, so I know you won't mind. You're number 79893, behind half the forums in this fucking country.
>>
>>874248
About 7% England and Wales, 16% Scotland and 40% N. Ireland. I live in one of the most catholic areas of England and it's not really an issue apart from one day a year when loads of drunk orangemen parade through the town.
>>
File: 1042px-RAF-Logo.svg.png (57 KB, 1042x1024) Image search: [Google]
1042px-RAF-Logo.svg.png
57 KB, 1042x1024
>>876246
What do you germans think about RAF?
>>
>>876309
Lots of silence
>>
>>876326
Is it pasdable to officialy praise them or call them a terror group?
>>
>>874109
>What political event has echoed down throughout history to the present day, making your weird uncles yell at each other during the holidays? Where do baffling internal identity conflicts a foreigner could never understand emanate from?
Fall of Singapore in 1942.

Are we just an oddly southerly British province? A distant 51st state of America? Or are we an independent nation of the pacific rim, as geography stubbornly insists?
>>
Italicus here, obviously the fascist regime
>>
>internationally
ww2, the marshall plan, globalism and the cold war

>internally
The civil war. Globalism in stuff like iraq/vietnam is a more modern divide, but the yankee/redneck divide is bigger culturally. The south goes full we wuz soldaz and the north acts like perfect princesses.
>>
>>876167
It's a divide between accepting their rightful mongol heritage or accepting their cuck korean heritage.
>>
>>876360
Not him,
but as a German, I can say that they are officially called a terror group and widely accepted as such.
It would be very strange to praise them. Even Eichinger's Baader Meinhod Komplex got criticised by many for showing the terrorists in a too positive light.
Although I think you'd have to be a serious edgelord to defend the RAF-guys after watching that movie
>>
>>876246
We simply can't into moderation while at the same time praising the "middle"/moderates
This has been a constant throughout history
>>
The US from a northeast perspective:
>Islam
>overabundance of Mexican and Arabic immigrants
>outsourcing
>hippies and their descendents (anti-consumerism, anti-institution attitude, "freedom from" attitude)
>anti-intellectualism
>bible belt states still having hangups about separation of church and state

I am sure there's more. The country is big, there is a wide range of issues. But I think the worst of them are the hippies whose general attitude towards anything that they feel takes away their individuality illegitimately seeps into art criticism and everything here, and anti-intellectualism is also a big issue... Education system doesn't help, in fact it somehow makes the situation worse.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.