[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /his/, out of curiosity, how was poor eyesight handled back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1456969239825.png (142 KB, 639x479) Image search: [Google]
1456969239825.png
142 KB, 639x479
So /his/, out of curiosity, how was poor eyesight handled back in the day? Particularly early medieval, roman, and stone ages
Were the people just completely fucked or were they allocated to tasks based around crafting, farming, and other detail orientated work?
>>
Enrico Dandolo was blind. And he led Venice.
>>
My friend that is studying to be a doctor said to me once that poor eyesight is a modern thing. It comes from straining your eyes too much. So of course there have always been people with that sort of problems, but they were intellectuals or patricians.
>>
>>873910
Mogeko~
>>
>>873910

You don't need great eyesight to be a farmer.
>>
>>873910
First thing that came to mind:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tōdōza
>>
Myopia (short-sightedness) basically happens as a result of straining your eyes doing detail-work (reading, watching TV, computer games) as a child.

People in illiterate societies, peasants, farmers, and people who didn't send their kids to schools or gave them access to reading materials as children never had need of glasses or corrective eyewear.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.