[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /his/ I need some help understanding Wittgenstein's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: wittgenstein.jpg (173 KB, 1024x771) Image search: [Google]
wittgenstein.jpg
173 KB, 1024x771
hey /his/

I need some help understanding Wittgenstein's philosophy of mathematics (if it's even possible for anyone other than Wittgenstein to do so).

I tried asking /sci/ first, but was directed here.

I've not been able to find much accessible material on the subject and I am woefully uneducated, so I need help from you to translate the technical language into lay terms.

Thanks in advance.
>>
What subjects of math do you know by heart?
>>
>>873606
In case you haven't read it, plato.stanford.edu is always a decent source of philosophical information when you want help understanding something.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/wittgenstein-mathematics/

However I don't know enough about Wittgenstein nor his philosophy of mathematics to personally help you.
>>
>>873612
None, unfortunately. Like I said, I'm uneducated (highschool drop-out). In all likelihood I couldn't even do basic algebra.

It might help if I explain why I'm asking. Recently I was introduced to the philosophy of mathematics when a family member asked me if I thought numbers were "real" or not. It seemed like a strange thing to ask and my initial reaction was that it didn't make sense as a question. I can't explain why I feel that way, though, because of the huge gaps in my knowledge. The only way I could try to describe what I felt was by saying something like "2 + 2 = 4 doesn't describe a relationship between actual objects, but it's more like a rule".

Not being able to understand my own intuition was very frustrating as you can imagine, but I wasn't able to find much by googling because I don't know the terms. All I found was that Wittgenstein believed something vaguely similar, but when I tried to read his work, I couldn't understand it. That brings me here.

>>873629
Thanks for the link anon. I've tried reading this previously, but it was too dense/scholarly for me. I couldn't quite get my head around it.
>>
>>873606
He tried to emperically prove that certain numbers were lucky or unlucky.

He had a very large fear of the number 17. You will notice none of the sentences he ever wrote had 17 characters or 17 words, this is specifically done because he was convinced it brought "sickness and death"
>>
>>873649
Well, you are going to struggle a lot with many concepts if you aren't even acquainted with basic math (at a uni level). That means proofs, axiomatic systems etc. Read how to prove it for an introduction and try to read about predictive logic. Then try to tackle philosophy of math.
>>
>>873662

Thank you for the advice anon. I guess it was too much to expect an easily-digestible answer in a subject like this. I'll take the long route.
>>
>>873653
Where the fuck have you pulled that from? Your ass?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.