[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is islam based on arabic paganism at all or is it completely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: islam.jpg (144 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
islam.jpg
144 KB, 800x600
Is islam based on arabic paganism at all or is it completely just Mohammed's adaptation of christianity and judaism?
>>
Clearly an adaptation of Christianity and Judaism, given the same god, teachings, holy books, holy figures, etc.

I don't see anything pagan remaining in the religion.

Though it does make one wonder about Mohammed's religious beliefs before being visited. Supposedly he would have been pagan, but there were huge Christian and Jewish influences in the region at the time.
>>
>>873588
>arabic paganism
Don't ya mean Abrahamic paganism? Com'on, it's Judaism III.
>>
None, the message which has been given to banu israil but with no distortion.
>>
>>873588
True paganism had probably almost gone in Arabia by Muhammad's birth. The Quran is most likely invective against Christianized and Judaicized Arab Paganism, and doesn't really bother trying to adapt either religion so much as warn people to keep to some uncontaminated and pure form of Jewish Christianity.
>>
>>873613
>>873620
I mean, judaism and by extension christianity originally came from canaanite and mesopotamian myths and I'm wondering if the arabs had their own version of Genesis and the flood before islam.
>>
>>873588

Fasting during the holy month of Ramadan, the pilgrimage to Mecca and the veneration of the Kaaba and the black rock are all vestiges of pre-Islamic Arab paganism.

Those influences, however, aren't anywhere near as significant as the Judeo-Christian influence on Islam. The mythology and theology of Islam very much occurs within a Judeo-Christian milieu. Islam sees itself as a direct continuation of the Abrahamic tradition.
>>
Its a mix of both but paganistic elements are minimal compared to the abrahamic elements.
>>
>>873730
thanks family
>>
>>873588
All of the above. The arabs had 360 gods in the kaaba that they worshiped; Mohammad took out 359 of them, and left Hubal, his dad's idol, in. One of the five pillars is to journey to the kaaba and see the meteorite that made up Hubal's head at one point in time.

That Hubal in Hebrew is HaBaal, or the Ba'al of the Moabites.

The arabs have always worshiped Ba'al, and have never worshiped the God of the Jews.

Mohammad's followers try to sell the idea that the prophets of God were all correct, that Jesus was merely another prophet of God, and that Mohammad's final revelation capped off the period where God tells men how to live, and how to reach paradise. In Mohammad's eyes, it would be a natural progression from Moses to Jesus to himself.

In God's eyes, it is a false gospel about a different Jesus, and therefore accursed.
>>
>>873674
Nope.

Go sell poison somewhere else.
>>
>>873851
>Calling facts poison
>>
>>873850
*tips chick tracts*
>>
File: pepe.jpg (36 KB, 340x448) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
36 KB, 340x448
>>873851
Get out of my thread, "christian" scum
>>
>>873588
Theology is adapted from Judeo-Christian lore.
The rituals, some of the rules and practices are mostly leftovers from semitic paganism.
>>
>>873909

>Calling bullshit "facts".
>>
>>874030
Pretty sure the guy on Hitler's side loses everything.
>>
>>873588
>Is islam based on arabic paganism at all
Read A History of God.

The Kaabah wasn't even dedicated to the High God:

By the seventh century, most Arabs had come to believe that the Kabah, the massive cube-shaped shrine in the heart of Mecca,
which was clearly of great antiquity, had originally been dedicated to al-Lah, even though at present the Nabatean deity
Hubal presided there.

>>873674
>I'm wondering if the arabs had their own version of Genesis and the flood before islam.
The Arabs had a pantheon but not a mythology.

I know it sounds strange, but it was very underdeveloped as a religion, an easy prey for monotheism.

The Qur'an itself mentions the goddesses for crying out loud. They didn't have statues, just stones.
>>
>>874236
If al-lah is the chief god of the kaaba, and the chief god of the Qureshi, then al-lah is Hubal.
>>
I have nothing against Muslims as a people, but I will criticise the fact that their religion completely ripped off Christianity.
>>
>>874314
And denies the historical events at the center of Christianity, 600 years later, on the word of an angel. satan is an angel.

One leading muslim has recently said to Ravi Zacharias that it's time for islam to stop pretending that Jesus did not die, and to start asking why.
>>
>>874309
Hubal is the Arabic variant of the Northern Semitic ha-Ba'al.

He's one of the bad guys in the Hebrew Bible, an idol of the Phoenician mythology, nothing to do with the monotheistic religion of God.
>>
>>874347
You're half right.

allah is Ba'al. The god of the arabs has never been, and never will be, the God of the Jews. Mohammad promoted Hubal to monotheistic status, obviously without any power to do so.

It's all a lie.
>>
>>873613

Muhammad was (there is a term for it in Islam) a monotheist. He believe in a singular God, but did not belong to any organized religion. This was actually a known type of religious person during Muhammad's life. He wasn't anything special in this regard.

>>873625

True paganism completely ruled over the Arabian Peninsula. Christian and Jewish Tribes were a minority. and even then, most of them lived along the North-western region of Arabia.

>>874236

> it was very underdeveloped as a religion

Wrong. It just wasn't recorded well, and before the region became one that wrote it's history down, Muhammad took out as much of it as possible. Arabs told history through poetry, and Muhammad made it illegal for JUST the Arabs to make poetry about the pagan gods.

>>874309

Al-lah literally translates from classical Arabic as "The God." al = the, lah = god. Each Arab tribe had a different name for their top god, the moon god. The Meccans simply referred to him as "The God". Muhammad used this term because it was the most logical, it just needed all the story of it removed, and made into the monotheistic God.

>>874363

please go. If it's all a lie, and all Muslims everywhere think it's a lie, and think the God of Muhammad is the God of Jesus, then wtf does it matter? No one believes what you are saying, not scholars, and especially not Muslims.
>>
File: 1456893973966.png (444 KB, 657x634) Image search: [Google]
1456893973966.png
444 KB, 657x634
>>873588

It's Judaism 3.0
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.