[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is lindy "pikes weren't used for real fighting&quo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
is lindy "pikes weren't used for real fighting" beige right /his/? was there any point to wear a coif without padding? did people do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbmd-kVgc2E
>>
>>872345
I'm not so sure he was right about pikes
>>
>>873412
I think he was being sarcastic.

Personally I think many of his theories are pretty cool, even though we will probably never be able to check them. It's entertaining and a nice exercise as far as experimental archaeology goes.
>>
File: 1210 knight.jpg (482 KB, 2173x2906) Image search: [Google]
1210 knight.jpg
482 KB, 2173x2906
>>872345
a mail coif would be super fucking uncomfortable, that's just common sense so of course it needed padding
>>
>>872345
Why is this guy so freakin' autistic. Of course people would wear some kind of cloth under the mail armor, it's not rocket science.
>>
>>872345
>is lindy "pikes weren't used for real fighting" beige right /his/?

If you mean his video where he explains pikemen during the English Civil War would not have marched on another pike square only to stop and cautiously joust just shy of stabbing range, that's basically true. Bear in mind this was specifically about the English, not all pike formations in general. Professional mercenaries or highly cohesive and determined clansmen and militia would march against one another of course, even aimed for a charge that would sweep the field with minimal resistance because of their high morale and momentum, but they wouldn't suddenly stop a few feet shy of the enemy line to spar with their pikes. Instead they'd have kept pushing and clashed with shorter polearms and sidearms.
>>
>>873425
the one in the OP seems to have rings without any edges. I don't think that would be all that uncomfortable.
>>
>>872345
yes to resist blunt trauma
>>
>>873425
Looks comfy
>>
>>873597
Mail barely protects against blunt trauma.
>>
>>872345
I actually like his observation of the simple cloth helmet being sufficient to protect the wearer, and I wonder how many medieval troops might have gone into battle just wearing such a padded helmet, and we just have nothing that remains of such. We can't be sure that these were used, but it seems likely given how cheaply they could be made.
>>
>>873488
To build on this, remember that in that context, pikemen were not being used as an offensive force, similarly to tercios, pikemen of the time were deployed as a holding force, one which would dictate the flow the of the battle, and around which the battle was fought. They were there to take and hold ground, to provide shelter for musketeers and skirmishers from cavalry attacks, and to support allied cavalry when they went on the attack. In this context Lindy is pretty much right, as pikemen in such a scenario, again similar to tercios and schiltrons, were not offensive forces, but rather defensive and support formations. Also it is important to note that in many of the largest battles of the Civil War, the armies on both sides were often around or over 1/3 cavalry, making pikemen extremely important in protecting the vulnerable musketeers (as this was pre-bayonet).
>>
>>873597
that makes no sense. it would protect against cuts.
>>873487
well, mr.special, people in movies and like in op's pic seem to think they didnt wear padding
I think youre the autistic one for expecting most people to know details
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.