[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck you its fact time!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
Fun facts throughout history.
Part II (because at least one person liked the old thread)
old thread >>35630

>Pope Formosus' body was exhumed and put to trail by the new Pope Stephen.

feel free to correct the OP. Idk for sure, I wasn't there.
>>
Operation Paul Bunyan in 1976, when the US sent special forces and tanks into the Korean DMZ to cut down one tree.
>>
>>87260
Reading about the preceding axe murders was pretty chilling.

>>87227
The methods used in the Middle Ages for dividing up the year were not the same as those in use today; also, they changed from country to country. The official year began, in Germany, Switzerland, Spain and Portugal, on Christmas Day; in Venice, upon the 1st March; in England, upon the 25th March; in Rome, at one time upon the 25th January and at another upon the 25th March; in Russia, at the spring equinox.

Russia did not adopt January 1 as the start of the year until 1725, England in 1752, and Venice after the Napoleonic conquest.
>>
Aussies used piss to keep they feet fine during the desert war in WW2
>>
Napoleon wasn't concerned with taking over france till well into his 20's, he was more concerned with corsican independence and took off over half of his early military time on sick leave to spend time in corsica.

When the bastille fell he told his brother they (revolutionaries) would calm down and everything would go back to normal within a few days.

I found this most interesting as I always thought he was conjuring up dreams of world domination from a young age before reading up on him.
>>
>>88055

In "Spain" the document usually states in which way the data is given (and I supose that is the same in other countries, Year of the Incarnation, Year of the Passion...), and till the Low Middle Ages the most common one was the Spanish whose New Year is 1 of January.
>>
File: AKG391286.jpg (45 KB, 456x344) Image search: [Google]
AKG391286.jpg
45 KB, 456x344
October 11, 1231, Pope Gregory IX entrusted to a priest, Conrad of Marburg, the task of implementing the inquisition in the Holy Roman Empire. Very quickly, his fanatical excesses and the multiplication of burning pyres rose the general indignation, including the German bishops. He was murdered by knights July 30, 1233. This is the end of justice exception to the north of the Alps.
>>
One of Napoleon's favorite books was Fingal by James MacPherson, a Scottish essayist and Gaelic translator
>>
File: 145616161612.jpg (88 KB, 485x353) Image search: [Google]
145616161612.jpg
88 KB, 485x353
After she was guillotined, Charlotte Corday's head was slapped by a man. Several witnesses claimed that her eyes looked at him and an expression of disgust came over her face.

More generally it was widely believed that so clean and quick was the cut of the guillotine that the head would still be conscious for several seconds after the act.
>>
>>88569
I heard that "they" once got a guy to agree to wink after his own execution. and. he. did.
>>
>>88612
This is terrifying, in a "I must scream but I can't" way.
>>
>>88630
when I was about 5 I promised myself that if my head ever got chopped off I'd try and throw it as far up as I could, making my last few second alive feel like I was flying.
not in a morbid way but more in a, haha jokes on you! I'm flying nowwwwww.....
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.