[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Varg right about Christianity? Is paganism the true Europ
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10
File: mqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 320x180
Is Varg right about Christianity? Is paganism the true European religion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6FjGSM0qQo
>>
>>872005
>varg
'no.'
>>
>>872005
No, he is wrong and his accounts on history are superficial as fuck. For example there was almost no torture in the middle ages. It is clearly a device of the Early Modern times. His game is shit too (or so my brother told me).
Also Fallen was his last good album
>>
>>872005
This thread again.
>>
>the people of Europe were never Christian
This is beyond retarded.
>>
paganism isnt even a religion
>>
File: le time travelling grandpa.jpg (326 KB, 803x1141) Image search: [Google]
le time travelling grandpa.jpg
326 KB, 803x1141
"Pagan" is what christians call people who aren't christians. It's not a defined set of beliefs. Get yo shit straight OP.
>>
>paganism without an ennobling spiritual and metaphysical foundation

Nice meme
>>
File: luther meme.jpg (212 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
luther meme.jpg
212 KB, 640x960
>>
File: 1450909016280.png (132 KB, 679x578) Image search: [Google]
1450909016280.png
132 KB, 679x578
>>872005
>>
>>872005
Varg is not right about anything he´s a joke in all aspects of his public life.
>>
>>872107
Inb4 those fags who mentions that he has a children as I'd that's an accomplishment and bit something even spergs so these days
>>
>>872117
He is and you are right BUT he is sort of a good entertainer. Take a look in the comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hkrp6ZDfnw

Also his post-prison Black Metal albums are legitimately good.
>>
>Varg
No, not at all.

>Born Christian Vikernes
>Changes name to Varg to be edgy
>Kills someone and burns Church
>Does jail time
>Move to France and changes name to Louis Cachet
>To France, home of Charles Martel, Peppin the Great, Jean D'Arc, and others

He's a joke, and anyone that takes him seriously is a buffoon for not seeing he's just being edgy. Paganism in Europe is long dead, primarily because the only accounts that remain are accounts made by Christians of paganism.
>>
>>872185
>Bretagne
>France
>>
File: 1443740319506.jpg (18 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
1443740319506.jpg
18 KB, 274x184
He's completely and utterly deluded and it's fucking hilarious to watch
>>
Funniest thread of this board in a long time thx op
>>
The thing with Varg is that he's a moron but he's right in a reeeeeeeeeally vague sense.

His claims are basically correct if you water them down a lot.

He wants to believe in this fantasy world where Christianity was this dominating regime imposed by the elite which the common people explicitly rejected.

That's not a correct view; even if Christian worship was superficial and maybe partially imposed by political force, there is no doubt that the majority of European peasants identified as Christians.

You can salvage a little bit of his claim though, in three respects:

1. There was probably always a little bit of anti-Christian sentiment floating around Europe, as evidenced by the fact that you can find it hidden in texts by many philosophical text from even the early-modern period bordering on the Middle Ages (e.g. Machiavelli's sarcastic comments about how 'Christianity is so strong and invincible that popes never lose power').

2. A ton of Pagan deities survived into the Christian era: off the top of my head, Cupid, fairies (valkyries).

3. Many Pagan practices, such as astrology, survived (and continue to survive to this day).

So the answer is probably, no, most Europeans weren't really not Christian. But their Christianity was always pretty superficial and there was probably never a period where there weren't some conscious non-Christians in Europe, though the extent to which various Gnostic-type 'heresies' were truly Paganism masquerading in Christianesque garb is probably lost to history.
>>
File: varg-vikernes-trial.jpg (669 KB, 1401x788) Image search: [Google]
varg-vikernes-trial.jpg
669 KB, 1401x788
>>872005
everything you need to know about that fuckboy
>>
File: 1458313812109.jpg (45 KB, 570x487) Image search: [Google]
1458313812109.jpg
45 KB, 570x487
>>872005
>varg
>right about anything
>>
There is no such thing as a monumental "paganism". Not to mention that in much of Europe Christianity has been around for well of 1000 years.
>>
>>872005
What type paganism are we talking about? Is it the Asian religions that Mediterranean Orientalboos adopted because the Middle East was much more civilized, advanced and prosperous than they were? Or is it the religions brought by sheep-fucking nomads from the steppes, shared with poo-in-loos and Turkomongols? Or is he just talking about the forgotten superstitions of the cavemen who fingerpainted on stone walls and worshipped fat whores and who ended up genocided and replaced by waves of migration from the East? Which one is the True European Religion?
>>
File: vargdaww.jpg (56 KB, 302x285) Image search: [Google]
vargdaww.jpg
56 KB, 302x285
>>872722
>>
>>872909

I'm guessing it's the second, that one sounds most like the Indo-Europeans and that's the European Paganism that we have a reasonably OK record of.
>>
Neopaganism is a joke. Almost everything we know about european pagan religions comes from christian writers
>>
>>873007
To be fair, many neopagans admit this fact. For example I knew a Irish guy who vehemently insisted that he wasn't a druid and that no one who practiced "neodruidism" or whatever was actually a druid because the celtic druids went extinct without bothering to write anything down.
>>
>>872224
Yes
>>
File: Oh, you!.gif (993 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Oh, you!.gif
993 KB, 200x200
Does anyone else harbour an overwhelming urge to invite Varg around their house for toasted bread and discussions about the rape of Europe?
>>
>>873032
Yeah and due to this it's just roleplaying. It's not passed down tradition or legit religion. They are doing it because they think it's cool, not because of real belief
>>
I like his music.
>>
>>873542
To be fair, a lot of religion is mere roleplay these days. I'm baptised and a lot of my friends have gone trough confirmation yet no of us are or have been believing, and the same are applied to our parents. Religious practices these days work as a social glue for adults and free shit for kids.
>>
>>872224
How is it relevant at all ? He isn't even living in Bretagne.
>>
>>872005

>Paganism
>Not being a catch all term for non-Roman, then later non-Christian belief systems held by dozens of ethnic groups

I have no idea who Varg is, but clearly he's an imbecile. A lot of groups converted to Christianity with little to no need for violence, including Bitons, Irish, and Norse.

Hell, both Ireland and southern England were Christianized with little to no contact with Roman Catholicism.

While there was nastiness like the Northern Crusades, it was the exception, not the rule.
>>
>>873586
>projecting from self on others
>>
>>873051
no
>>
>>872005
Varg is a fucking edgy retard.
>>
>>873051
>>872938
>>872722
He's pretty cute, I wanna snuggle with him.
>>
Odin said to rid the world of ice giants, God said to rid the world of all evil. I cannot see any ice giants around

Norse mythology: 1
Abrahamic religions: 0
>>
>>874734
Le nice meme X-DDDDDDDDD
>>
Why do some people idolize this sociopath and criminal again?
>>
>varg
Fuck off
>>
>>872071
In fact, it was more or less a really old version of calling someone a hick/hillbilly/redneck.
>>
>>874734
hi r/atheism
>>
>>872005
Varg is a retarded edgy hippy.

That said, it was funny watching /pol/ turn their back on him as they begun their christcuck phase.
>>
>>872005
His history is tenuous. But if he wasn't at least right in some broad sense about Europeans never being fully Christianized then they would have never abandoned the religion for secularism and (latter) agnosticism/atheism.
>>
European identity is created from Christianity.
>>
>>877260
Why not?
>>
>>872005
>This thread
/his/ is way too easy to trigger
>>
>>872005
>true European religion
No, Varg's "paganism" is just another development in Europe's history it isn't any more justified in its existence than what came before and after
>>
>>873542
What makes you say that? I've seen plenty that go with it because they feel that form of polytheism meshes with their conception of divinity.
>>
I thought he didn't really religiously follow paganism, just use it as some kind of reference point against Christianity.
>>
>>872008
>almost no torture in the middle ages
I find that hard to believe, not accusing you of lying but do you have evidence of this? I'd like to know...
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.