[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did he misread Hegel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: Caesar2.png (526 KB, 619x568) Image search: [Google]
Caesar2.png
526 KB, 619x568
Did he misread Hegel?
>>
What makes you think he read Hegel?

If anything he read Heidegger properly.
>>
>>867602
He went on about thesis and antithesis and shit
>>
>>867607
Hegel didn't do that, tbqh. Not to a noteworthy extent, especially compared to other philosophers.
>>
File: boo.png (9 KB, 842x67) Image search: [Google]
boo.png
9 KB, 842x67
>>867619
>>
>>867624
Huh. I didn't know that.
I guess I need to replay New Vegas now.
I have a theory that Fallout 4 is meant to be Heideggerian. The Brotherhood of Steel represents an authentic mode of relating to the essence of technology. The Institute represents the way of the old world that lead to the destruction of everything. The player represents someone to whom the world is disclosed.
>>
>>867619
Hegel did, he just didn't use the terms. Another example of a philosopher doing this is George Berkeley never actually using the term idealism while he very much was an idealist.
>>
>>867664
>he just didn't use the terms
That was my point. His philosophy is often characterized in those terms. It's an oversimplification.
>>
Caeser mentions Hegelian dialectic like once, and haphazardly explains 'thesis/antithesis/synthesis'.

Felt like the writers were trying to seem smart by shoe-horning in some concepts they barely understand.
>>
>>867736
We have to at least give them credit for trying. It's good that someone is trying to shoe-horn in philosophy instead of reference to ___ fantasy/sci-fi property
>>
if Hegel didnt, whos responsible for the whole thesis/antithesis/synthesis???
>>
>>867635
>implying Fallout 4 has any depth to it
>>
>>867635
>>867846
I'm sure any correspondence between an ideology and the vast majority of video games (especially Bethesda's) is entirely coincidental and that you should stop overthinking your adult-toys and read a book like a normal person
>>
>>867769
Fichte and Kant
>>
>>867602
he misread mein kampf
>>
>>867736
>>867761

Obsidian did not have the time to do the Legion properly, this is probably why.
>>
>>868220
Yet they had time to release 4 dlc packs, none of them expanding further on the Legion.
>>
>>867602
>Did he misread Hegel?

Not really a hard feat.

Anyone who claims to know exactly what Hegel is talking about is either lying, or a pan-dimensional alien.
>>
>>868260

Well, yeah but then we would not have gotten the dlc's which were all pretty good.

Now that i think of it Fallout NV has a lot of philosophical themes.
>>
>>868260
To my understanding they couldnt really do much to the main game due to how it was structured. Even the last "official" patch is an optional mod at this point.
>>
>>867736
Yea but think about it like this. Hegel was accused by a lot of people, most famously by Schopenhauer and Kierkegaard, to be a charlatan. Someone that's considered a philosopher but merely pretending. A fake.

What's Edward Sallow, the leader of Caesar's Legion? Someone pretending he's Caesar while he's really not. He's emulating the life of Caesar and the Romans from whatever books he have read about him and God knows how accurate those are. But people will still eat it up so it doesn't really matter.
>>
> Play Fallout 4
> Expecting that someone brings up the Chinese room in some way
> No one ever does
It bugged me enormously that I couldn't just ask someone if they were really advanced Turing machines or not.
>>
He misread the Gallic wars by Caesar because the real Caesar talked exclusively about corn not domination
>>
>>867867
FNV wasn't made by Bethesda but Obsidian.

Honestly Bethesda just sucks horse cock when it comes to writing.
>>
>>868627
Erhm, did you actually do a legion run? He explains pretty clearly he isnt emulating real romans. Even he knows they were failures. Why he makes everyone dress like romans is he is trying to destroy old American culture. The roman looks are alien to American soil so when he is forcing all the tribals of america to dress up like romans he is trying to kill the old cultures. The first recruits will still remember the old ways but Caesar is destroying all old imagery of the old world and imposing his own in an attempt to make sure after he is gone his culture will remain and the old one will be gone.
>>
New Vegas totally dropped the ball with Caesar's Legion. Caesar was an arrogant cocksucker, he resorted to threats too quickly. They should have made him more charismatic and magnanimous, I didn't believe that man could unite a gorillion tribes.

Also too strawman evil; if they played down the brutality a bit and played up the fraternal bonds of men who live and die at each other's sides, the faction would have been 10x more sympathetic and not the mustache twirling evil they bordered on.

Also needed a Boone-tier Legionairre companion who fights with a gladius and is bro as fuck.

So many opportunities missed, makes me sad tbqh senpai
>>
I thought the entire idea was complete shit.

>tribal retards cosplaying as Romans in the middle of a post-apocalyptic desert

Yeah sure.
>>
>>868831
That sounds rad as fuck.
>>
>>868835
It sounds goofy as fuck and you only like it because you're a goof yourself.
>>
>>868839
It can't be helped.
>>
>>868817
This, I saw a couple of things the legion did good, and almost everything else made them seem like edgelord fucktards
Then you meet Caesar and he's an autistic cunt without a shred of charisma
Caesars legion fucking sucked dicks
>>
I like the Legion only because of how they treated women, basically my dream come true.

But I dislike everything Roman so I didn't join them.
>>
>>868852
I hate le women too xD
let's go back to
>>>/r9k/
quick, you go first xP
>>
>>868260
By the structure of the 4 dlc's, I'm guessing that bit was planned beforehand. An extra legion dlc would have had to be in a separate area from the main game, and for the most part separate from it. It was probably better to just leave everything as is than a half assed expansion dlc.
>>
>>868839
Its not that goofy tbqh fampai. Bombs dropped, the world is in shambles and a mere shadow of its former self. Men will naturally look back and Deify the old civilizations.

Great Individuals hero-worship historical figures all the time; Caesar, Pompey and Napoleon all emulated Alexander.

It seems unlikely on the surface, but humans do some strange shit brah
>>
>>868856
>people who have opinion different from mine should leave the board

Wew lad.
>>
>>868812
>Erhm, did you actually do a legion run?
No I didn't and I thank you for the clarification.

>>868839
Fallout 2 and beyond isn't really your cup of tea if you don't like goofy things, and most people's favourite Fallout game is generally 2,3 or NV.
>>
>>868270
The DLC wasn't that good really
Dead Money was aight, had a bit of challenge too
HH was boring as fuck, Graham was okay and the ranger outfit are nice at least
OWB was shit tier humour, in a shit tier bland looking area, against boring enemies, poor DLC
MUH BEAR, MUH BULL
>>
>>868867
The only people who liked F3 were dumb kids born after 1990 who didn't play the first two games, and women. Sadly, that's a pretty large demographic.

That game was objectively awful.
>>
File: 1458518304000-1.png (364 KB, 680x382) Image search: [Google]
1458518304000-1.png
364 KB, 680x382
>>868866
r u kddng m?
>>
>>868872
t. NMA poster
>>
>>868872
F3 wasn't bad mate. If you played FO1&2 first, I could see why you might be massively disappointed; those games were awesome. I got them after FO3 and enjoyed them more. But FO3 was still bretty gud, just totally different gameplay in the same setting
>>
>>868886
It was awful. Completely ignoring the technical issues and bugs now:

>god awful writing (mostly the dialogues, OH GOD WHY? Bethesda is absolutely horrendous when it comes to dialogues)
>instead of being shifty, elitist cunts the BoS are shown as a chivalrous knightly order
>monumental retcon with supermutants on the East Coast and Enclave alive and kicking
>ignoring that East Coast is a lame ass setting to begin with
>only two real city hubs (Megaton and Rivet City), rest of the game is just walking through nothing and killing mutants
>>
>>868919
Yeah the writing is fucking shitty, doesn't make the game terrible overall though, just means bethesda have fucking god awful writing
The brotherhood were white knights in 3, but jesus fuck, they were nothing but the nice good guys in their brief appearence in 2, and they were good guys in 1, a paladin gate guard was a dick to you
NV and 4 are the only 2 games where the BoS are 'morally grey'
They weren't retcons either retard
Your subjective opinion of the east coast being lame is just that, subjective, and isn't an argument at all
That last point just isn't true either
>>
>>868919
Fair points on the dialogue and lack of city/rpg elements. FO1&2 were undoubtedly superior, but your mention of the BoS changing and retcons is a product of you playing the 1st and 2nd game. Someone who popped in FO3 with no prior experience wouldn't have those expectations let down

FO3 wasn't spectacular, and wasn't the same thing as its predecessors but it was a pioneer in being able to explore with relatively little strings attached. We can bitch at it for its abundant faults, but to overlook it being one of the first sandboxes of its time is unfair imho senpai.
>>
>>868935
>NV and 4 are the only 2 games where the BoS are 'morally grey'

You obviously never played the second game. And I never played 4 and never will, sounds like a gobshite game.

>Your subjective opinion of the east coast being lame is just that, subjective, and isn't an argument at all

t. East Coaster
>>
>>868951
You clearly never played 2 numb nuts
They want you to help them steal some plans off the ultra evil bad guys, then give you loads of shit and access to their bunkers
>>
>>868757

corn is domination

everybody eats
>>
>>868957
Did you actually read the dialogues with BoS in F2 or did you just click through them? They were very much a bunch of smug, elitist, exclusive pricks.
>>
>a game that's heavily borrowing from the aesthetics of western movies and pretty much is itself a sci-fi western, set in the deserts of the west
>completely rape this setting by hamfisting it to fucking DC and Boston

Don't tell me I'm the only person triggered by this.
>>
>>868966
Go on then. go read through Matts dialogue and tell me exactly how he's a smug elitist prick
I'm not saying he was a fucking paladin of justice and good, but god damn he and the 2 other BoS members were pretty fucking straight up
>>
>>867736
>>868220
Do you really expect a detailed discussion of philosophical concepts in a video game? I think what we got was already good enough. Caesar was an interesting character.
>>
>>869022
Yeah, i dont think Caesar will start explaining philosophy in great detail to some murderhobo under his command.
>>
>>867602
Probably, but I mean who doesn't?
>>
File: MKopPAW.gif (215 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
MKopPAW.gif
215 KB, 250x250
>>867602

They should have made him an orthodox Marxist instead, who was simply trying to get humanity back on track towards communism by restarting with a slavery-based mode of production and progressing from there.
>>
>3 vs NV
this issue is very important here on 4chan
>>
>>869763
Yeah wouldnt make sense. The chinese were already communist and part of the problem in his view probably. He was trying to create a new path for humanity. Unlike the NCR who were just worshiping old america and going to end up doing the same mistakes like nuclear holocaust.
>>
>>867867
>I'm sure any correspondence between an ideology and the vast majority of video games
to be honest you could say the same about most books, art and music. Most criticism is unjustified asspulling anyway, but it enriches the subject so it's imo more valuable than just saying "just a coincidence". Unless you want the artist/creator to spoonfeed all the references to you yourself there will always be interpretation.
>>
>>869850
>3 vs NV
How is this an issue? Who the fuck even thinks 3 is better? 3 is more comparable to the Lonesome Road DLC than it is to NV main game.
>>
>>867867
Most normal people play games instead of reading, gramps.
>>
>>869763
That's a really good idea.
>>
File: 05361.jpg (342 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
05361.jpg
342 KB, 1920x1080
>>869763
But the NCR had already re-kickstarted the capitalist mode of production so why would a Marxist want regression to a more primitive form? That doesn't make sense, and would only polarize the faction into capitalist/familiar=good vs communist/alien=bad.

If anything he should have been an ultra-pragmatist: it's a brutal uncaring apocalyptic wasteland, only by out-brutal'ing it can it be tamed. Which is what he was, a less hypocritical alternative to the NCR.
>>
File: 885-eye-of-horus.jpg (75 KB, 624x390) Image search: [Google]
885-eye-of-horus.jpg
75 KB, 624x390
>OP thinks Hegel invented his philosophy
The thoughts don't change, people do.
>>
File: 700451-kenshiro...jpg (349 KB, 1603x1202) Image search: [Google]
700451-kenshiro...jpg
349 KB, 1603x1202
>>869763
If you need slave labor to build up a country you've failed to form a decently efficient culture. Sure you can build a country but your legacy will, by nature of the cycles of the hunan race disappear. The ambition of tyrants and sociopaths shall always lead to punishment.
>>
>>867602
He's one of the few people alive who even CAN still read. He decides the meaning.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.