[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Not a single generation has passed without an uprising against
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7
File: eire.jpg (532 KB, 1600x2200) Image search: [Google]
eire.jpg
532 KB, 1600x2200
>Not a single generation has passed without an uprising against the British

When will they realise Ireland just isn't worth the fucking hassle?
>>
>>864515
Sometime after UK loses Scottland.

So maybe in the 2020-2025 timescale. I expect Scotland to be independent and then North Ireland to follow shortly.
>>
>>864521
Without discussing if they _should_ be independent or not because that would be politics, why would you expect Scotland to vote for independence when they've already voted against it?
>>
>>864515
But it is. It really is. We've got nothing left, we need somewhere to rule over. We just need somewhere.

Oh, also it's not very safe to have an island that large and that close not under our or an ally's control.
>>
>>864531
Maybe because during that vote people actually were worried for a bit that they might actually vote to leave. Sure, in the end the no vote won but if they came "close" enough for it to be a worry this time who's to say it won't happen in the next decade or two?

>>864537
But the Brits at the moment only occupy the North. Maybe in the past I could understand, but right now what have they got to lose from leaving NI?
Was Belfast some sort of bonus in one of the World Wars? I feel like they should have fucked off long ago.
>>
>>864531
The vote was already pretty close, and if the UK votes to leave the EU, a course which Scots tend to oppose, another vote would likely be in favor of Scottish sovereignty.
>>
>>864531
see: >>864554

Plus, it is just a bunch of old pensioners who are on government aid. It is just gibsmedat from England, nothing more, that is holding the UK together. That will end eventually.

The only way for UK to keep Scotland in the long-run is to flood them with refugees and keep them on the government payroll. But this might anger the Scottish people in the short-turn and cause them to secede even earlier. So it is a very fine line to tow.
>>
>>864631
Doesn't the most popular party in Scottland pride itself for being multicultural?
>>
File: 1449873274394.jpg (56 KB, 615x896) Image search: [Google]
1449873274394.jpg
56 KB, 615x896
>>864648
>>
>>864648
Yes, and the more multicultural they become the more difficult a vote for independence becomes. The concept of multiculturalism is not the threat, rather the actual practice of mass refugee importation is.

People on welfare will always vote to keep their gibs. And they know where the welfare comes from is not Scotland, but England.
>>
>>864537
Ireland would probably be in NATO today though had Britain not partitioned it.
>>
File: 1430667259054.jpg (113 KB, 531x683) Image search: [Google]
1430667259054.jpg
113 KB, 531x683
>>864537
>saying "we" like you've got the power to make such decisions
keep up the delusion, sassanach
>>
Fuck I'd like to leave the UK just for the fucking Protestant Unionist tears. There isn't a whinier bunch of faggots on the planet than Northern Irish unionists.
>>
>>864694
This.
AR CULTURE, AR IDENTATY
feck off.
>>
>>864666
NATO is pretty irrelevant nowadays.

Russia no longer threatens West Europe, just Central Asia and East Europe; Which NATO is not capable of stopping.

Partitioning Ireland has the added consequence of sending the message of England as the aggressor and UK as an artificial entity. Similar to how the USSR put down rebellions in Hungary, Poland, and Czechoslovakia. These events will only come back to haunt them in the future.
>>
>>864705
I never even really fell on one side or the other, I'll stay in Britain if it makes everything cheap because I'm legally allowed to be Irish in NI.

But holy fuck.
"STOP PROMOTING IRA THEY ARE TERRORISTS KILL THEM ALL"

"GOD BLESS DARNELL WHO DIED BRAVELY DEFENDING HIS COUNTRY IN THE UDA, PEACE FOR EVERYONE KILL ALL TAIGS"

Fucking babies.
>>
Why have we not all integrated into one great big EU state and remove a layer of government that nobody likes?
>>
>>864735
because globalization is disgusting
>>
>>864735
Who the fuck likes the EU government?
>>
>>864674
I was trying to point out the fact that I am from the UK and thereby can have that viewpoint, not that I have any control over it. That's for the fuckwits in Westminster.
>>
>>864741
nobody

but, if you replaced the top layer of government in every EU country and replaced it with a reformed and not-shit EU government, you'd have a pretty decent EU superstate.
>>
>>864728
I tried to be neutral but listening to IRA propaganda tunes and reading history made me realise that fuck the Brits
>>
>>864803
Support them or not you have to admit Irish republicans have some catchy songs.
>>
Doesn't everyone say that Ireland is apparently one of the safest places to be in the event of a "World War 3?"

As in they're essentially so uninvolved in everything that they'll all just sit there being irrelevant while everyone blows each other apart.
>>
>>864810
the scottish have some nice ones as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyj6c5VPLHQ
>>
>>864803
IRA is an extremely mixed bag.
Right now they're just gun toting faggots who ruin things for everyone and probably don't even believe in the cause but their daddy told them the brits were bad so fuck it.

The OG or "old" IRA jusst before the Troubles kicked off were essentially trying to protect Catholic/Irish residents of Belfast who got it hard and ugly from the very Protestant police force and were essentially the niggers of Northern Ireland to the majority of the population.

The British have been bastards to the Irish people in the past, but to say we are violently oppressed or occupied now is ridiculous, and to say that the IRA or any of the fucking paramilitaries on either side of the fight are any more than gangs of random chavs is also silly.

The correct soloution is for a political approach to exiting the UK, and then let the paramilitaries dissolve and kill each other off once they don't have anything to fight for now that Ireland is united and the brits don't fucking want it anymore.
>>
>>864803
plastic paddy af
>>
File: whylive.jpg (1 MB, 1600x2400) Image search: [Google]
whylive.jpg
1 MB, 1600x2400
>>864674
>tfw you will never live in an Irish-speaking Ireland
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 720x757) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 720x757
>>864850
>Irish is the minority language in Ireland
>>
>>864850
>>864879
Pretty sure it's fucked as a language anyway. I remember reading that the grammar is fucked, and that most people who "speak" do so in their own way which is often riddled with mistakes in the view of someone else who "speaks" it.
>>
>>864879
Sadly, you're not wrong. The west brits who run the Irish government have a lot to answer for.
>>
>>864832
That's fair enough. I'd still take SF over the DUP any day.
>>
>>864907
DUP are bottom-feeder tier, even the protestants are starting to question them.

SF are questionable, but not too bad. They did go "LOOK AT HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE!!!" with the whole support for gay marriage out of fucking nowhere thing, before it even had a majority of support in actual Ireland.

Once the SF shake the "many people involved in this party raised arms against british soldiers and civilians" image they'll hopefully have more luck.

That said, Unionism is on full damage control in NI. There has been a massive increase in the "protestants are oppressed" point of view and more and more groups are popping up to "defend" them.
Often headed by morons and Britain-First supporters, they don't get much say but by fuck do they get a lot of attention.

"Our day will come" in the next few decades, I reckon. Especially if the economy in south keeps improving.
>>
>>864893
>>864850

>Niamh
>pronounced "Neev"

>Siobhan
>pronounced "Sheboon"

>Saoirse
>pronounced "Syorsha"

What a shit language, why even bother learning it?
>>
>>864735
>remove a layer of government that nobody likes?
The EU government?
>>
>>864922
There is 0 point in learning it other than for the sake of a gimmick or if you're interested.
The names are pretty and that's about it.
>>
>>864922
>Anglos
>>
>>864959
Either that or west brits butthurt that they're too lazy to learn their own language.
>>
>>864922

You forgot Aoife, pronounced "ee-fuh", and Eithne, pronounced "en-yuh".
>>
>>865008
>west brits

You mean the Welsh? You understand that Ireland is not on the island of Britain?
>>
>>865081
It's actually VERY common in America for people to think that:

>All of southern Great Britain is England
>The entire island of Ireland is Ireland and then North Scotland is Northern Ireland
>The bit between North scotland and england is scotland
>>
>>865081
It's an insult for somebody deemed not Irish enough.

Though with the actual utility of the Irish language I'm not sure those posters aren't just plastic paddies flagwaving from afar.
>>
>>865119
>It's an insult for somebody deemed not Irish enough.

It's an "insult" made by retards who fail basic geography.
>>
>>865128
The island of Ireland is west of Britain. This is a basic geographical fact.
>>
>>865138

And the continent of the Americas is west of France, does that make all Americans "west French"?
>>
>>865141

In a way, yeah. We owe France a lot as a nation.
>>
>>865141
Well, There's a whole ocean 'twixt The Americas and France, and only a small ocean 'twixt Britain and Ireland.
>>
There is nobody more cringeworthy than Americans who say "I'm Irish" despite neither them or their parents ever setting foot in Ireland.
>>
>>865128
It insinuates that the insulted is a Briton in attitude but a resident of Ireland. I don't know why a figure of speech should #trigger you so much. Anyway, what you call Britain is Great Britain, and if there is a Great Britain, Britannia Magna, there must be a Britannia Parva which is Ireland.
>>
>>864515
The biggest problem is that half of Northern Ireland wants to stay and the region is in permanent political gridlock. In fact after the Scotland referendum there were NI politicians saying the region shouldn't get more autonomy because it's so hard to get anything done in their parliament.

In relative terms things have been calm since the 90s and something like a referendum on the issue would open up all those old wounds. In any case, Ireland actually doesn't want the hassle of ruling the place and seems ok with the current situation.

People going on about muh IRA or UDA need to realize that people in NI don't want to go through that shit again.
>>
>>865210
>permanent political gridlock

The Catholic birthrate more than significantly exceeds that of the protestants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kayfjq636gg
>>
>>864521
You do realise that the entire reason Northern Ireland exists is because its population on the whole want to stay in the UK? The UK probably wouldn't give two fucks about cutting their losses and giving it up, considering that it is a net-loss to the State.
>>
>>865246
>thinking it's about religion anymore
oh dear
>>
>>865250
>muh majority
where's that majority in Tyrone, Fermanagh, Derry, Armagh, and Belfast, anon?
>>
>>865191
>and if there is a Great Britain, Britannia Magna, there must be a Britannia Parva which is Ireland.

Wrong, Britannia Junior is Brittany in France. The use of "great" to distinguish "Grande Bretagne" from "Bretagne" originates with the French. The island has always been called "Britain", nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>865266
>Among the Islands, Taprobane in India must take place first for renown and greatness; next to it, Britain; and in the third place, Ireland, another Island of the Britains. Lib. mag. Constructionis. And therefore Ptolemy calls it Britannia Parva, or Little Britain.
Britannia, by William Camden

There's a few old sources that reference Ptolemy, you might be able to find a fresher refutation though that supports your position.
>>
>>864922
If you put an book in Irish infant of me I'll read it out loud making no mistakes, but I have no fucking idea what it means
>>
>>865323
>There's a few old sources that reference Ptolemy, you might be able to find a fresher refutation though that supports your position.

Are you joking? Is your post meant to be a joke? Are you literally claiming that Ireland is part of Britain?
>>
>>865342
>Are you literally claiming that Ireland is part of Britain?
Not Great Britain no, which you'd know if you stopped hyperventilating long enough to actually read what I posted.
>>
>>865397

So you're claiming it's part of Brittany?
>>
>>865414
No, once again, which you'd know if you stopped hyperventilating long enough to actually read what I posted. I don't know what else to say, I've given evidence to support the position that Ireland is on of the British Isles, if you so sincerely think otherwise surely you can find a refutation?
>>
>>865428

So you think being on the British Isles makes them Britons? Also, are you aware that the Irish do not in fact use the term "British Isles", and that the phrase "Britain and Ireland" is the near-universal norm internationally?
>>
>>865441
No it isn't. Only Irish actually believe this.
t. someone who isin't irish.
>>
>>865255
this
its mainly about trade and business,
i have a few friends up north that consider themselfs irish, but dont really care if they come under irish rule or english
>>
>>865250
you're just a fucking idiot.
i love how it's called the united kingdom of great britain and (part of an island we helped to divide)
british people are so fucking blue-pilled, holy shit.
>>
>>865469

I'm British and yet somehow I know this. In English "British Isles" is commonly (mis-)used but internationally it is "Britain and Ireland".

In any event being on the British Isles does not, in itself, make you British. It is also possible to be Irish or Manx or Shetlander or something.
>>
>>865441
>So you think being on the British Isles makes them Britons?
No. See above.

I wasn't sure there were any potatoes that survived the famine but your family must have been some of them.

It's either that or 'I was only pretending' which is just about equally retarded.
>>
>>865497
>internationally it is "Britain and Ireland"

It literally isn't. Everyone calls it the British isles.

t. not that guy and neither Irish nor British
>>
>>865497
No it isn't.

Spanish = Islas británicas
German = Britische Inseln
French = ÃŽles Britanniques
Italian = Arcipelago britannico
Russian = Britanskie ostrova
Dutch = Britse Eilanden
Polish = Wyspy Brytyjski
>>
>>865497
>>865441
It's the British Isles. Just look at a fucking map - whatever the situation might be politically or ethnically, geographically Great Britain and Ireland clearly belong to the same island group, the British Isles. And this is what everyone who isn't eternally butthurt about stupid shit calls it.
>>
>ITT: West Brits get mad
>>
>>864521
Scotland literally formed the UK you massive retard.
>>
The British Isles is a propaganda term coined in 1577 by John Dee.
>>
Gay lick
>>
>>865342
Nope, British nationalists are genuinely this arrogant and insane.
>>
>>866706
This.
>>
>>864631
>Flood them with refugees
Stop reading /int/ memes: one of the reasons floated for Scotland to leave the union was so that it could increase its levels of immigration.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n730FWycrTY
Thread theme
>>
>>865692
Actually, they're the Islas Malvinas del Norte
>>
File: 50dmw.jpg (232 KB, 1800x1015) Image search: [Google]
50dmw.jpg
232 KB, 1800x1015
>ywn be a well liked, cocky young irish man at a highly politically instable time in alt-history ireland
>You won't constantly be up to mischief causing hassle for the Brits that everyone in the neighbourhood hates since they puashed wee Agnes doen a flight of stairs for showing her fanny during the Queen's Speech
>The IRA won't recruit you for your knowledge of the city and hatred of the Britfags
>You won't get a 6/10 girlfriend from the city who loves you but hates how you hang out with the rough lads
>You won't sit in Divis flats watching the Britfaggots scurry around searching the homes of your friends and family
>The IRA will never keep the attitudes and morals they were founded upon
>You will never remove Brits while protecting the Irish Catholic population
>You will never burn Union Jacks and burn down the Orange Order halls
>The British will never get sick of your shit
>The British will never get sick of kids throwing piss balloons at them
>The British soldiers will never get sick of not making out a word we fucking say
>You'll never storm City Hall and fly a tricolour from the top
>You'll never laugh with the lads about kicking the Brits out and be the subject of a mural in Belfast
>>
>>864850
In 200 years if people keep adopting Irish as their first language at the rate they're doing now Irish will be the first language of 51% of the population
>>
>>866934
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KA9QKgcNRM

Fuck I love me some IRA songs
>>
>>867405
That's not factoring population growth mate.
The number of Irish speakers increased, but their actual percentage decreased.
>>
Fucking Unite Ireland just to see those faggots in the orange order cry.
Without wanting to go full edgelord, I'd love nothing more than to see those cancerous faggots get BTFO.

All those jumped up protestant kids reckon they're amazing and then suddenly Britain doesn't want them anymore. Fucking beautiful.
>>
Wait, what's my generation's British uprising??? I'm 24 so the Troubles were still sorta on while I was alive, but there's not been a real uprising since then.
>>
>>867427
NI here.

I'd rather not get bombed, thank you.
>>
>>865246
> He fell for the birth rate meme.

Based Prod Ulsterbro here with Catholic family members, no one gives a shit about >muh religion. Literally everyone under the age of 40 who isn't a complete and utter drooling retard, supports the Union.

Sorry to burst your bubble you stupid Americuck.
>>
>>864547

The next referendum is already in the planning stages. You're looking at maybe three years.
>>
>>864811

We have massive food surpluses and the industry to continue producing medicine and electronics. We don't have very much in the way of natural resources though. We import nearly all of our fuel, though with the discovery of oil and gas in the Atlantic, this may change. Finally, the continental winds blow away from Ireland, meaning that if England or France was nuked, we'd be fine.
>>
>>864922

>shebhoon

It's pronounced shevaughn.
>>
>>864922
Siobhan is actually said as shiv-awe-n.

You know not what of your speak. Go back across the sea whence you come.
>>
>>867405
Where are you getting this from in Ireland the rate of people attending gealscoils or schools which operate through irish is way up. However in everyday life we all speak english. Even the lads from the gealtachts speak English when not in the gealtacht.
>>
File: NIPp.png (534 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
NIPp.png
534 KB, 480x480
They don't want it. Northern Ireland wants to remain and thus it will, just like Gibraltar, just like the Falklands.
>>
>>865493
Uh, he's right though? The vast majority of Brits don't care about Northern Ireland and would happily give it to the Irish. the only reason it's still part of the union is because of all the protestants in NI who want to remain British.
>>
>>870497
>Implying everyone wouldn't just join the republic the second it makes everything cheaper by the slightest amount
>Implying you wouldn't still be able to call yourself "british" under the same basis that some NI people can call themselves "Irish"

>>872212
>implying
Unionist culture is rotting and it's cool to be edgy and contrarian and therefore Irish these days. The economy in the south is reaching a point where it wouldn't be suicide to join with us and people are blaming most of NI's modern problems on a gormless Protestant Unionist government fucking it up for all of it.

It's not the IRA that'll free Ireland, it's the fucking sjws.
>>
>>865262
You do realise that Irish Catholics in the North are also overwhelmingly Unionist, right? Only about 30% of Irish in the North are actually Separatists at this point.
>>
>>872361
>overwhelmingly unionist

People need to quit the idea that a majority of NI is "loyal" to Britain and wouldn't jump ship if it was simple enough and made shit cheaper or life better.
The only people who would suffer are the Orange Order faggots that no sensible people from either side actually fucking like.

Unionism is a dying breed in NI and unless some seriously smart politicians pull some seriously smart fucking moves a united ireland is going to happen in the next couple of decades out of sheer spite to the Unionists who cause all the issues nowadays.
>>
>>864648
as long as you arent english then yeah officially they do.

the SNP are a bunch of driveling idiots that if they were the other side of the border would be the kind refered to as 'little englanders'
>>
>>864694
>There isn't a whinier bunch of faggots on the planet than Northern Irish unionists.

indian nationalists, irish catholics, and those idiots who call the american civil war 'the war of northern agression
>>
>>872658
>indian nationalists, irish catholics,
>people who were genuinely oppressed
>stop whining GOSH!!!1!
fuck off anglo
>>
>>872658
Irish Catholics aren't nearly as pissy as NI Protestant Unionists.

There are countless groups being formed to "protect protestant culture" now that everyone realised the DUP are fucking idiots and not capable of running a country, and now the sheer sight of a tricolour is enough to send almost any of them into a rage about how the Irish are forcing themselves upon them as though Finn Mcool was skullfucking the Queen herself whilst chanting "go on home british soldiers", an Irish flag in one and and the other hand several inches inside of Churchill's rotting asshole.

>>872667
Irish Catholics aren't oppressed anymore. In the past they were, but now nobody gives a fuck. "Protestant" means pro-british and "Catholic" means Pro-Irish a majority of the time. Most of the hardline faggots on either side don't actually practice the religion they so viciously defend.
>>
Not really up to date on the /pol/ side of things but basically:
UK don't give a fuck, its just the people in the north who want to remain 'British' for the economic benefits
Also Unionists are the reason a lot the shit went the way that it did in the 1910/20s because of how fucking afraid of change they were although they were kinda right about the home rule=rome rule bit
>>
>>864741
Me
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.