[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rome never fell. It just converted to a different religion. Discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: muhjanissars.png (149 KB, 1488x1228) Image search: [Google]
muhjanissars.png
149 KB, 1488x1228
Rome never fell.
It just converted to a different religion.
Discuss.
>>
File: 1458495027560.jpg (9 KB, 209x250) Image search: [Google]
1458495027560.jpg
9 KB, 209x250
>rome
>does not control rome
>>
There's no empire anywhere in the area anymore though.
>>
>>864207
There's the EU.
Arguably, if you want to include Anatolia, you could expand the definition to NATO and it's Mediterranean Partnership Program it holds with Israell, Jordan, Morroco, Algeria and Egypt, but this would expand the definition of Roman Empire to North America, which, altogether with the Meditteranean/Europe, is more Atlantic than Mediterranean. No wonder it's called North Atlantic Treaty Organization, so the EU would be a better call, despite not holding ME and NA.
>>
What did the Ottomans preserve from the Romans though?
>>
>>864218
Pederasty.
>>
>>864187
basically. I think may people here would agree Turkey is the legitimate successor to the Roman Empire
>>
>>864218
Faggotry
>>
>>864315
>T.roach
>>
The secular roman's based polytheistic irreligious world view, "Mos maiorum (way of the elders)", and veneration of ancestor is by some consideration survived by the glorious Chinese
>>
>>864323
Lets face it, north africa/middle east was much more peaceful when turks were in charge.
>>
File: Legit shit.png (344 KB, 1600x1954) Image search: [Google]
Legit shit.png
344 KB, 1600x1954
Basically legit as this.
>>
>>864354
Absolutely any ruler will make the Middleeast more peaceful than it is right now as long as he or she isn't a Muslim Arab.
>>
>>864356
>Finland is heir of Roman Empire

I like this meme.
>>
>>864356
>Serbian
>Empire
>>
There's no heir anymore. Italy, Germany, Turkey, Russia, Greece, they're all fucking republics now. They can't claim dick.
>>
you can't be a continuation of something if you conquer it
>>
>>864376
t. k*rd YPG
>>
File: 1431108938406.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1431108938406.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>864376
>or she
>>
>>864187

>post EU propaganda

yeah just no
>>
>>867108
>republic
like the real rome.
the empire was a joke that lasted way longer than anyone was laughing.
>>
>>867166
We are talking about the heirs of Roman EMPIRE, not the Roman REPUBLIC.
>>
>>867170
it's a moronic concept to begin with. clinging to some long lost state for legitimacy is an absolute joke.
i can see where the byzantiboos can make the argument, but once it gets to russia or turkey then it's fucking laughable.
>>
>>867186
>i can see where the byzantiboos can make the argument,
it's not an argument
it's a few retards smashing their heads against a brick wall of truth that is the ERE
>>
File: visionofconstantine.jpg (249 KB, 850x1098) Image search: [Google]
visionofconstantine.jpg
249 KB, 850x1098
>>864187
>>867108

>Officially Speaks Latin
>Still dresses in Late era Roman Garb
>Administrative structure modeled on Roman structures of administration
>Capital is in Rome
>Calls itself Roman
>Inherited the Patrimony of the Western Empire
>Has crowned Roman Emperors
>Has survived longer than any claimant of Rome to the present day

What's that?
Did someone say, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURH!
>>
>>867211
>the way you dress yourself is more important than legal continuity

Laws, nigger. Countries are based on laws. Not on what people decide to cosplay as.
>>
>>867170
OP says Rome.
>>
>>864187
Rome became a meme there are no more successors
>>
As long as there are butthurt eastern european and balkan folk posting here no amonut of rhetoric will convince them that Ottocucks were the third rome.
>>
>>867211
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donation_of_Constantine
FORGERY
O
R
G
E
R
Y
>>
>>864234
>>864319

/thread
>>
I think Greece is the true heir of Rome.
But it's kind of shitty at the moment so we'll give the throne to Italy. They are a little less shitty.
>>
>>867245
Ottoman Empire used islamic law as the civil law. Only its andministrative law was alike Romans.
>>
The Roman Empire ended in 330 regardless of what you think. To think the otherwise is equivalent to thinking that the Seleucids were Alexander's Empire.
>>
>>868476
what's your reason for thinking that
>>
>>868494
The administration was officially split into east and west halves, making it into two different polities. It therefore was the moment that the Roman Empire itself ceased to exist. A good 600 year reign (if you're generous and include the republic)
Two rulers, two capitals, two areas, two different states. Both roman, neither of them Rome. The Seleucids were exactly the same thing: A direct transition of administration from the previous state to the next. All of the Diadochi were like that. Though they were greek, none of them were Alexander's Empire.
>>
>>864187
Rome never fell. It just sort of faded until there was a point when no one thought it existed. Hell, there probably is still some archaic legal link between some modern states like France or Germany where there are still traces of Rome left.
>>
Lets not delude ourselves here this thread is basically

>them mudslimes no way they have anything to do with glorious and aryan rome
>>
>>868602
Tenuous link =/= continuity
>>
>>868607
not everyone has a persecution complex like yourself fella

>>868568
so it wasn't the roman empire because it was administered in two halves?
for there to be a roman empire it has to be united under one administration and one emperor?
>>
>>864315
I would disagree completely.
>>
The Roman Empire ended in 1453 when Constantinople fell. You could stretch it, and argue the Roman Empire finally ended in the 1460s when Trebizond and the Principality of Theodoro fell.
>>
>>868568
Did Germany cease to exists after it is was split it two?
Is reunited Germany another aswell?
>>
Of course it didn't. It just changed hands several times after the Roman Empire fell. Goths, Lombards, Papal States. It's still standing today, in the hands of the Italian Republic.

Not a /pol/ Turkophobe but people only think that the Ottoman Empire was the successor to Rome was because the land they occupied at it's peak was pretty similar to what the Eastern Empire had.
>>
>>868662
>Not a /pol/ Turkophobe but people only think that the Ottoman Empire was the successor to Rome was because the land they occupied at it's peak was pretty similar to what the Eastern Empire had.

Nope. It's more complex than that.

For one thing: the Osmanli Dynasty thought: "that's it, this is what we're ruling forever. Might as well adopt "WE WERE ROMAN N SHIT" identity and call myself "Kayser I Rum" as well as Sultan." It looked into a future wherein they're ruling more and more Europeans.

But then the unthinkable happened under Selim the Grim, who defeated Persia, and Subjugated Egypt, and acquired Mecca/Medina. This blew the minds of the Ottomans and they quickly dropped the importance of "Kayser I Rum" for something more glorious to their Islamic Hearts: Caliphate. They now ruled over a lot of Muslims + ALL the holiest sites of Islam.

So the Sultan was basically Padishah (Emperor) who is Caliph of all Sunnis, and oh yeah, as an aside, the less important title: Kayser I Rum.
>>
>>864197

Neither did the original Roman empire always control Rome, the capital became Ravenna and later Constantinople.
>>
File: 1458508482236.png (372 KB, 1600x1954) Image search: [Google]
1458508482236.png
372 KB, 1600x1954
>>864356
ffy
>>
>>868745
at what point did the original Roman Empire not control Rome?
>>
>>864187
Yeah no.
>>
Rome = USA and EU
Byzantium = Russia
>>
>>870543
So the US and EU will be divided up by the immigrant workers they invited in and Russia will linger on for a few more centuries, diminished in all but arrogance.

Seems legit. Whose the Franks?
>>
>>864187
It converted to a different religion which was practically Islam, which was largely ruled by Armenians.

Stop trying to push the meme that Rome survived the psuedomorphosis. It did not.

>>864215
Or we could stop making stuff up and stop pretending stuff like Rome, Babylon and so on are still alive.

At best, Rome is the Pope. And obviously the Pope joined Charlemagne.
>>
>>870478
Do you really think this "fact" argument will go anywhere? They're idiots.
>>
>>870566
the new franks...uh...I guess mexicans, cubans and such
>>
>>870566
>Whose the Franks?
Indian IT entrepreneurs.
>>
>>864187
every butthurt small dicked map painting strongman since rome fell has tried to claim its legacy for whatever possible reason they can come up with
it's all bullshit, rome fell, byzantium fell, and no one inherited their flag, least of all fucking turks
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.