[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What're some good books/sites I can read if I want to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 196x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 196x250
What're some good books/sites I can read if I want to learn about Nordic religion?
>>
Georges Dumézil - Gods of the Ancient Northmen
>>
File: 1450909016280.png (132 KB, 679x578) Image search: [Google]
1450909016280.png
132 KB, 679x578
>>863438
WE
>>
The Poetic Edda
The Prose Edda
>>
File: 1458461270803.jpg (119 KB, 768x960) Image search: [Google]
1458461270803.jpg
119 KB, 768x960
>>863461

Why do so many pagans flock to the Nordic traditions instead of superior Hellenic-Romanic?
>>
File: Hide Snowniggers.png (115 KB, 1305x893) Image search: [Google]
Hide Snowniggers.png
115 KB, 1305x893
>>863471
Snowniggers gonna snownigger.
>>
>>863499
>Snowniggers gonna snownigger
Yeah by definition, I think that's what happens.

>>863471
More importantly, why is germanic paganism hated so much here?
>>
File: 1446186953577.png (390 KB, 1542x763) Image search: [Google]
1446186953577.png
390 KB, 1542x763
>>863510
Because it's shit.
>>
>>863471
Probably because most of them, being English speakers, are likely anglos and so bear a closer relation to the Nordic tradition than the Hellenic traditions.

What I don't get is why they don't put more thought into their own theology. Nordic paganism wasn't a centralized religion, and personal beliefs were a pretty common part of it.
>>
>>863471
Because most white people on here are from German and/or English stock.
>>
>>863438
The Edda by Snorri Sturluson
I got my translation in an antique store, but I think you can just order one from amazon
>>
>>863510
>More importantly, why is germanic paganism hated so much here?

Because there's some /pol/ack who's asshurt that people believe in something that isn't Christian. Hence why most of his appeals against it amount to "it's not aesthetically suited to white nationalism/fascism."
>>
File: runestone.jpg (89 KB, 515x904) Image search: [Google]
runestone.jpg
89 KB, 515x904
Go read runestones in Sweden you pleb
>>
>>863471
There's more people descended from Germanics than Latins/Greeks.

Additionally, the Catholic Church still plays a role in the populations and Diasporas' of the people who could MUH HERITAGE over Hellenic Paganism. This is in contrast with large swathes of the Germanic population and it's diasporas which has no real religious continuation (No, you are not "continuing the apostolic tradition" by listening to Gregorian chants and talking about MUH CRUSADER AESTHETICS on a Bhutanese lime cultivation graffiti wall) or indeed, a religious presence at all.

Consider that Italy has 31% church attendance (According to Wikipedia) while Denmark has 3% (Again, according to Wikipedia).

Additionally, for many of these ethnicities, Catholicism IS their native religion. The French people did not have a religion pre-Christianity because there were no "French" people until long after Christianization. The same applies to Romanians, to Italians, and to Spaniards. And that doesn't even get into the New World.
>>
File: lutherball.jpg (182 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
lutherball.jpg
182 KB, 640x960
>>
>>863510
>why is germanic paganism hated so much here?
Paganophobia.

>>863536
>Catholicism IS their native religion
You have it backwards.

>Italians
Italy is a 155 year old country. The ethnicities therein are older than that, unless you want to .

The New Testament also owes its existence to paganism and Plato, and was written in Greek.
>>
>>863532
Yes, you sure showed me. No better way to prove you're not an asshurt idiot than to spam every thread, even ones like this where someone just wants to learn, with /pol/-tier responses. How many times have you been banned?
>>
>>863566
*unless you want to imply the country was barren before that, or a massive ethnic cleansing took place.
>>
File: Thor's Defender.jpg (67 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Thor's Defender.jpg
67 KB, 600x900
>>863568
>yfw
>>
>>863510
>More importantly, why is germanic paganism hated so much here?
You know all these Christposters? The MUH DEUS VULT EVOLUTION IS A LIE I AM A PURE FOLLOWER OF THE ORTHODOX TRADITION types? Like the tranny who thinks Mary wants him to take hormones?

A few years ago, those types were Asatruar; Norse Pagans. They are disliked by the following groups

>Anyone who doesn't want to see the same thread over and over and over again
>Christposters butthurt about MUH JESUS
>SJWs upset that Heimdall isn't a niggity nog in the Norse myths
>White Nationalists bitching each other out endlessly about how minor details will help save the White Race and you're a filthy kike if you disagree
>People who are actually interested in Germanic mythology or anthropology and are sick of seeing people talk about how Tyr making the Brown haired guy, Red Haired guy, and Blonde haired guy is not a myth explaining the Germanic iteration of the evolution of the Proto-Indo-European caste system but instead a story about Tyr making "Negroids", "Mongoloids", and "Caucasoids" (Those terms are garbage btw, don't use them)
>People who would gladly hop onto the Asatruar train if people would stop bitching endlessly about minor shit and actually make it a religion that isn't just relegated to Sinhalese Sewing Shop Stopovers.
>>
The Poetic or Elder Eddas include a lot of mythology. But very little is actually known about their religion (rites, rituals, observances, etc.) and what is known is primarily from Christian sources.
>>
>>863578
>Like the tranny who thinks Mary wants him to take hormones?
Constantine?
>>
File: Bagans.png (108 KB, 1270x1136) Image search: [Google]
Bagans.png
108 KB, 1270x1136
>>
>>863592
Constantine isn't actually a q t asian grill who likes to kpop? ;_;
>>
>>863608
You're thinking of Sakurahime.
>>
>>863608
Nobody really knows. He stopped tripping shortly after his identity started to leak a bit. Personally I think it was because too many people were filtering him.
>>
>>863612
All these tripfriends look the same to me.
>>
>>863617
Good point.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 610x470) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 610x470
>>863438
The mythology is relatively easy to find.

However, using that as a source on the RELIGION is like taking a children's picture bible that very basically covers all the big stories (Creation, Noah, Moses, Samson, Daniel, David and Goliath, life of Jesus etc) and then start a religion based on it when all you're familiar with is Shinto ceremonies, you get stuff like Wicca where it's like a coloring book that you drew your own contexts and ideas around the intended image considering how much their paganism is "Christianized" Paganism, i.e. "We do stuff that's like an Anglican High Mass, but we praise Jupiter so it's totally different and authentic to Roman religious rituals."
>>
>>863517
Oh look, it's that image that doesn't say anything about paganism again.
>>
>>863438

You can just admit that you're a Nao-Nazi, anon.
>>
>>863787
not all neo-pagans are neo-nazis reeeeeeeee
>>
>>863665
So, is there anything known about the religion itself?
>>
File: paganism.png (456 KB, 826x896) Image search: [Google]
paganism.png
456 KB, 826x896
>>863713
>>
>>863665
fuck off christ nigger nothing you or most of the anons have even described heathenry. Op if you're still here, mythology of the religion themselves?
>>
>>866347
>>863438
>>863438

nm OP i got you sempai

the culture of the teutons is a good but hefty place to start. I recommend A practical heathens guide by lafallyve, hammer of the gods by swain wodening and alves, trolls and wights by gundarsson.

explore the sagas and mythology once you better grasp the culture and logic of the religion
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.