[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aristocrats had a tendency to die at very inopportune times with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: portrait-of-charles-the-bold-1.jpg (64 KB, 730x1134) Image search: [Google]
portrait-of-charles-the-bold-1.jpg
64 KB, 730x1134
Aristocrats had a tendency to die at very inopportune times with catastrophic consequences. Who's death do you think was the most unfortunate?

Pic related; Charles the Bold of Burgundy
>his lands were between France and Germany
>died without an heir leading to 400 years of war in the Rhine basin

Second preference votes go to Prince Balthasar of Spain and Prince Arthur of England, whose deaths both lead to extremely unstable younger brothers taking their respective thrones
>>
Meh. There could never be an independent burgundy anyway. His death was untimely only because it came after he concieved a child.
>>
>>859691

Not OP, but why not? I mean, Burgundy had been essentially independent for the better part of 80 years when he died.
>>
>>859691
The HRE nearly gave him a crown. The guy was richer than the king of England.

While I agree that his death was inopportune the dukes of Burgundy were really important in the formation of what are now the low countries. They united a shattered part of the HRE and led it to become the more thriving piece of land in Europe.
>>
Ogedei Khan. His inopportune death prevented the mongol invasion of Europe.
>>
Julian the Apostate/Philosopher. He was the last Emperor who had a chance at changing history and bringing the Roman Empire into another period of Greco-Roman Pantheism, albeit in a form that woulf have been very different from the religion of Augustus. Dying in battle against the Persians snuffed that dream out though, and the man who succeeded him solidified Christianity's grasp on the future of European History.
>>
>>862008
Jovian?
>>
Franz Ferdinand d'Este, nobody else compares.
>>
>>859646
Gustav Adolf II:
>Protestants end up a bit cucked, Sweden never becomes a proper Protestant empire, Simply the war reparations could have created a very prosperous Sweden and North Germany we'd see a very different Northern europe today.

Frederich the great:
>So much shit man where to begin? Probably a more fluid line of Succession which would have central power for WW1 Germany, could have won WW1, don't quote me on that but I'd like to think so.
>>
Huayna Capac died right before the Spaniards arrived, leading to a civil war that made the Incas much easier to conquer (Pizarro probably would have been defeated if he attacked a unified Inca empire.) Though I guess his death from smallpox wasn't so much an unfortunate coincidence as it was a direct result of the Spanish arrival.
>>
File: Henry5.jpg (2 MB, 1616x2256) Image search: [Google]
Henry5.jpg
2 MB, 1616x2256
This nigga right here
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.