[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is conservatism, traditionalism, certain types of stoicism and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: stadsmil.gif (15 KB, 529x310) Image search: [Google]
stadsmil.gif
15 KB, 529x310
Is conservatism, traditionalism, certain types of stoicism and self-denial easier or more common in economically stagnant areas? Rural places or countries that aren't really growing all that much in economic terms.

Are economically flourishing and typically urban places more inclined to progressive, non traditionalist and decadent/hedonistic lifestyles?

There is a saying around here that poverty kept people pious and I wonder how much truth there is to it.
>>
What do you mean by economically flourishing? Areas that have a lot of industry, i.e capitals and population centers or areas that have a high average income i.e rich suburbs?
>>
>>859344
The former mostly. But I admit I was thinking about a time before mass suburbs, a time when only the really rich might have had a countryside residence while earning their money in a city.
>>
Stoicism was probably most popular in the era of the 5 Good Emperors.

Epictetus was the greatest and most famous philosopher in the era of Trajan and Antoninus. That was the height of the Roman Empire.
Hadrian was even a student of him, but not a very good one, considering how much he suffered due to his hedonism and his gay lover. But still a very good ruler.
>>
>>859368
Good point, but how much of this was elite discourse and what actually hapenend in the city streets?
>>
Conservatism is the most sanest way of thinking there is.
>>
>>859549
have a (you) for your valuable input.
>>
>>859529
Stoicism was a practical philosophy. The adherents were more concerned with living it than writing about it. That's why it died.
>>
>>859617
Don't you think some parts of it survived for longer?
>>
File: Extent_of_the_Hansa-optimiert.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1098) Image search: [Google]
Extent_of_the_Hansa-optimiert.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1098
bump
>>
>>860000
No, Stoicism died.

It got a kind of revival in Victorian England (another era of greatness), but then lost popularity after that.
>>
>>859307
Being poor could mean a higher reliance on the community/neighborhood/family, maybe thus encouraging self-denial/conservatism/traditionalism?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.