[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who were the greatest warriors of the middle ages? IMO it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Viking_Expansion.svg.png (193 KB, 800x524) Image search: [Google]
Viking_Expansion.svg.png
193 KB, 800x524
Who were the greatest warriors of the middle ages?

IMO it's the vikings, they adventured over such a large area, raiding, traiding, and found polities such as the Danelaw, Duchy of Normandy, and Kievan Rus' that no one else comes close.

In the 11th century there were three courts outside Scandinavia recruiting vikings in large numbers, England, Kievan Rus', and Byzantium. You can cherrypick battles they lost but the fact is if they weren't great warriors they wouldn't have been such prized mercenaries.
>>
>>1058209
>Who were the greatest warriors of the middle ages?
The mongols
>>
- Normans. They were land-hungry and adventurous as fuck in the Mediterranean and British Isles

- Mongols, nuff said

- Spanish Christian kingdoms. They were fully militarized and constantly waged war against the Moors, with each other, and even worked as mercenaries for the Muslims.

- Balkans in general. Bulgarians beat Byzantines and Latin Crusaders. Hungarians stomped plenty of ass. Wallachians, Transylvanians, and Moldovians repelled against the Mongols and Ottoman Turks plenty of times. Serbs and Croats were okay too.
>>
>>1058209
>a bunch of raiders
>avoided pitched battles
>didn't conquer much, and what they conquered wasnt for long
>their greatest army ever fielded was defeated soundly by the king of a small Saxon kingdom
>gained their largest state by invitation, not conquest (Kiev)
>Christianized with no crusades or wars, just a little suppression by the kings

I just don't understand. The fucking Wends were more badass pagan warriors.

My vote goes to the Franks. Beasts.
>>
>>1058209
Sardinia was never raided by Vikings, I don't know about Corsica but I doubt it was.
>>
>>1058308
>wends
why so?
>>
>early middle ages
probably the franks

>late middle ages
maybe the >H >R >E
>>
>>1058209
The vikings are fascinating, certainly, but their military prowess is very overrated. They were great sailors, explorers and pirates certainly, but their military record is fairly lackluster for how much they are talked about.

Alternative cultures/states/military powers to talk about.

>The Mongols
>Tang Dynasty
>Rashidun, Umayyad and Abbasid Caliphates
>Wessex and other Anglo-Saxon kingdoms
>Franks
>Normans
>Bulgars
>Rajputs

etc etc. It isn't hard at all to find people with better military records than the vikings. There's a reason areas like Ireland, Britain and the Baltics aren't culturally scandinavian despite centuries of scandinavian raiding and attempted conquests.
>>
The Muslims

Still going strong in their killing and raping ways.
>>
>>1058209
The Hwan Empire
>>
>>1058872
>Hwan
>Middle Ages

Read a history book you fucking pleb.
>>
>>1058896
Unstaple your nevers before talking to me, the Hwan Empire was the greatest empire to grace this galaxy
>>
>>1058901
The Hwangook dynasty predates the Medieval period by 32789 years retard.

Check you facts before polluting this board with your ignorance.

t. PhD in Finno-Mongolian history
>>
File: 1453700064038.png (13 KB, 308x307) Image search: [Google]
1453700064038.png
13 KB, 308x307
>>1058937
Then what is this
>>
>>1058940
An event from the late Hwan period which still predates the Middle Ages by almost 10,000 years. If you had ever taken the time to actually study classical Finnish history, you would know that the Hwan and Finns enjoyed friendly relations for several millennia before Emperor Jeong-Kim provoked hostility by failing to prosecute Hwangook bear poachers who refused to acknowledge the Finnish Khanate's territorial sovereignty. Like I said, read a fucking book.
>>
>>1058308
Sorry for my ignorance, but which small Saxon Kingdom are you talking about?
>>
>>1059502
He is probably talking about the kingdom of Wessex ran by king Alfred (Later Alfred the great)
>>
>>1059506
Thank you
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.