[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Historically, why was Florida settled by colonial powers? Even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: fortfart.jpg (45 KB, 650x390) Image search: [Google]
fortfart.jpg
45 KB, 650x390
Historically, why was Florida settled by colonial powers? Even with no real strategic or economic value?
>>
>controlling the Caribbean and therefor the lines of communication to Central America is worthless

lolno
>>
>>1042148

This. Coastal forts were essential.

But why settlers spread out into the swamps and plains of the Turd Peninsula is puzzling.
>>
Florida and Alabama (west florida) were Spanish colonies. And for the most part played a major economic strategic point for the rest of the other spanish colonies and former Spanish colonies. There were transportation treaties set up using these areas as no-man's land. Basically anglo-americans promised the spanish-americans a cheaper trade to europe and asia. However the didn't keep their word and instead it ravaged their trade. The legend is that at night the anglos would go around dressed as the spanish during festivities and kill the spanish colonialists. Many spanish colonialists either left or anglicized their names and changed their faith. The name supposedly means what goes around comes around clan. or a corruption of quoi/que clue clan. They would go around burning evidence and testimony.
>>
>>1042380
for many centuries the major trade partners for these areas were latin american countries that used to trade rubber boots to use in the swampy lands.
>>
>>1042130
>1650
>not building forts in Florida
Just fuck my shit up, pirates.
>>
>>1042130
Even a place with absolutely no value become valuable once your enemies settle near it.
>>
>>1042130
Yeah I mean it's not like all that coastal land could've been used as ports to transport goods to the Colonies, right?
>>
Seems like a decent place to live and grow cattle desu.
>>
by the way does anyone hate that cheesy 50s palm tree shit vibe florida has? They should cut those down and send them back to south america. Florida is much prettier when you go to places that have the natural fauna.
>>
>>1043183

You mean flora you vile little American.
>>
>>1043183
no
>>
>>1042130
u wot
>>
>>1043191
I stand by my words
>>
File: Calusa Indians.jpg (203 KB, 1200x723) Image search: [Google]
Calusa Indians.jpg
203 KB, 1200x723
>>1045505
So Calusa Indians? Well I suppose if you want to see topless brown qts 24/7.
>>
>>1043183

Depends on the part of Florida. Some parts have a 70s science fiction vibe or a Deliverance vibe.
>>
>>1043183
I unironically love that.
>>
>>1047104

End of their line baby boomers and fake green lawn grass on one end, an un-economical number of antique shops and mold ridden old buildings on the other
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.